Sawyer / Graves Family

chele510

I am trying to trace my family tree but am stuck on my nans side.

Her name was Florence May Sawyer born 12/06/1919 in Bedlington.

Her mum was called Annie Graves and she had the following siblings>>

Robert

William (married Emma and had these kids> Tommy, Joan, Barbara, Dougie and Patricia)

George (may have moved to Birmingham)

Emma

John (marreid Olive and had these kids > John and a girl whose name my dad cant remember.)

Some were called Graves some Sawyer - not sure why maybe second marriage.

My nan married a guy called George Falloon and they adopted a boy called Edward, however in the late 40's early 50's they divorced and my nan moved here to Rotherham, met my grandad Sam Spittle and they had my dad Pete in 1954.

Does any of this ring a bell with anyone? I would love to get some answers

• 2 months later...

Robert

William (married Emma and had these kids> Tommy, Joan, Barbara, Dougie and Patricia)

Emma

John (marreid Olive and had these kids > John and a girl whose name my dad cant remember.)

My nan married a guy called George Falloon and they adopted a boy called Edward, however in the late 40's early 50's they divorced and my nan moved here to Rotherham, met my grandad Sam Spittle and they had my dad Pete in 1954.

Hi

I am the grandson of John and Olive graves and guess what I am called John Graves. Dont know if I will be any help though. Fire some questions and we will see.

cheers

John

Hi

I am the grandson of John and Olive graves and guess what I am called John Graves. Dont know if I will be any help though. Fire some questions and we will see.

cheers

John

Thanks for replying. I have sent you a pm :D

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Robert

Emma

Update - my nans mum was called ANNIE SAWYER but may have also been called GRAVES her maiden name was MARK.

My nans dad was JOHN ROBERT SAWYER.

Nan married GOERGE FALLOON 3rd qu 1940.

Any help please x

• 3 months later...

hi, i'm frank hutton, son of rose graves, whose brother john (pm me john?) is the father of john graves on here.

rose died last year, any way pm me if you want to know more or get in touch etc.....frank

• 5 years later...

Robert

Emma

William married Ethel not Emma...My mother who married Goerge Falloon did not get divorced until the 70's and that was in Rotherham..there was also a sibling called Tom Graves who was the eldest..I have been in contact with Edward and his son on facebook ,they live in Morpeth

• 9 months later...

Being a very unusual name,thought I would mention an old fella,who was a hauler-driver [steel-rope winch],underground,at Bates pit,called Matty Sawyer.

He was the canniest bloke you would ever wish ti meet.

That was in 1971 when I started Bates,after Bedlington A pit closed,and Matty seemed a good age then..with no disrespect intended.

Mind,I was only 27 yrs old,and a pit Deputy in charge of Matty,as part of my district workforce,and at that age anyone over 40 was ancient to me.....queer how your perception of time and age changes as you get older.

Wonder if "Matty", could have been a middle name,or even just a nickname,not forgetting the whole of the National Coal Board,including Mines Inspectors from London,who carried out official visits to every pit,by law,only knew ME , by "WILMA"!!

The pay clerks knew my real name,they had to,to pay me,but they still called me Wilma,casually!!

SO,Matty MAY have been a distant relation,[or even a close one who knows?]

On the subject of names,another example was a lad who worked doon Choppington High Pit,and HE was called.."Bet",which,[i think],was an abbreviation of his real name.."Bethanie"..[his old Father also had the same name,and worked down there as well.]

• 1 month later...

You're right about the perception of time Wilma - I just worked out your age from the dates you mention, I thought you were at least 100!

• 2 months later...

Sarky Sod!....watch your windaes marra......!!

Just been browsin' aroond and cum across ye here,Steve!!......thi lads doon thi pit used ti say aa was 21 when a was born!![mind...aa divvent knaa if that was an insult or a compliment...!!]

Cheers Steve for ya kind observations!

If rather that than getting 'greased' lol

Was talking to a lad couple of days ago who had similar happen when he was a mechanic.. So wasn't just a pit thing.

I'm pleased I stuck to computers lol!

• 5 years later...
On 24/09/2006 at 17:45, chele510 said:

Robert

Emma

Yup, that’s my Granda John Graves (married to Olive), of Shiney Row Bedlington, and great uncle George Sawyer who married Kath, they lived Sheldon, Birmingham. Didn’t know the others, sorry x

4 minutes ago, lilbill15 said:

@chele510Yup, that’s my Granda John Graves (married to Olive), of Shiney Row Bedlington, and great uncle George Sawyer who married Kath, they lived Sheldon, Birmingham. Didn’t know the others, sorry x

On 06/08/2009 at 21:07, chele510 said:

Update - my nans mum was called ANNIE SAWYER but may have also been called GRAVES her maiden name was MARK.

My nans dad was JOHN ROBERT SAWYER.

Nan married GOERGE FALLOON 3rd qu 1940.

Any help please x

@chele510Hello there, I’ve picked up on this because John Graves was my Granda and I have recently picked up Keith Batey and John Graves (3rd) on this site who are long lost cousins. Keith is the son of John Graves eldest daughter Mary and John is the son of John (Jack) Graves only son also John (lots of imagination in that family!)  I’d like to help if I can? I’ve emailed Keith to let him know x

On 24/09/2006 at 17:45, chele510 said:

Robert

Emma

John married Olive and —>Mary, Rose Mary and John, +Christine 

Mary and Harry had Keith ++~Keith can tell you the rest.  Rose married Frank Hutton and -> Roseanne and Frank JA,                                            John married June and —>John +?

@lilbill15- I hope you do get replies from the members you have commented to above but it is a long time sine the comments above were posted and since those members last visited this site. 

If you select the members name the system gives you an option = Go to xxxxxxx's profile. The profile shows you when that person joined this group and the last time they visited/Logged into this group. It was 2007 when Johnboy last logged in and 2009 when Chele510 last logged in - see screen shots below :-    

info.jpg

info2.jpg

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now