Who have you seen?

TonyC

Shane Fenton and the Fen tones, Clayton Ballroom, entrance fee one shilling and sixpence

I raise you a The Shadows at The Empire!

Year? Well, would rather not say even if I could remember accurately. With a dozen hormonal teenage Bedlington girls, and I just hope none of same are reading this! Entrance: Can't recall; probably a couple of bob.

Hmmm... more people claim to have been there than the capacity of the place...

A much more impressive list would go as follows:

Sleeper - Newcastle University

The Fall - Some grotty folk club in Leeds

The Boo Radleys - Also Newcastle University

Blur - Mayfair, Arena and some festivals

Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine - maybe Trillians...

Tenpole Tudor - Trillians again... eek

The Super Furry Animals - A number of times, usually Newcastle University

The Kaiser Chiefs - a load of places in Leeds before they became the Kaiser Chiefs

Belle and Sebastian - Numerous venues

Future of the Left - downstairs at the Head of Steam... still have tinitus

Steve Harley (minus Cockney Rebel) - Possibly the same venue as the fall

Stephen Malkmus - Manchester somewhere

Jonathan Richman - in a cathderal

The Apples in Stereo - Possibly the best gig ever, somewhere in town (where one apple was dressed as Evil Kineval)

Shed Seven - the Riverside, punched Rick Witter

The Shins - Same place in Manchester as Malkmus, but a different night

Morrissey (and every Smiths tribute band going) - All over the country

Numerous Brit and Swedish Pop bands, whose name I have since forgotten, in venues that no longer exist

Sadly, the list never included Menswear... suppose I could just tell everyone I saw them at the Mayfair though?

Mmmmmmmm MrsVic how could you forget that awesome night at Manchester watching the 'D'!!!!!!!

Mmmmmmmm MrsVic how could you forget that awesome night at Manchester watching the 'D'!!!!!!!

A copius ammount of brandy with vodka chasers is why. Never again. Did we have a good time?

Here's some of the ones i recall:

AC/DC

Green Day (twice i believe)

Foo Fighters

Bon Jovi (against my will)

Reef

Blur

Oasis (four times)

Ocean Colour Scene

Amy Winehouse

Rolling Stones (twickenham 2006)

The Who

Bob Dylan (once at slane castle, second time at arena)

Paul Weller

Black Keys

Bootleg Beatles

Morrisey

Paul Mccartney

Kasabian

Charlatans

Graham Coxon

Proclaimers

U2

The Libertines

Kings of Leon

Babyshambles

Bedouin Soundclash

Futureheads

Maximo Park

Ian Brown

Ryan Adams

Sigur Ros

Dirty Pretty Things

Stereophonics

Richard Ashcroft

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Me and the girly have been right getting into our folk music recently, attended the Green Man Festival in the Brecon Beacons, Wales in August and had an excellent relaxed time for a muddy festival. Small intimate and everyone so friendly.

Went to the Sage last weekend and seen The Smoke Fairies. They were good but the two supporting acts were better in my opinion.

Jonny Kearney & Lucy Farrell - http://www.jonnyandlucy.com/

Both graduates of the Newcastle University Folk Degree course, Lucy plays fiddle and Jonny guitar. Both sing. Lucy has the most beautiful voice I've encountered for a long time, while Jonny's sensitive playing establishes the spare, delicate, dignified, soothing, agreeably old-fashioned character of the arrangements. Jonny also writes imaginative and tender songs that would stand out in their own right, but here are considerably enhanced by quite lovely performances (perhaps the best are 'Benjamin Brown' and 'Lullaby' – the latter being a love song to a partner who is too drunk to leave a party). Another highlight is 'Hares On The Mountain'; I've heard many versions of this rather beautiful traditional standard, but none this brilliant. Stars are born.

Sensational and interacted with the crowd nicely.

Will be attending the Sage over the next couple of months for a few other events. Worth checking out for anyone who likes something a bit different.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's always a mystery when they disappear.  It could be for any number of reasons:  they've croaked and not left instructions to their next of kin to inform us, they've been lifted by the Peelers and are now in the pokey, they're on the run, they've moved-on having outgrown the childishness sometime on display here.  Or, perhaps the guys with their fingers on the kill-trigger switch here have 'terminated' them.

It's always a mystery when they disappear.  It could be for any number of reasons:  they've croaked and not left instructions to their next of kin to inform us, they've been lifted by the Peelers and are now in the pokey, they're on the run, they've moved-on having outgrown the childishness sometime on display here.  Or, perhaps the guys with their fingers on the kill-trigger switch here have 'terminated' them.

Definitley not croaked it Symptons, at least i think I've not. Pellers not this week. Time is the answer not much of it these days.

Anyway, great subject, so here's my list (far from complete) to inspire those yet to contribute; venues varied,  but mostly in Manchester

James - tons of times, the original guitarist is a friend

Paris Angels (who? Yes, yes, I know....)

Flowered Up - oh well,. can't win them all

The Bolshoi

The Waterboys - best live act ever

U2

REM

The Ramones

Billy Bragg

Band of Holy Joy - beg steal or borrow to see these guys, they are unique

The Chameleons

Alternative TV

PIL - for three songs as support to James at Alton Towers, plug pulled when crowd wouldn't atop chucking bottles of p*** as Lydon

Violent Femmes - who should have supported James (see above) but were disallowed on the grounds they were not suitable for a family event. But Johnny Rotten was....

The Cult

Motley Crue (yes, really.......)

Cheap Trick (the reason I sat through Motley Crue.....)

Bob Dylan

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Jackson Browne

Bradford (??)

Cactus World News

The Bolshoi

The Alarm

Big Country

Lone Justice - can I have Maria McKee on a plate, please?

Stiff Little FIngers

Simple MInds

Lloyd Cole and the Commotions

Spear of Destiny

Blue Aeroplanes (mesmeric, truly...)

World Party

The Triffids

The Stone Roses (awful; truly, genuinely awful)

And so on; harking back to Mrs Vic's comment about the NIrvana gig at the Mayfair, I must have been the only person in the north west who didn't attend the Sex Pistols legendary appearance at the Lesser Free Trade Hall in Manchester in '76. If you believe everyone who says they did, that wonderful venue has a capacity of three and a half million.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now