The Best Peek At The Asus T91 So Far...

threegee

http://blip.tv/play/Ae3eUIzSQQ

There's a preview of the interface here:

I think the disappointment about the two cell un-removable battery might be a bit premature. The Z series CPU is even less power-hungry than the usual Atom N270, and, even more significantly, out goes the usual netbook's Intel 945GSE power-hungry graphics chip, to be replaced by something far more suitable to a lightweight battery operated device. Should deliver better graphics performance than the run-of-the-mill netbook whilst having far lower battery drain.

An affordable Sony P11Z with nicer features, shipping next month, maybe. :D

http://blip.tv/play/Ae3eUIzSQQ

There's a preview of the interface here:

I think the disappointment about the two cell un-removable battery might be a bit premature. The Z series CPU is even less power-hungry than the usual Atom N270, and, even more significantly, out goes the usual netbook's Intel 945GSE power-hungry graphics chip, to be replaced by something far more suitable to a lightweight battery operated device. Should deliver better graphics performance than the run-of-the-mill netbook whilst having far lower battery drain.

An affordable Sony P11Z with nicer features, shipping next month, maybe. :D

whats the point of a 10inch screen won't that not reck you eyes straining at that? unless your stuck on a form of public transport i cant see the point, and ad rather be looking at a screen size of 19" or more and sitting in comfort :D .

I don't understand why anyone would want to comment on something they are not even interested in. If flea-power machines you can stick in your pocket don't interest you then post on something that does.

Anyway, it's not a 10" it's an 8.9". I've been using this size of screen for years and my tired old eyes find it more than adequate for most work. Yes, I do use a wide-screen 22" monitor too, and I also use a 4" screen about 20 times a day as well. It's horses for courses.

The current 8.9" machine is too heavy to pocket, it's not touch screen, it hasn't got 3G networking or Bluetooth built in, and the GPS on my 4" gismo is useful. So useful that a one built in to a bigger screen that could be pocketed or handbaged would be great.

I often use the 8.9 machine just to get away from the desk, and it's sitting at the desk that gives me a sore neck (I have an upper spine problem that's not treatable). So quite the opposite of what you assume there.

What will make or break the T91 for me is whether the screen is sunlight readable. This might not matter a scrap to you but it makes all the difference to how and where I use a computer. Even if the T91's sunlight screen readability is a deal-breaker for me this is the way computers are going - see your own post on the demise of the mouse.

I'd like to hear about your electricity bill soaring boxes, but excuse me if I can no longer find a use for this class of machine. They are obviously still right for (an ever decreasing number of) users.

I don't understand why anyone would want to comment on something they are not even interested in. If flea-power machines you can stick in your pocket don't interest you then post on something that does.

Anyway, it's not a 10" it's an 8.9". I've been using this size of screen for years and my tired old eyes find it more than adequate for most work. Yes, I do use a wide-screen 22" monitor too, and I also use a 4" screen about 20 times a day as well. It's horses for courses.

The current 8.9" machine is too heavy to pocket, it's not touch screen, it hasn't got 3G networking or Bluetooth built in, and the GPS on my 4" gismo is useful. So useful that a one built in to a bigger screen that could be pocketed or handbaged would be great.

I often use the 8.9 machine just to get away from the desk, and it's sitting at the desk that gives me a sore neck (I have an upper spine problem that's not treatable). So quite the opposite of what you assume there.

What will make or break the T91 for me is whether the screen is sunlight readable. This might not matter a scrap to you but it makes all the difference to how and where I use a computer. Even if the T91's sunlight screen readability is a deal-breaker for me this is the way computers are going - see your own post on the demise of the mouse.

I'd like to hear about your electricity bill soaring boxes, but excuse me if I can no longer find a use for this class of machine. They are obviously still right for (an ever decreasing number of) users.

its my opinion! and i must have some sort of interest otherwise i wouldn't post :D ok i can see the use of portable machines i just hate small screens.

what do you mean an ever decreasing number of desktop users! 71% of people still use desktops including the custom builders!

• 2 weeks later...
..what do you mean an ever decreasing number of desktop users! 71% of people still use desktops including the custom builders!

I mean that the laptop overtook the desktop in sales quite some while ago. Where did the 71% figure come from? You've just got to put your head inside a shop to see where the sales volume now is.

Yes, I recently built a "desktop" too, but with an ITX mobo and a case the size of a tin of biscuits it's much closer to a laptop than it is to anything I'd have had on my desk (or on the floor beside it) up to about three years back. And.. there's an increasing volume of media-centre type PCs as well - you can't call those desktops. Ditto true pocket PCs.

there's an increasing volume of media-centre type PCs as well - you can't call those desktops.

why not its just a pc in a styled case you still need a monitor, keyboard and mouse or other input device (remote contol) to use it! :D

IUS_XPC500_package.jpg

• 1 month later...

Only a very few weeks now http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2009/05/08/as...nching-by-june/ :)

£450 sounds a lot for a netbook, but T91 was always going to be £350+. If this is the one with TV, GPS and at least 32GB of single layer flash it will be worth it. Pity it's shipped with Windows, but it will take a while to exploit all that hardware in a Linux distro. Cheaper versions to come.

Definitely the machine to be seen with this year. So much more functional than the Apple, and a fraction of the price.

• 4 weeks later...

T91 launch again postponed if this article dated yesterday is to be believed. :angry:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/news/255763...een-eee-pc.html

"£449 inc VAT when it's released in July"

This was the proposed launch date of the 10" T101 version. Still remains to be seen if it has GPS and TV in this configuration. If it hasn't it's too expensive, and will likely only appeal to people who buy overpriced gear like macbooks until the discounts kick in! :P

Some more good deals coming though as it's rumoured that Asus will kill off virtually all the existing eee netbook models later in the year. The PC900a is already selling below £200 delivered to the door price in 16GB configuration.

• 1 month later...

A few trickling out now, but without the GPS and TV (or HSDPA) modules it's about £100 overpriced. So you won't be seeing an in-depth review of it here for a good while. :(

The T101 has been put back for at least a further 2 to 3 months and most probably to pre-Christmas. By that time there will likely be some serious competition.

Meanwhile the Gigabyte M912X has been reduced to £359, and if it didn't have the power hungry and under-performing Intel 945GSE chipset I'd buy one tomorrow. Oh for a touchscreen netbook with Nvidia Ion graphics! That might be a tad power hungry too, but at least it would have commensurate graphics performance.

So, despite netbooks everywhere now, there's still no obvious best choice machine.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now