Ford Garage > Pool Hall?

Hello Bedlington,

Does anyone know what is happening to the Old Ford Garage? I am thinking about contacting the owners to see if it would be possible to buy the property. It has been empty now for ages and it seems like such a shame for it just to sit there until it falls down.

I was thinking of re-fitting the inside and making it into a themed pool hall, i know how popular and important the pool league in Bedlington is, and although most pubs have a pool table in them, i think it would be a great opportunity as a leisure facility for everyone in Bedlington as well as people who want to keep ahead of the game and get in that extra practice for the league.

If this was to go ahead i would look at serving hot food and soft drinks and alcohol. I would also like to get SKY installed so we could show the football etc and also a good music system where we can play the latest from the charts and also play music from local artists.

So what do you think Bedlington? i am interested to hear anyone's views on this, let me know if you think its worthwhile or what you would facilities you would like if this was to go ahead, etc.

I'd support anything happening to it so long as it was getting used and if it's going to benefit the people of Bedlington in any way and get a few kids off the streets then even better.

One thing though - isn’t there a pool hall at the station? Not sure what else it offers besides the pool though...

Snooker isnt it?

at least it was at one time.

if it is a pool hall now, i don't hear much about it!

Not sure to be honest. I remember people saying the garage was going to be an old people’s home... wasn’t it in the paper at one time too?

Just found this posted by councillor Arthur Pegg on his website about the garage:

18/01/2008

At last planning permission has been passed to develop the old Elliot's Garage on Front Street.

Apparently the site is to accommodate a 40 bedroomed old-people's home.

ElliotsGarage.jpg

This will mean there will eventually be seven such homes in the Bedlington area.

I believe that unfortunately there will be only six or seven car parking places attached to the building and they are for the use of staff that will be working there, which will mean that anyone visiting their relatives or friends who will live there will have to park their car in the carpark situated behind TESCOs.

However, at least, hopefully, the home will be an improvement on the building that currently occupies the site.

Hey Guys, thanks for reading and kick starting this topic, i hadn't realised that there was a snooker club in Bedlington Station, will see if i can find out what it has to offer. Thanks for the snippet Blank, i see that its dated from Jan last year yet its still derelict and waiting for some potential to be injected back into it, does bedlington need a seventh care home? the place seems like its going to be brimming with care homes before long. lol

Hey Guys, thanks for reading and kick starting this topic, i hadn't realised that there was a snooker club in Bedlington Station, will see if i can find out what it has to offer. Thanks for the snippet Blank, i see that its dated from Jan last year yet its still derelict and waiting for some potential to be injected back into it, does bedlington need a seventh care home? the place seems like its going to be brimming with care homes before long. lol

well being over a year old i doubt anything will come of it. there is a pool hall at the clayton, it has a snooker table, couple of pool tables, not sure about prices on the bar or if they do food. i'd well go to the pool hall down the front street. the one at the station is dark, dingy and old and really has no atmosphere what so ever, i wouldn't go back there. plus its really small.

Hello Bedlington,

Does anyone know what is happening to the Old Ford Garage? I am thinking about contacting the owners to see if it would be possible to buy the property. It has been empty now for ages and it seems like such a shame for it just to sit there until it falls down.

I was thinking of re-fitting the inside and making it into a themed pool hall, i know how popular and important the pool league in Bedlington is, and although most pubs have a pool table in them, i think it would be a great opportunity as a leisure facility for everyone in Bedlington as well as people who want to keep ahead of the game and get in that extra practice for the league.

If this was to go ahead i would look at serving hot food and soft drinks and alcohol. I would also like to get SKY installed so we could show the football etc and also a good music system where we can play the latest from the charts and also play music from local artists.

So what do you think Bedlington? i am interested to hear anyone's views on this, let me know if you think its worthwhile or what you would facilities you would like if this was to go ahead, etc.

I've lost count of the amount of nights' sleep I've lost worrying about the pool league, well done that man.

NB: basically, you're proposing a pub with more than one pool table? Cue-tastic.

I've lost count of the amount of nights' sleep I've lost worrying about the pool league, well done that man.

NB: basically, you're proposing a pub with more than one pool table? Cue-tastic.

well i think it's a good idea. but i agree with cympil, not getting my hopes up.

I say "bring back Bacci's in the Market Place!" This 60's billiard hall was the place where mis-spent youth could be generated ... ah, happy days (as long as parents didn't find out)!

I seem to remember he had a couple of tables at the back of the café then more upstairs in the hall, access up a narrow rickety staircase ... but maybe memory is playing tricks. Also I can't remember if Bacci is the correct spelling. Maybe others can confirm.

I say "bring back Bacci's in the Market Place!" This 60's billiard hall was the place where mis-spent youth could be generated ... ah, happy days (as long as parents didn't find out)!

I seem to remember he had a couple of tables at the back of the café then more upstairs in the hall, access up a narrow rickety staircase ... but maybe memory is playing tricks. Also I can't remember if Bacci is the correct spelling. Maybe others can confirm.

Freddie Bacci

Thanks for all of your comments. I have today tracked down Barry Elliot and have sent him an email and will follow up with a formal letter of enquiry if i do not hear back from him in the next few days. I am going to try my best to get a conversation going with Barry as i dont want this to be another Bedlington Pipe dream that floats away.

Will keep you all updated.

Chris

Too right Ping Pong is fantastic... shame you tube is not, now they've removed all their pop videos and you get stuck with awful quality bootlegs :o

Ooh... MTV do a better version, if you're prepared to watch an advert... Stereolab at their finest... yeah! :D

you tube is bad quality anyway! should be called fuzz tube! :huh::lol:

The Bedlington Chute.

I don’t want to pour cold water on your idea chris but with all the boozers closing will there be a pool league left? Also at a time of less than available commercial credit and the fact that it is right bang in the middle of a conservation area considering build costs, RV and normal running costs might mean returns per square foot are not viable?

Best of luck anyway.

Remember what Boris Johnson (for all those who isolated themselves in the plastic world of Soap Opera and Z-List Celebs he's the Mayor of London ) called it at the Olympics ... "whiff-waff". Got a certain ring to it; I can just imagine some of the locals calling-out across Front Street - "fancy a game of whiff-waff, Geordie?".

I heard rumour's that Wetherspoon's were interested in it. Or maybe they could buy the Red Lion.

They've been after it for years, but i heard something along the lines of them wanting the old police station next door too, and they can't for some reason?

The Bedlington Chute.

I don’t want to pour cold water on your idea chris but with all the boozers closing will there be a pool league left? Also at a time of less than available commercial credit and the fact that it is right bang in the middle of a conservation area considering build costs, RV and normal running costs might mean returns per square foot are not viable?

Best of luck anyway.

Chris has his parade well and truly rained upon. A deluge in fact.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now