Motorbikes

HPW the question I asked about the bike was from my old 'Rocker' of a husband.

Bikes were an important part of his teenage and early twenties life in Lancashire.

He thought the bike was a 500 Clubman Goldstar,

later he thought not. Tank and seat not quite right!

The 'cafe' part I am informed was something that maybe started on the North Circular Road London at the 'Ace' cafe.

This topic got me reminiscing about my late Dad (George Turnbull), and a few Google searches brought up an interview with the great Jim Redman, a name I'm sure Foxy will be familiar with. There's a typical quote in an interview with him about trying to dissuade Mike Hailwood from riding on The Mountain; those who know me will recognise a similar trait in me:

"....Then we walked into the Douglas Head pub and George Turnbull, who was always in the pub, never anywhere else, and wrote the best race reports, said; 'Here they come; the living legends.'"

Remarkable.

He is,I remember meeting him when I was a kid, most likely at Oulton Park I think. Those were the days when Journo's worked from the pub, and bike racers were real men!

A number of years ago one of Mick's helmets, that he'd worn - I think - on a then record lap of the IoM course, was sold for charity on the island. My father bought it, and my brother used to wear it while riding his bikes. He still has it, along with one of Hailwood's, and a couple of others.

• 2 weeks later...

HPW the question I asked about the bike was from my old 'Rocker' of a husband.

Bikes were an important part of his teenage and early twenties life in Lancashire.

He thought the bike was a 500 Clubman Goldstar,

later he thought not. Tank and seat not quite right!

The 'cafe' part I am informed was something that maybe started on the North Circular Road London at the 'Ace' cafe.

Aye Maggie,anybody could be forgiven for that one,it's the swept pipe lookalike that takes ya eye!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now