SITA's Landfill Expansion Plan

Brett

Im not sure how many of you are aware of the proposals at Seghill.

Residents of North Tyneside and Blyth Valley fighting expansion plans from SITA UK Ltd were shocked to learn of recent developments in North Tyneside . SITA are applying to extend the size and life of the Seghill Landfill Site to 300,000 tonnes per annum until as late as 2022. If granted planning permission SITA will destroy a large area of agricultural land in the greenbelt and adjacent to the Seaton Burn wildlife corridor, prolonging the nuisance and loss of access to amenity/recreational land for years to come.

• 3 weeks later...

We live in Holystone, not far from the planned new site. We also have problems from Holystone Waste; who recycle household waste just over a field from us (the actual site is next to a housing estate, so we get off a bit lightly in comparision).

We all know that recycling is environmentally sound. But why near concentrations of populations?

Bedlington used to have a land fill site in the early 80's (I think), in the remains of the opencast mine between Bedlington & Choppington. Away from housing etc....

Why cant they do that now - somewhere where is hurts no one?

Its the smell in the summer that is the worst thing about the landfill site, when there is a slight wind it drifts over the surrounding villages carrying with it a rather revolting rotten egg smell.

I do believe there is also plans to extend the landfill site at Ellington

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now