Bedlington Terrier Closing For Good

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bell isn’t actually closing for good though is it? The manager's just giving it up - someone else will take it on surely.

Aye, people are desperate to hoy their money away on run-down shitholes.

Perhaps, for us exiles, somebody still living in Bedlington could do a pub/club head-count. Maybe the survey could start at the area at the top of Front St and show those still in business and what's happened to those that have closed (new use). Old timers on here could fill-in any gaps, eg. Top Club on Front St burned down approx date (?), Tankerville Arms on Glebe Rd demolished approx date (?).

Ridge Farm - check

Netherton Club - check

The Wharton - check

Red Lion - RIP

Golf Club - check

Top Club - check

Blue Bell - RIP

Movies - check

Grapes - check

Sun - check

Market Tavern - check

Market Place Club - check

Northumberland Arms - check

The Monkey - check

Black Bull - check

Dun Coo - RIP

Terriers Club - check

Bedlington Terrier - RIP

Bank Top - check

Clayton - check

Percy - check

Railway - check

Station Club - check

Hamburger Pimp's Gentlemen's Relish Club - check

Still plenty of watering holes available to sate even the largest of thirsts.

Ridge Farm - check

Netherton Club - check

The Wharton - check

Red Lion - RIP

Golf Club - check

Top Club - check

Blue Bell - RIP

Movies - check

Grapes - check

Sun - check

Market Tavern - check

Market Place Club - check

Northumberland Arms - check

The Monkey - check

Black Bull - check

Dun Coo - RIP

Terriers Club - check

Bedlington Terrier - RIP

Bank Top - check

Clayton - check

Percy - check

Railway - check

Station Club - check

Hamburger Pimp's Gentlemen's Relish Club - check

Still plenty of watering holes available to sate even the largest of thirsts.

missed fuggles :D

Passed the Terrier Pub today and noticed a banner up saying they were closing for good on the 8th of March. Apparently the brewery has sold the building and the land and it’s due to be turned into a care home in the near future.

The question is, will anyone miss it?

I spent many a good night there in the sixties, we would all gather in the big back room until closing and then go to the Dominoe until 2. Then walk home to Westlea. Do they still have the Off-License?

Not a pub, but J R Johnson's footwear emporium would appear to be shutting, advertising as they are, a closing down sale.

Has anyone ever even considered buying a pair of shoes from there? It makes one wonder how these places have stayed open so long.

Not a pub, but J R Johnson's footwear emporium would appear to be shutting, advertising as they are, a closing down sale.

Has anyone ever even considered buying a pair of shoes from there? It makes one wonder how these places have stayed open so long.

Used to get shoes from there when I were a nipper.

If I had an uncommitted pound for every time I've heard the phrase "due to be" in connection with the town...

Clive's Clogs on Credit closing!! :o Ol' Mr J will be rotating in his casket. I'd be made to trot along there for a new pair of something in the 1950's, and a quality British product they were. Last purchase would be some time in the 1980's when my wife brought some in to try on. A regular customer, at least once a decade - on average.

Clive will be nearing retirement, if not already retired, and - like may other Bedlington business families - there seems to be no future in the place. An attitude strongly promoted by stay-in-power (by sucking up to ignorance and stupidity) local politicians.

Still, we've now got the "due to be" built Enterprise Center (with its vast 6 car park) to regenerate local enterprise. And, failing that, the new Market Place will be a great place to busk in. :rolleyes:

HP wrote: "Has anyone ever even considered buying a pair of shoes from there? It makes one wonder how these places have stayed open so long."

The problem is most folks tend to to be shod in trainers these days - and these generally fat, out of condition lumps are often seen wearing track-suits ... oh the irony of it all. All this inappropriate clobber (90% of which is made by slave-labour in the Chinese gulags or the kiddy sweat-shops of the Far East) is usually bought in retail park sheds. No wonder the local shopkeepers don't stand a chance of survival, never mind being able to sell quality clothes or shoes. Thank goodness I can pop across the Saville Row for my tailored shirts and hand-made leather shoes.

HP wrote: "Has anyone ever even considered buying a pair of shoes from there? It makes one wonder how these places have stayed open so long."

The problem is most folks tend to to be shod in trainers these days - and these generally fat, out of condition lumps are often seen wearing track-suits ... oh the irony of it all. All this inappropriate clobber (90% of which is made by slave-labour in the Chinese gulags or the kiddy sweat-shops of the Far East) is usually bought in retail park sheds. No wonder the local shopkeepers don't stand a chance of survival, never mind being able to sell quality clothes or shoes. Thank goodness I can pop across the Saville Row for my tailored shirts and hand-made leather shoes.

true there are a lot of vicky pollards about but did you ever go in that shop? it was like something from the twilight zone! :lol::lol: nen wonder its shuting down its just to old fashioned, like they say in business you have to move with the times to make money! and in this economic climate shops like primark are making a mint as people cant afford saville row anymore! :D

true there are a lot of vicky pollards about but did you ever go in that shop? it was like something from the twilight zone! :lol::lol: nen wonder its shuting down its just to old fashioned, like they say in business you have to move with the times to make money! and in this economic climate shops like primark are making a mint as people cant afford saville row anymore! :D

You have a point monsta but if everything is reduced to the lowest common denominator don’t we loose choice?

You have a point monsta but if everything is reduced to the lowest common denominator don't we loose choice?

not really primark has a great range of tatty clays that fall apart after the second wash :lol::lol: falling that you can always trust george not to have your size or actually anything worth wearing :lol::lol:

not really primark has a great range of tatty clays that fall apart after the second wash :lol::lol: falling that you can always trust george not to have your size or actually anything worth wearing :lol::lol:

But where is Sym going to buy his toffs rags? Are we only going to show individually in slight colour changes to the same shell suits?

Speaking of shoes there is one thing which has baffled me (I know that’s easy monsta!) but where does the older generation buy their shoes, coz they all wear the same ones, and I have never seen them for sale anywhere? Maybe this shop had the market cornered and that was they it stayed open for so long?

But where is Sym going to buy his toffs rags? Are we only going to show individually in slight colour changes to the same shell suits?

Speaking of shoes there is one thing which has baffled me (I know that's easy monsta!) but where does the older generation buy their shoes, coz they all wear the same ones, and I have never seen them for sale anywhere? Maybe this shop had the market cornered and that was they it stayed open for so long?

they have specail catologues you sometimes get them in with the junk mail! they also sell them see through rain macs :D

blank wrote: " ... only because they only seem to sell shoes for the over 70's."

Ah, desert boots (for our younger viewers - ankle high, beige lace-ups with a crepe rubber sole), sheep-skin lined Tartan Granny slippers, winkle-pickers, brothel creepers, Hush Puppies, sand-shoes and basketball boots (and the young-uns think that Converse All Stars are new).

See-through rain macs* Monster??? At least wearing one of those will save you having to unbutton it when out flashing. (joke)

*In the day ... known as Pack-a-Macs

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now