How Utterly Pathetic!

threegee

Take a look at the video:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...ire/7883819.stm

One dumb kid larking on slips and loses a bit of skin.

Old days: school matron (often doubling another job) dabs a bit of TCP on it and a sticky plaster; admonishes kid to be more careful. Life (and education) continue.

Today: Paramedics called at considerable expense - eeeaww eeeaww eeeaww. Conference on on-going situation. TV news crew alerted to news-worthy critical situation. Health and Saftey officer consultation. School must be closed for H&S reasons. Thousands of people and business disrupted. Thousands of additional journeys (on icy roads) putting even more countless thousands at risk. More conferences, lots of form-filling, written reports, recommendations (need to order road salt before Winter?), targets set, performance monitoring.

What a total load of cobblers! What a message to the kids about facing up to risk in the real world; taking responsibility for your own actions; taking individual initiative; employing elementary common sense! Ship a few head teachers out to Gaza to see what risk is all about.

Is it that the generation that lived through the blitz are gone? In the rather cushioned '60s I drove a motor scooter through 20 foot snowdrifts to get to school. And you know we were handed strange things called shovels, which were great at moving snow and ice. The exercise was quite good for our health, and the resulting paths through the school yard were equally good for our safety. Unfortunately we didn't have pretty strips of flourescent plastic to cordon off the snowfall and ice, you just sort-of kept to the cleared bits using your own powers of observation.

In the rather cushioned '60s I drove a motor scooter through 20 foot snowdrifts to get to school.

And I thought you were just a board mod, not a bored MOD! :D

Sadly no. Scooter was only a way of getting from A to B. If Bedlington had had a mod chapter might well have joined though. :)

Apparently kids aren't allowed them (legaly) these days. Wonder why? Might have something to do with a society that is so confused that it believes a good take-away restaurant can be disadvantaged or diminished by calling it what it has always been affectionately called. (see Take-away thread) Carol Thatcher you are not alone in believing that the loonies are running the asylum.

Rant over - for now!

• 2 weeks later...
Take a look at the video:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...ire/7883819.stm

One dumb kid larking on slips and loses a bit of skin.

Old days: school matron (often doubling another job) dabs a bit of TCP on it and a sticky plaster; admonishes kid to be more careful. Life (and education) continue.

Today: Paramedics called at considerable expense - eeeaww eeeaww eeeaww. Conference on on-going situation. TV news crew alerted to news-worthy critical situation. Health and Saftey officer consultation. School must be closed for H&S reasons. Thousands of people and business disrupted. Thousands of additional journeys (on icy roads) putting even more countless thousands at risk. More conferences, lots of form-filling, written reports, recommendations (need to order road salt before Winter?), targets set, performance monitoring.

What a total load of cobblers! What a message to the kids about facing up to risk in the real world; taking responsibility for your own actions; taking individual initiative; employing elementary common sense! Ship a few head teachers out to Gaza to see what risk is all about.

Is it that the generation that lived through the blitz are gone? In the rather cushioned '60s I drove a motor scooter through 20 foot snowdrifts to get to school. And you know we were handed strange things called shovels, which were great at moving snow and ice. The exercise was quite good for our health, and the resulting paths through the school yard were equally good for our safety. Unfortunately we didn't have pretty strips of flourescent plastic to cordon off the snowfall and ice, you just sort-of kept to the cleared bits using your own powers of observation.

Damn thought you were on about HP :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is it that the generation that lived through the blitz are gone? In the rather cushioned '60s I drove a motor scooter through 20 foot snowdrifts to get to school. And you know we were handed strange things called shovels, which were great at moving snow and ice. Unfortunately we didn't have pretty strips of flourescent plastic to cordon off the snowfall and ice, you just sort-of kept to the cleared bits using your own powers of observation.

Early 1965, I ran into a drift near West Moor on my little Zundapp and went A over B, when I stood up I realisd my bike was nowhere to be seen. After a little while I noticed a slight plume of steam, gotcha!

GGG wrote: "Old days: school matron (often doubling another job) dabs a bit of TCP on it and a sticky plaster; admonishes kid to be more careful. Life (and education) continue."

Blimmey, kids at my school ran the risk of being plonked on the knee (or more often than not the lap) of Mr X (name withheld for legal reasons) for 'care & attention'. He always seemed very 'pleased' to offer comfort and always mentioned the bulge in his trousers was his baccy tin. :o

TCP & sticky plaster, puh! GGG went to the softies school :D

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now