Revamp For Bedlington Market Place

Cympil

I `ve just read in the Journal Live

`Work on a revamp for Bedlington's Market Place is hoped to start next month and be completed by late summer, according to a report to Wansbeck councillors.

Changes have been made to the scheme's design and materials after four tenders from shortlisted contractors came in at about 20% above the budget.`

What is this referring to? Is it just the Market place in general or is this part of the Tesco lark? Although Tesco isn`t mentioned at all?

What is this referring to? Is it just the Market place in general or is this part of the Tesco lark? Although Tesco isn`t mentioned at all?

Nowt to do with Tesco........Bedders managed to get awarded a million for upgrades yonks ago......

Course some might say that ain't enough as local publicly owned assets have been sold which have brought in more than that figure?

Nowt to do with Tesco........Bedders managed to get awarded a million for upgrades yonks ago......

Course some might say that ain't enough as local publicly owned assets have been sold which have brought in more than that figure?

But what work is going to be done at the Market Place? Any ideas?

Basically they are going to dig up the whole Market Place area and bring the levels up so that the incline is only 1 in 100. They will replace/reinstate the old wall that used to run down towards the Bachee's shop and Salmon Place (Gap Site area). The site will be paved using the same stone as Morpeth market place with a tree and a grass area + new seating, not of the same type as there is now a 'theme' for the whole street. There will be power supplier for market stalls etc if and when the market moves there.

...there is now a 'theme' for the whole street....

I call it my Brown-Devastation Period. :D

Another budget to spend - another reshuffle of the Titanic's deckchairs. Half the money spent on encouraging in-town small business, half the regulatory !*!@#, and we might start to get back some of the sense of community that has been lost through one thorougly bad planning decision after another.

Beg to differ on this one GGG. This is grant money community groups worked for and yes WDC match funded but basically it is only though the hard work and effort of some publically spirited members of our community that this scheme has born fruit. We might not agree with what actually appears (and there were chances to have input into that) but the fact that something is happening is to be applauded, so hats off to those people.

Maybe if the business community got its act together some of your points might be addressed? Although hard to see that once the town gets split into two!

...(and there were chances to have input into that) but the fact that something is happening is to be applauded, so hats off to those people.

Maybe if the business community got its act together some of your points might be addressed? Although hard to see that once the town gets split into two!

The last (and only) time I was asked for any input was in the mid-70's. By one of the come and go firms of consultants. They listened, even agreed as the report seemed to echo some of what I'd written. Then zilch! I've never been consulted, written to, circularised, or had my attention drawn to any other form of meaningfull consultation since.

Not long ago WDC were offered a platform for public notices here - totaly free of course. They simply ignored the offer.

I wasn't even consulted about major changes outside my own house in Wansbeck! They just went ahead and did what suited them. The first I knew about this was when I heard the road drills. A chance to have input? Some chance! The brief time I lived in Blyth Valley the difference in attitude could't have been more marked. We were invited to the planning dept for a little soire to discuss future plans.

Ever since the inception of Wansbeck there's been near total disconnection between local goverment and the local people who can make things happen. The reason for this only became entirely clear to me in my chance conversation with you-know-who. Councillor I'm greatful for that moment of candid honesty; formerly I thought you to be total fools. Now we both know who the fools are! :(

looking at the plan i see there removing the parking area from outside silver cells! and theres no fn steps either suppose thats a good thing :D as a could never walk down them properly

At 4ft nowt, I thought it was just a problem with me :D glad to hear no one else can get down them either. As for the parking issue, it's a great thing! There's a great white (van) who pulls out much too quicky(!)... ended up with MrVic falling off his chopper one day!

Thats why I posted the Market Place revamp on this board last year, especially the bit about members of the public going along to see what was happening...

Good on you - but you shouldn't have to exercise some common sense when people are paid very good money to get the message out.

BTW the plans reminded me of something but I couldn't say what - until it suddenly came to me. Beamish! All that's missing is the cast iron band stand. We really do need this feature - for the buskers, come the next phase of Gordo's world-saving economic miracle. Anyway, why not go the whole hog and turn the entire town into a "living" museum, instead of doing it on the instalment plan?

people are paid very good money to get the message out.

I agree GGG and we have an excellent portal to do just that.

Anyway, why not go the whole hog and turn the entire town into a "living" museum, instead of doing it on the instalment plan?

I used this argument with "planners" before accusing them of treating Front Street as if it was a high street in some Cotswold village full of antique shops and tea rooms and if they carried on they might as well arrange deck chairs on the Lion roundabout so they can watch the town die commercially. It seems to me that the issue is down to the "conservation area" tag the Front street has (and we do know the conservation area has recently been extended!) it has always been used as a bat to say why things cannot happen, or be built or changed. It is really quite an accolade for the town but used in this way has had a negative effect. I know various grant monies' have only been made available because of this tag but piecemeal development of this kind is wasteful and not holistic, which is what is needed so the town can develop and prosper. Maybe the soon to be implemented changes in local gov will see the necessary open partnership between the lay community, business community and officialdom the town needs , but somehow I doubt it!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mrsvic
bedlingtonmarketplace2007.jpg

Wow!

Tip top notch, the council!

That's better than iconic shot from the sleeve of the seminal album The Queen is Dead... (that's my Morrissey in the middle).

Class act, council boys!

You have my vote in future!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now