Uk Car Plant Close To Collapse?

threegee

Anyone known which it is they are talking about? You can't keep news like that under wraps, even without the Internet! :rolleyes:

something was said on thenews the other day, production has halfed on most of the lines, i know for a fact Nissan is working at half-week at the moment.

Some have been told to take pay cuts, some offered reduced hours, some have just been given the boot!

Sad times fr the industry at the moment :(

As for singleing one out, i've no idea, but no whispers from Nissan yet....

personally i think its honda .... if it is im using my pennys to buy a cheap one :D

Would Honda involve the quoted 6000 jobs? According to the FT Nissan was down to 3800 jobs at year-end from about 5000 a few years back. Take away the 800 redundancies last month (ignoring the 400 contract workers laid off) and that gives 3000. Add in the "as many workers again at suppliers" and you get to the 6000 quoted figure.

Honda employs 4200 at Swindon according to a recent report, but is already closed until June 1st. So not only don't the figures square but it would be strange to announce a permanent closure at quite this time.

If it is Nissan though then things must have got a lot worse in just a few weeks.

Another reason to believe it's Nissan is that Mandelson specifcally mentions them in this recent interview.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7902584.stm

If he'd mentioned someone who wasn't under threat that would have been irresponsible in itself.

...could he be meaning indirectly through suppliers as well?

Yes. Original report was over 6000 jobs in total. Comprising plant jobs and including as many jobs again at suppliers. So logically that means 3000 direct jobs - an almost exact match with the current Nissan figure.

It looks like Vauxhall at Ellesmere Port is already down to about 2000 workers so that doesn't seem a good match.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now