Windows 7

Monsta®

see there's a beta version out http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/default.aspx looks fimiliar? apple crossed with windows? should be called windows cheetah! i like the touch screen and lets hope its a bit more conpatable that vista!!!!

I can see what you mean by a cross with Apple as they had some of those features in there OS many moons ago but Windows 7 does look a better deal than the present Windows OS, I like the idea of being able to pin files to the task bar. Have you down loaded the beta version?

I can see what you mean by a cross with Apple as they had some of those features in there OS many moons ago but Windows 7 does look a better deal than the present Windows OS, I like the idea of being able to pin files to the task bar. Have you down loaded the beta version?

not yet might do that now! why do all new operating systems look alike? lets hope they keep the cost down!!! no vista ultimate prices.. :huh:

not yet might do that now! why do all new operating systems look alike? lets hope they keep the cost down!!! no vista ultimate prices.. :huh:

They are all converging because they are copying Linux - particularly Apple! :D

They are all converging because they are copying Linux - particularly Apple! :D

hardly linux is copying windows, apple and windows are copying each other! linux has alway copied windows they even tryed to name one of there versions lindows! which was a nightmare to run!

hardly linux is copying windows, apple and windows are copying each other! linux has alway copied windows they even tryed to name one of there versions lindows! which was a nightmare to run!

B*&***! Where do you get them from? :D

Apple aped features of the Linux FS3 file system in the (appropriately named) Cheetah. They made a clean break with old code in order to do this leaving their users stranded - as per usual. Linux users had Compiz before Aero and Aqua. When you can freely browse someone else's source code for ideas it's so easy.

Compare: http://www.abadiadigital.com/noticia1778.html

Even going back to MSDOS things like pipes and filters were cloned from Unix and Linux. The original MSDOS was a straight rip of CP/M and Windows 1.0 an inferior clone of DR GEM (in GEM the Windows could overlap, but BG instructed staff that this was unnecessary! :) ). Very little originality has ever come out of MS considering the vast sums they spend. And much of what Apple does is others originality dressed-up. I've even heard on the media recently that Apple "invented" the pocket MP3 player. What rot! I had a couple of pocket MP3 players long before Apple entered the market.

P.S.: Not being familiar with Lindows I just checked and discovered it's a trademark owned by Microsoft! Seems like they paid a fancy sum for it! : :lol:

B*&***! Where do you get them from? :D

Apple aped features of the Linux FS3 file system in the (appropriately named) Cheetah. They made a clean break with old code in order to do this leaving their users stranded - as per usual. Linux users had Compiz before Aero and Aqua. When you can freely browse someone else's source code for ideas it's so easy.

Compare: http://www.abadiadigital.com/noticia1778.html

Even going back to MSDOS things like pipes and filters were cloned from Unix and Linux. The original MSDOS was a straight rip of CP/M and Windows 1.0 an inferior clone of DR GEM (in GEM the Windows could overlap, but BG instructed staff that this was unnecessary! :) ). Very little originality has ever come out of MS considering the vast sums they spend. And much of what Apple does is others originality dressed-up. I've even heard on the media recently that Apple "invented" the pocket MP3 player. What rot! I had a couple of pocket MP3 players long before Apple entered the market.

P.S.: Not being familiar with Lindows I just checked and discovered it's a trademark owned by Microsoft! Seems like they paid a fancy sum for it! :D

theres nothing to compare? they all cry we did it first! it was probably a smart i.t developer who decide to make a bit of money selling the idea to all of them!

and that site is in german french greek! made no sense to me :lol::lol::lol:

and linux was made using unix "yawn" but linux didn't have bill gates to drive it into are homes etc! its just to nice for that :lol:

From the screens I’ve seen so far of Windows 7 it does look good, but frankly, I’d rather have an OS that actually works properly. Vista isn’t the first and certainly won’t be the last failure in terms of OS’s we’ll see coming from Microsoft.

From the screens I've seen so far of Windows 7 it does look good, but frankly, I'd rather have an OS that actually works properly. Vista isn't the first and certainly won't be the last failure in terms of OS's we'll see coming from Microsoft.

That was my post!

From the screens I've seen so far of Windows 7 it does look good, but frankly, I'd rather have an OS that actually works properly. Vista isn't the first and certainly won't be the last failure in terms of OS's we'll see coming from Microsoft.

I think windows 7 maybe an exception! learning from the vista calamity the Microsoft team have done a great job on windows seven. I have been using it for the last two weeks and so far nothing but smooth operation and ease of use. :D

I think windows 7 maybe an exception! learning from the vista calamity the Microsoft team have done a great job on windows seven. I have been using it for the last two weeks and so far nothing but smooth operation and ease of use. :D

It wouldn't be an exception then; this is the way MS has always worked. One lousy major release followed by one quite stable one. You sucker folks into installing an upgrade then you make sure that they have to move on again. After another couple of years, and when they've forgotten the bad experience, knock out another bad experience dressed up as a major advance.

The point is that all these releases, and near empty fancy boxes, are totally unnecessary. The OS could be continuously updated. But, if you do that, you lose the opportunity to sell the same old code time and time again to the same purchaser.

Selling the same products to OEMs at a fraction of the price you or I can buy the shrink-wrap is another strategy. There's no need to charge three figures, it's just they've locked you in to their proprietary data formats, and their way of doing things. So you meekly shell out another wodge of cash, rather than make the effort to break out of the exploitation cycle.

When they have to slash prices drastically to keep users they do; witness the competition Linux was giving them on netbooks and their knocking out XP to the OEMs for a few dollars a throw just to stem the rise of Linux on that class of machines. But, just so long as there's a dumb following, they will play it for every billion dollars it's worth.

compatability is linuxs down fall always will be as long as the market share stays with ms and apple, linux will be a outsider that only the few will use! who wants to code a game or software for 2% of the market? wheres the profit in that? even apple struggles to enlist people to code for its os thats why nearly all the software is called i this and i that! windows bootcamp for apples need i say more.

i even konw someone who bought a netbook with linux as it was a cheaper option then realised linux is rubbish and wiped it off in favour of xp!

Compatibility with what?

I know of a couple of people who also installed XP on netbooks. I also know of a couple of people who were converted to Linux trough them. The dumbed down interface provided on the eee's can be broken out of, but many people install Ubuntu. There's now a special distribution for them, and it's much better tailored to running out of flash than XP is. The people who went the Ubuntu route were the more computer literate, and generally get much more out of their machines. In the long run they are the people that matter. The new Toshibas already have Ubuntu installed.

There's only one bit of paid-for design software I was keeping an XP boot partition for, and it took me by surprise the other week to see it's now released for Linux. When I come to upgrade that software to the next major release I will of course be opting for the Linux version. Installed the demo version and it works great.

The Mac is a great help for this kind of expensive paid-for application, because when it's made to port to a Mac then there's very little development effort to release a Linux version too. The rapid rise of portable APIs like Qt are helping this process along.

That said there's oodles of things you can do on a Linux machine (and for free) that it's often awkward and/or expensive to do with another OS. I can read and write legacy FAT and NTFS drives with Linux, and connect to a Windows (SMB) LAN, but the reverse isn't true with Windows, at least not without a lot of expense and hassle. Thus Windows will shortly be history here.

Compatibility with what?

The people who went the Ubuntu route were the more computer literate, and generally get much more out of their machines. In the long run they are the people that matter.

with main stream programs like cs4 etc , main stream games, and other things without having to find other software to make it run!!!

and is that discrimination? pcs should be there for all not just the tech savvy!

with main stream programs like cs4 etc , main stream games, and other things without having to find other software to make it run!!!

and is that discrimination? pcs should be there for all not just the tech savvy!

Surely the "main stream" on gaming is consoles?

Well there's the disagreement you see. It has nothing to do with elitism. Either you are willing to turn your brain on or not. Either you are willing to try something different (and give it a fair chance) or not. Microsoft are assured of their continued gigabucks from the people that aren't, but they won't stem the slow but steady rise of open source. Being dumb, and stubbornly maintaining your ignorance, is expensive.

BTW lots of people use Linux but don't even know they do. It's turning up in lots of domestic appliances - and phones quite soon now.

Surely the "main stream" on gaming is consoles?

Well there's the disagreement you see. It has nothing to do with elitism. Either you are willing to turn your brain on or not. Either you are willing to try something different (and give it a fair chance) or not. Microsoft are assured of their continued gigabucks from the people that aren't, but they won't stem the slow but steady rise of open source. Being dumb, and stubbornly maintaining your ignorance, is expensive.

BTW lots of people use Linux but don't even know they do. It's turning up in lots of domestic appliances - and phones quite soon now.

why would it be consoles only millions play games on pcs! take final fantasy 11 online, world of warcraft online etc with hundreds of thousands of players world wide.

and i do use linux daily! and linux will always be a small time player as people want ease of use and support from a big name company like ms or apple!

why would it be consoles only millions play games on pcs! take final fantasy 11 online, world of warcraft online etc with hundreds of thousands of players world wide.

and i do use linux daily! and linux will always be a small time player as people want ease of use and support from a big name company like ms or apple!

A lot of people - especially in the Linux community - would like it that way, but the migration onto the desktop is inevitable.

Support from MS and Apple! When was the last time you rang the MS support desk? :lol:

A lot of people - especially in the Linux community - would like it that way, but the migration onto the desktop is inevitable.

Support from MS and Apple! When was the last time you rang the MS support desk? :lol:

what?

well there's alot more support available for windows than any version of linux. and have you ever visited a linux site www.debian.org for example pure confusion!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now