Smoking Ban

Smoking Ban Agreement  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem seems to be what exactly is meant by serving food. No one seems to know.

Is a sauasage roll food? And, if not, does it become food if it's microwaved?

Ministers have agreed terms for a ban on smoking in public places throughout England with the exemption of pubs and clubs that don't serve food.

Over my life I have been a :

Non smoker

Smoker

Ex-smoker

Now an occasional cigar smoker

I have always chosen what I do. I choose where I go and have a pint. I choose everything in my life.

Everyone else can choose too.

If a pub is too smokey for an anti-smoker, then that person can go else where etc etc etc.

It strikes me, like many others, that how we should live is dictated by others. Free society? I think not!

As for public houses serving food, can some one, some where, please define "food". I often have a bag of nuts with my pint. Does this mean I cant have a Hamlet?

We recently had a weekend in Dublin, and smoking was widespread, all be it in "beer gardens" which was no more than a 'covered' beer garden (The Temple Bar in the Temple Bar district).

Let's get real here, a Saturday night, in summer, in Bedlington, even more people will be on the street outside pubs, having a cigarette with their pint. Is that a good thing?

This is (was?) a free country with choice. Is it going to be in a few years?

My problem is that as a non-smoker (now 18 months) I find it very difficult to be in an environment where people smoke because it makes me feel ill, and yet at the same time it makes me want a cigarette. The most difficult aspect of stopping smoking is that other people still smoke, a total ban would help thousands of people who have stopped, not start again.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i dont often have an opinion but on this i do.

i think everyone has a god given right to smoke, drink, do drugs or anything else they want to, so long as it does not affect others.

i'm a non-smoker, and i dont mind drinking in pubs where smokers do, or rather i diddnt.

the change happened one night after a dodgy curry, my tummy was a little upset. ;-)

the thing that got me was this, when i farted, i stunk.... guess who was the first to complain?

you guessed it...the person next to me with the cigarette, poluting my lungs and smelling like an ashtray.

the thing is, smokers think their so hard done by, being stopped from smoking all the time, but you lot dont realise when you smoke, you choose to. we dont.

as for drinking elswhere...why should we? your the ones with the habbit, you go outside.

when you do, i'll do the same to fart! until then, your just gonna have to put up with the smell!!! just like us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Over my life I have been a :

Non smoker

Smoker

Ex-smoker

Now an occasional cigar smoker

I have always chosen what I do. I choose where I go and have a pint. I choose everything in my life.

Everyone else can choose too.

If a pub is too smokey for an anti-smoker, then that person can go else where etc etc etc.

It strikes me, like many others, that how we should live is dictated by others. Free society? I think not!

As for public houses serving food, can some one, some where, please define "food". I often have a bag of nuts with my pint. Does this mean I cant have a Hamlet?

We recently had a weekend in Dublin, and smoking was widespread, all be it in "beer gardens" which was no more than a 'covered' beer garden (The Temple Bar in the Temple Bar district).

Let's get real here, a Saturday night, in summer, in Bedlington, even more people will be on the street outside pubs, having a cigarette with their pint. Is that a good thing?

This is (was?) a free country with choice. Is it going to be in a few years?

I agree with you Gary, but a lot of the problems could be solved by the breweries if they would put their hands in their pockets and install good extraction fans in their pubs. This would make the enviroment better for none smokers and smokers, after all they charge enough for the beer.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
(Doffs hat at Boomhauer)

Back to the smoking debate, I tottaly agree with idea of good extraction in bars ( I am a smoker ) or bring back the Snug/smoke room. Non-smokers have more choise of places to go,so keep out of Pubs, where known smokes ( makes us sound like crims ) go or let them stand out side with their lovely fresh air :P

Back to the smoking debate, I tottaly agree with idea of good extraction in bars ( I am a smoker ) or bring back the Snug/smoke room. Non-smokers have more choise of places to go,so keep out of Pubs, where known smokes ( makes us sound like crims ) go or let them stand out side with their lovely fresh air :P

Us ( getting smaller all the time _ are being used as political pawns, the up town trend( u one) the P.C. bragrade have to pick on something from NO christmas, because it offends Ethnic people - not nameing the ASPO youth because it might do away with ther civil liberties , are people who still choose to smoke not allowed any civil liberties... not that I can find... fron hospital car parks to a quiet drink in a Pub..

Please let me know your thoughts

:blink:

The post above looks like a Richard Littlejohn column put through an online translation engine.

The "PC brigade/bragrade" is largely a myth, invented by frothing right-wing journalists. Stories of local authorities "banning" christmas, when checked up on, are usually bogus. Many councils, mindful of the fact that november sees festivals of several different religions, choose to put up non-denominational decorations which are augmented by more specific christmas items in December.

The "PC brigade" trying to prevent children having their names and photos published in newspapers are human rights lawyers concerned with the power wielded by the popular press which has already encouraged their readers to persecute sex offenders and mobilised angry mobs of "burn the peedoe" vigilantes.

Incidentally, the ASBO is a measure brought in by the current government, who either are or aren't part of the politically-correct brigade.

As for smokers' civil liberties, these have to be balanced against those of non-smokers. While I am all for people's rights to engage in any activity they like, no matter how harmful to themself, the right to blow toxic fumes in other people's faces doesn't strike me as a human right worthy of marching on Parliament to protect.

The post above looks like a Richard Littlejohn column put through an online translation engine.

The "PC brigade/bragrade" is largely a myth, invented by frothing right-wing journalists. Stories of local authorities "banning" christmas, when checked up on, are usually bogus. Many councils, mindful of the fact that november sees festivals of several different religions, choose to put up non-denominational decorations which are augmented by more specific christmas items in December.

The "PC brigade" trying to prevent children having their names and photos published in newspapers are human rights lawyers concerned with the power wielded by the popular press which has already encouraged their readers to persecute sex offenders and mobilised angry mobs of "burn the peedoe" vigilantes.

Incidentally, the ASBO is a measure brought in by the current government, who either are or aren't part of the politically-correct brigade.

As for smokers' civil liberties, these have to be balanced against those of non-smokers. While I am all for people's rights to engage in any activity they like, no matter how harmful to themself, the right to blow toxic fumes in other people's faces doesn't strike me as a human right worthy of marching on Parliament to protect.

Bring back the Birch......sorry wrong thread :rolleyes:

I can understand people that don't smoke wanting a smoking ban as smoking is harnfull but as a smoker myself I get XXXXX off (dont want to use swear words) by people who tell me that I should not smoke.

I listened to a program on the local radio tonight (not radio Newcastle) and the commentator said that all smokers agree that it would help them to stop smoking if there was a total ban on smoking, well I totaly dissagree with his comments, I smoke because I want to smoke.

Many times I have noticed cars parked with their engins running pumping toxic smoke into the air while their owners have just niped into the shop, (I am not reffering to Bedlington) but never hear anyone complain about that, bus stations with bus engines running, thick diesel fumes in the air nobody complains about that. I have never heard the Goverment complain about the amount of tax they take from the smokers.

All people have rights, smokers and none smokers.