Defragmenting

sleepy

lap top won't let me do it defraggler not work either malware bytes i can't put on it won't let me... advice please only other option is wipe it i think

are you P*ssed :lol::lol::lol:

what exactly are you rattling on about?

what is a defraggler? is your screen not dirty as you mentioned wiping it? or have you got a cold?

225px-Dreamsharing.jpg look this is a fraggle!

who or what is malware bytes? and what can you not put on? your hat?

my advice give up and phone st. georges :lol::lol:

are you P*ssed :lol::lol::lol:

what exactly are you rattling on about?

what is a defraggler? is your screen not dirty as you mentioned wiping it? or have you got a cold?

225px-Dreamsharing.jpg look this is a fraggle!

who or what is malware bytes? and what can you not put on? your hat?

my advice give up and phone st. georges :lol::lol:

Excelent advice there monsta! thanks for the input! :mellow:

lap top won't let me do it defraggler not work either malware bytes i can't put on it won't let me... advice please only other option is wipe it i think

theres many reasons why these 2 programs wont work, but we need a bit more info sleepy.

firstly, is this windows we're talking about? if so, which version? '98? ME? XP? Vista?

it'll also help if you let us know which version of the operating system is installed, ie home, professional etc, and which service packs are installed, if any.

If you need help finding out these details, post back and let me know, i'll take you thru it step by step.

whilst your looking, check to see how much free space is on the harddrive your trying to defragment, as windows needs at least 15% free space to work.

A step by step process of what you've tried so far will also help us locate whats going on. ie how your trying to start the defragmenter, and from what location in windows.

Also let us know if there's been any hardware or software changes since this started occuring, such as new programs, or a RAM upgrade etc.

Sounds like a lot, but i'm sure we'll solve this one for you! ;)

Sleepy has a laptop what she`s having problems with. There seems to be a few issues with it.

From what i can remember..

1. It has IE on, but when she tries to download Firefox the laptop won`t let her, some kind or error message pops up

2. She can`t use defrag

3.Malware Bytes is an Anti-Malware programme, her laptop is blocking the application when she tries to download it.

4. Also, she has Avast on the laptop,which found 3 problems, what they are i don`t know as i only spoke on the phone. However, when she restarted her laptop, the 3 problems were still there.

So basically, i asked her to mention it on here as someone might have some answers.

It sounds like it`s riddled with virus`s to me and it probably would be a good idea to format it if all else fails.

Need to know what operating system you are using. Malware can't be directly responsible. So don't

do it!

Most likely explanation is that the disk is too full. A defragger needs working space. Do a disk cleanup first,removing temp files and finally empty the WPB, Recycle Bin or whatever it's called by your OS vendor. If there's a huge file you could temporarily move it. Rewriting it to a defragged drive will ensure it's defragged too.

With Windows remove some of the older reversion files which can be a space hog. That's if the cleanup doesn't offer to do this for you. If the drive hosts the swap file temporarily kill that too. You can easily recreate it, and likely Windows will offer to do this anyway.

3.Malware Bytes is an Anti-Malware programme, her laptop is blocking the application when she tries to download it.

I'd remove this pronto. Best anti-malware is common sense. How do you know this isn't malware itself? If you feel the need for this sort of thing you probably have been running execs you shouldn't have and need to start again clean.

Only download what you need to download and only from reasonably trusted sources.. If you feel a need to try stuff out do this on a throw-away version of the OS (or old machine).

Sleepy has a laptop what she`s having problems with. There seems to be a few issues with it.

From what i can remember..

1. It has IE on, but when she tries to download Firefox the laptop won`t let her, some kind or error message pops up

2. She can`t use defrag

4. Also, she has Avast on the laptop,which found 3 problems, what they are i don`t know as i only spoke on the phone. However, when she restarted her laptop, the 3 problems were still there.

So basically, i asked her to mention it on here as someone might have some answers.

It sounds like it`s riddled with virus`s to me and it probably would be a good idea to format it if all else fails.

quite simple format and re install plus a bet its a free copy of avast! so it wont do anything except tell you about the viruses it finds. and av never heard of malware bytes so it probably a load of b*llicks best not to use these crap programs made by companies that you've never heard of

;)

quite simple format and re install plus a bet its a free copy of avast! so it wont do anything except tell you about the viruses it finds. and av never heard of malware bytes so it probably a load of b*llicks best not to use these crap programs made by companies that you've never heard of

;)

I`ve got MalwareBytes and Avast on my comp and they`re good :D

SuperAntiSpyware is another good one to have on your comp. Do you not bother with these kind of things?

Malwarebytes is a very good program. its recommended by many helpsites along with superantispyware and ccleaner.

Common sense is a good way to prevent infection, but once you have it, you need programs like these to help the novice remove the threats.

the fact IE is not letting you download anything is a sure sign of an infected pc.

you have a few options.

1, download the relevant programs on a seperate computer, then transfer the files using USB. see if they will then install.

2, complete reinstal of the operating system using a repair install from your system disk supplied with the computer. this will keep all your files intact, just reinstalling the operating system. i advise a backup of any important data before you do this tho, just in case.

3, destructive reformat. this will completly wipe the drive leaving the laptop as new, with a new, clean operating system. all programs you added after you got the laptop will need reinstalled.

with options 2 and 3, you will need to download all windows updates again, and this will take time on an XP machine.

If sleepy is a bedlington resident, i could offer to take a look one night if needed...

there are several programs i'd recommend to help clean up if option 1 is the way you want to go, and could download them for you and put them to disk, if its easier, or get someone to do it for you.

any further help/advice, you know where we are! even if it is conflicting!

Quite right, all these programs do slow your system down, especially if you have them all running at startup.

my recommendations would be 1 antivirus running constantly such as avast, and other programs on an 'as and when needed' basis.

i have:
superantispyware
addaware
malwarebytes
hijack this
peerguardian and
ccleaner

all installed on my computer for if/when i ever need them, but i dont have them running at startup.

i just access the program, update it and run it as and when i feel i need to do a check.

windows xp this laptop runs on it not mine its a friends not sure if it home or proff tho 21 % free on hard drive just says it un able to run 64 bit edition if that helps yeah i local if you live near spar opens on yahoo when you open ie now

windows xp this laptop runs on it not mine its a friends not sure if it home or proff tho 21 % free on hard drive just says it un able to run 64 bit edition if that helps yeah i local if you live near spar opens on yahoo when you open ie now

do you get any error messages when you try to download anything?

have you overlooked the 'information bar' IE loves so much? this is an orangy-yellow bar that appears when IE tries to download a file. its normally accross the top of the screen, and will have an 'options' or similer button at the end of it.

Are you able to download the files required from another pc, and move them to yours via a usb drive or cd?

Just to re-instate advice from a moved post:

if your after a proper defrag try ultimatedefrag by disktrix far superior to the windows default one

the above mentioned program has a good review HERE but seems to be a 'pay for' program.

another free program reccomended for defragging is JKDefrag (download from here ) but i guess these will be useless till you get your download working again :D

Just to re-instate advice from a moved post:

the above mentioned program has a good review HERE but seems to be a 'pay for' program.

another free program reccomended for defragging is JKDefrag (download from here ) but i guess these will be useless till you get your download working again :D

added avast for me no bother can download some things let me get ccleaner when i try for firefox it says file corrupt after download

added avast for me no bother can download some things let me get ccleaner when i try for firefox it says file corrupt after download

are you using avast and AVG together?

if so, uninstall one or the other.

you cant run 2 antivirus programs at once.

unlike antimalware or antispyware programs, which you can have many of.

do you have the option to download to another pc and transfer?

also, try this:

click start > my computer

right click the C: icon

select 'properties'

in the pop-up window, select the 'tools' tab

select 'error checking'

check both check boxes and click 'start'

a warning will appear, saying files are in use, and should you schedual a boot time scan, click yes, or ok, whichever is there.

the computer will restart, then the screen will go black.

it will go thru 5 stages, the first 3 pretty quickly, but 4 and 5 may take hours depending on your hard drive size/level of corruption.

at times it will seem like the scan has frozen, dont be tempted to restart, just let it do its thing.

if it comes up with anything you have to respond to, agree to whatever it asks.

after its done, windows will boot normally. re-try your download after this.

are you using avast and AVG together?

if so, uninstall one or the other.

you cant run 2 antivirus programs at once.

unlike antimalware or antispyware programs, which you can have many of.

do you have the option to download to another pc and transfer?

also, try this:

click start > my computer

right click the C: icon

select 'properties'

in the pop-up window, select the 'tools' tab

select 'error checking'

check both check boxes and click 'start'

a warning will appear, saying files are in use, and should you schedual a boot time scan, click yes, or ok, whichever is there.

the computer will restart, then the screen will go black.

it will go thru 5 stages, the first 3 pretty quickly, but 4 and 5 may take hours depending on your hard drive size/level of corruption.

at times it will seem like the scan has frozen, dont be tempted to restart, just let it do its thing.

if it comes up with anything you have to respond to, agree to whatever it asks.

after its done, windows will boot normally. re-try your download after this.

windows unable to do that tried already only avast running defrag just shuts down when i try to use it

windows unable to do that tried already only avast running defrag just shuts down when i try to use it

unable?

what error message are you getting?

if its what i'm thinking, i have a way around it.

could you post the error exactly as it appears when you try to do the error check?

does the computer actually shut down? or just the application?

Edit: i probably should mention, you have to do this from an account with administrator privileges. a limited user account would account for alot of your problems, now i come to think about it.

are you sure the account you are using is an administrative account?

...just says it un able to run 64 bit edition...

Presumably because you haven't got a 64bit CPU! Or have a mixed up windows+utilities installation.

You really don't need all this software bloat, there's enough of that from M$ already. Though C Cleaner is a must-have if you want to run your copy of windows for more than a year or so.

BTW Linux users never have to defragment, and rarely need to reboot either! ;)

unable?

what error message are you getting?

if its what i'm thinking, i have a way around it.

could you post the error exactly as it appears when you try to do the error check?

does the computer actually shut down? or just the application?

Edit: i probably should mention, you have to do this from an account with administrator privileges. a limited user account would account for alot of your problems, now i come to think about it.

are you sure the account you are using is an administrative account?

can't be completed and has to close

EDIT: post edited, responce to other quote moved HERE

can't be completed and has to close

can you try doing it from safe mode please?

Windows XP

If Windows XP is the only operating system installed on your computer, booting into Safe Mode with these instructions.

• If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
  • Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
  • Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
  • Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
  • Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode. you will know because the words 'safe mode' will be in all four corners.

• When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

when you open in safe mode, retry the steps i said previously, to start a disk check, located in THIS POST

If the system wont even let you do a simple disk check, i'm afraid it looks like you may have to do a reinstall, as monsta suggested. Lets see if we can get it started in safe mode first tho.

let me know how you get on, or if there are any problems.

Edited by Mr Darn™
moved split responce

come on guys! this is going way off topic AGAIN!

lets concentrate on sleepys problem in the main thread, and discuss things in the discussions forum eh?

if we keep digressing like this, people will just not ask questions!

what was the question again?

oh yes defraggler! (Dance your cares away, Worry's for another day. Let the music play, Down at Fraggle Rock)

wipe the thing! you could have had it sorted two days ago!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now