Wansbeck Homes

Guest MONGO

has anyone elses rent gone up mine has went from £62 to £72 without any warning and they havent done anything to me house for the rent to go up so much for them increasing rent the same as the council would :angry:

has anyone elses rent gone up mine has went from £62 to £72 without any warning and they havent done anything to me house for the rent to go up so much for them increasing rent the same as the council would :angry:

I know plenty of people who`s rent has gone up by that much, it happened as soon as Wansbeck Homes took over. I`m suprised you`ve just getten a rent increase now.

The way things are going it would be cheaper to rent off a private landlord.

mines still the same a just paid it the other day and they said the next increase isn't till april! :huh:

mines still the same a just paid it the other day and they said the next increase isn't till april! :huh:

I wonder how much it will go up in April? 8 to 10 pound seems the norm. It seems like one hell of an increase though.

I know plenty of people who`s rent has gone up by that much, it happened as soon as Wansbeck Homes took over. I`m suprised you`ve just getten a rent increase now.

The way things are going it would be cheaper to rent off a private landlord.

Think it was controverial at the time: Wansbeck Homes thread

I'm sure there was more on here, but I can't find it to post a link to... namely the heads of WDC who were about to lose their jobs were on the board of directors, and the structure of the company 'Wansbeck Homes' that claims to be not for profit, but is part of the Bernicia Group, a private company that include a property management group and also built many of the recent council houses... I wonder who gets the contract for all the repairs and new houses?

I tried to investigate at the time as it all seemed rather suss that such a big thing was happening in the Wansbeck area without consulting (or at least informing ALL residents) but I was generally met with little information. I did get to read the document sent out to persude residients to vote 'yes' to the change, which was an awfully patronising piece of literature, offering a lot of promises of kitchens, while not really addressing the issues of extra costs or tennants rights... pretty easy not to note it's absence when you're promised a free kitchen and bathroom though! (I've a pdf I could upload here, if GGG will give me 4.2mb of space somewhere??)

I believe a load of the council lot were involved inititally in the 'consulation process', but the company could not confirm any salaries... however they would not deny there was money chaning hands, and that this 'was in line with any other salaries for these positions'. (Curiously, later in the year 'Wansbeck Life', a charitable trust with a similar logo and working with W.H was set up... it's worth checking out the board there too... I doubt there will be too many people without jobs once WDC goes...)

The reason that Wansbecks Homes allegedly came into play in the first place is that the council claimed that they needed £80m to reach the 'better homes' standards by 2012, and couldn't do this without going private... work on the basis that the average tennant will pay (or have paid for them) £75 per week rent and over 5 years this should add up to £19,500... surely enough to cover kitchens, bathrooms and all other running costs???

Perhaps it's only because the private company that does the repairs charges so much that the rents have gone... sadly I fear that the tennants will never see any of the profits...

Mongo, you should contact someone regarding your rent, rents only increase once a year in April, they went up last April 2008 after the transfer and have not increased since then.

I'm reading the latest Wansbeck Homes Newsletter for tenants and i quote from it :-

Having kept the promise not to increase rents when homes transferred from Council ownership last February, we also kept the annual increase to the pledged target of no more than the rate of inflation, plus £2, plus 0.5%.

This formula, approved by the Government, will continue to be applied to rent rises in April 2009 whilst we continue with our £80 million home and service improvement plan.

You're paying a pittance for a home, and they'll soon be round with plans for new roof, kitchen, bathroom et al. My heart bleeds for you pal.

• 1 month later...
Guest MONGO

rite wansbeck is propper taking the p**s now ive just had another rent increase to £75.64 but all other increases to everyone elses house in the street with the same 3 bed house is up to £62.23 my house is the dearest house in the street and its had 2 rent increases since april last year i think its a propper joke how they can get away with it :angry::angry::angry: plus every1 else has had new windows and ive had !*!@# all so why should i pay more rent then any other **** :angry:

rite wansbeck is propper taking the piss now ive just had another rent increase to £75.64 but all other increases to everyone elses house in the street with the same 3 bed house is up to £62.23 my house is the dearest house in the street and its had 2 rent increases since april last year i think its a propper joke how they can get away with it :angry::angry::angry: plus every1 else has had new windows and ive had !*!@# all so why should i pay more rent then any other !*!@# :angry:

That can`t be right. You should be paying the same rent as everyone else in your street, well, the houses with the same amount of bedrooms anyway. The rent is only meant to go up once a year too.

You`ll have to go and see them and ask why they`ve done it.

Guest MONGO
That can`t be right. You should be paying the same rent as everyone else in your street, well, the houses with the same amount of bedrooms anyway. The rent is only meant to go up once a year too.

You`ll have to go and see them and ask why they`ve done it.

well when it went up the other month they told me that its not based on the area anymore but the number of rooms the house has and everyone elses rent is the same but that was a load of sh*te

then i got a letter through the door the other day with my anual rent increase on it and its now at £75 pund odd, yet all the other houses on the street are 60 pund odd so i phoned them up and now there saying it dont matter on how big the house is its how long ive been with the council that depends on what i pay for rent all new tenants pay the higher rate they said but thats a load of !*!@# aswell coz ive been a tenant for the past 8 years so wots going on there dodgy as foock am ganin up the day ti kick off so if yiz see any police vans its prob mongo getting lifted :lol:

well when it went up the other month they told me that its not based on the area anymore but the number of rooms the house has and everyone elses rent is the same but that was a load of sh*te

then i got a letter through the door the other day with my anual rent increase on it and its now at £75 pund odd, yet all the other houses on the street are 60 pund odd so i phoned them up and now there saying it dont matter on how big the house is its how long ive been with the council that depends on what i pay for rent all new tenants pay the higher rate they said but thats a load of !*!@# aswell coz ive been a tenant for the past 8 years so wots going on there dodgy as foock am ganin up the day ti kick off so if yiz see any police vans its prob mongo getting lifted :lol:

You have advocates to help you in this sort of thing Mongo they are called councillors and failing that an MP. If you still feel aggrieved there are other roads open.

On the face of it I agree with your assessment!

Rents are based on length of tenure? I thought they were based on open market expectations for the type of property? If you have gone from 62 quid to 75 quid that's a 20%+hike. According to charlie's posting it should be around 68 quid and only one annual increase? Has anyone asked what the 2 quid increase is for and will it always be applied as there is a good chance inflation will soon come back to haunt us and if the inflation figure is a multiplier that could be a real worry.

Guest MONGO
I hate to say it, but I agree with Denzel :blink:

its not really the point the point is that wen they took over they said rent would continue to go up the same as it would the council which it hasent its only suposed to go up 1s per year in april it hasent rent is suposed to be based on how many rooms your house has got its not in other words everything they said was a lie and theres !*!@# all anyone can do about it :angry:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now