Market Tavern

charlie

I used to work there and have been something of a regular for years, they're certainly not closing and I've never been asked for any money and haven't heard of any other punters being asked for money either.

I think it'd also be gracious to consider all the good work they do for charity (especially organising a small festival to raise money for Cystic Fibrosis on the front street and in tesco car-park, another one being organised for this summer.) before you start spreading malicious rumours.

no doubt that they do great charity work as well as other business do in bedlingon but to be realistic, they do talk to people when staff arnt in the bar im sure. the bar isnt open all day so it gives them chance to make phone calls to other people and do you think, if a business was in trouble, would the staff be the first to know?

no doubt that they do great charity work as well as other business do in bedlingon but to be realistic, they do talk to people when staff arnt in the bar im sure. the bar isnt open all day so it gives them chance to make phone calls to other people and do you think, if a business was in trouble, would the staff be the first to know?

I'm with Del Amitri on this one.

Well, i've heard most of the rumors, and i drink in the place. Heard nothing official, and they never asked me for any money.

i will say tho, for threegee, that it was quoted in the bar that "the bedlington website is full of people with less brain cells than (i forget the rest exactly, but if it comes back, i'll insert it) "

you get the general gist tho.

i doubt, unless BLOB starts working there again, that they will use this website as a tool for advertising, even if it is free.

they simply do not rate the people or comments here high enough to bother with.

Well, i've heard most of the rumors, and i drink in the place. Heard nothing official, and they never asked me for any money.

i will say tho, for threegee, that it was quoted in the bar that "the bedlington website is full of people with less brain cells than (i forget the rest exactly, but if it comes back, i'll insert it) "

you get the general gist tho.

i doubt, unless BLOB starts working there again, that they will use this website as a tool for advertising, even if it is free.

Well if that`s the case they want to remember where their custom comes from, talk about biting the hand that feeds you. They can keep their pub, the Grapes is better anyway :D

Are you still barred like?

Technically, no.

i have been told i can go back in, as long as i go see her first, but i think it'd be best me staying away.

and...before anyone asks, i was a bad lad on my birthday night out and ended up taking something i shouldnt have. all was returned, and pennance was paid, but i'm far too embarressed about the whole thing to show my face in there.

Technically, no.

i have been told i can go back in, as long as i go see her first, but i think it'd be best me staying away.

and...before anyone asks, i was a bad lad on my birthday night out and ended up taking something i shouldnt have. all was returned, and pennance was paid, but i'm far too embarressed about the whole thing to show my face in there.

Just have a few pints then go in and grovel man :lol:

Odd that... as when we were in there at the weekend, the site came up in conversation, and it seems that everyone in the vacinity was a member! I can't imagine many badmouth the site there as many of the regulars seem to be members...

Mind it's strange to find out who gets on here like!

pete i'll let you into a little secret shall i,but you promise not to tell anybody else please.

friends of mine were asked if they could lend them alot of money.fortunatly they didn't because they probably wouln't have seen it again.they were going to tho, but when they were told about all the other people who had lent them money and are still waiting to be paid back. one person who took them to court (and won) but still has to wait and hope payment has reached his bank account every month.

i believe its general knowledge around the pubs in bedlington that the tavern is struggling and are asking all thier regulars for help in chipping in to keep things afloat, but if help is handed out how does a struggling pub repay?

its upto the regulars to decide whether they want to help a run down pub that stinks of blocked toilets and stale smoke from the night before. bills have to be paid all the time and no pub with BIG bills can't ask the punters all the time for help. :angry::angry::angry:<_<

I've heard all the rumours but I'll tell you something I'm shocked nobody has mentioned

that the money the council put in was not for the front street but for all the starving children in africa

also that the landlord and landlady were abducted by aliens and they are going to take over every pub in Bedlington and turn the drinkers into brainless morons

and I've just been into a few of them tonight and I can see the aliens plan is working

Odd that... as when we were in there at the weekend, the site came up in conversation, and it seems that everyone in the vacinity was a member! I can't imagine many badmouth the site there as many of the regulars seem to be members...

Indeed, mrsvic, indeed; it would be no surprise if more pubs were to close in Bedlington in the coming months, and no surprise if the Tavern were among them as they have to cope with the same problems as every other drinking establishment.

As someone who is very much a regular, I can say i've never been asked to lend them money; that's not to say others havn't, but to suggest they're ringing people up three or four times a day pleading for dosh is a bit bloody silly. In addition, quite why the council would stump up anything for what is a Punch Taverns tied house I can't possibly see; they havn't, and they wouldn't. It makes no sense to anyone who has any.

What I would suggest is that, rather than sitting on here all day spouting off about this, that and the other pub closing down, we should get out there and give them some custom. We are the ones who lose out when the bars shut, after all. Sarah runs a friendly pub that is a pleasant plave to enjoy a few pints; at weekends they put bands on and offer the town some much needed entertainment. I, for one, would miss them if they had to go.

Just have a few pints then go in and grovel man :lol:

Unfortunatly i'm not the groveling type, but i do have a sence of right and wrong, and me showing my face in there would, in my eyes, be a slap in the face for all concerned. Plenty more pubs to enjoy (at the moment!)

Many of the regulars are members, it was Sarah's father and Ian whom i was talking too.

Indeed, mrsvic, indeed; it would be no surprise if more pubs were to close in Bedlington in the coming months, and no surprise if the Tavern were among them as they have to cope with the same problems as every other drinking establishment.

I think pubs closing may actually be a good thing.

this would concentrate the drinkers who frequent bedlington (who are at the moment, spread out amongst loads of pubs) congregate in the few pubs that are left behind, creating a better atmosphere and perhaps entice more to come out!

What I would suggest is that, rather than sitting on here all day spouting off about this, that and the other pub closing down, we should get out there and give them some custom. We are the ones who lose out when the bars shut, after all. Sarah runs a friendly pub that is a pleasant plave to enjoy a few pints; at weekends they put bands on and offer the town some much needed entertainment. I, for one, would miss them if they had to go.

i return to my previous statment, if the pubs had more of an atmosphere, we would!

the reason the club is doing so well in the poll is because it's cheep, and has a good atmosphere.

Were in the middle of a credit crisis, and £2.60 a pint is just too rich for my budget, except on an odd occasion once a month. Now, should there be an offer of £1.50 a pint for cheep piss in a glass, i'd be there every night, £10 note in hand and a shiny 50p piece in my pocket!

I think pubs closing may actually be a good thing.

WHATT?????? Hang on while I compose myself and consider a world without pubs....

the reason the club is doing so well in the poll is because it's cheep, and has a good atmosphere.

Were in the middle of a credit crisis, and £2.60 a pint is just too rich for my budget, except on an odd occasion once a month. Now, should there be an offer of £1.50 a pint for cheep piss in a glass, i'd be there every night, £10 note in hand and a shiny 50p piece in my pocket!

If you buy your beer on credit then that is a problem; I doubt the much vaunted 'credit crunch' has had much of an effect on whether or not the regular drinker goes out for a few pints or not. I don;t find the club having a 'good atmosphere' I must say; an atmosphere, yes, but that's about it. I guess it depends what you're looking for in a pub.

As for £2.60 a pint being a bit much, the club has the advantage of being part of a heavily subsidised organisation; the pubs, on the other hand, are at the mercy of the brewery price structure (and that's all of them, not just the Tavern). having worked in the trade and been responsible for buying in stock, the profit on a pint at, say, a Punch Taverns house is not as great as one would believe at first, and the landlord/landlady has no leeway on that.

Until something is done about supermarkets selling alcohol as a loss leader then the pub trade is going to struggle.

WHATT?????? Hang on while I compose myself and consider a world without pubs....

not all pubs! that would just be silly!

If you buy your beer on credit then that is a problem; I doubt the much vaunted 'credit crunch' has had much of an effect on whether or not the regular drinker goes out for a few pints or not.

i dissagree. the price of things at the moment is just unreal, and lots of people are strugling to make ends meet, never mind pay for an overpriced pint!

I don;t find the club having a 'good atmosphere' I must say; an atmosphere, yes, but that's about it. I guess it depends what you're looking for in a pub.

i agree on this point, everyones diffrent, and looks for diffrent things in their social life. i prefer a bar with more than 3 people in it. its my preference.

As for £2.60 a pint being a bit much, the club has the advantage of being part of a heavily subsidised organisation; the pubs, on the other hand, are at the mercy of the brewery price structure (and that's all of them, not just the Tavern). having worked in the trade and been responsible for buying in stock, the profit on a pint at, say, a Punch Taverns house is not as great as one would believe at first, and the landlord/landlady has no leeway on that.

i agree, the likes of punch are doing themselves out of alot of trade with their high prices and ways of doing business.

EG: i worked in a bedlington bar that had a new guinnes pump fitted. the nice guinness guy gave us a pack of beer mats and towels, and some t-shirts for the staff to wear.

then, when he asked why we never had these anyways, he was shocked to hear that Punch CHARGED the pubs IT OWNED for these items. Imagine how shocked we were when informed punch recieves the stuff it sells landlords FOR FREE from THIS VERY SAME BLOKE!

Guinness have always gave their premotional gear away for free to the likes of punch, and punch cant wait to rip the eyes out of anyone who's stupid enough to sign up for one of their so-called 'deals'

Until something is done about supermarkets selling alcohol as a loss leader then the pub trade is going to struggle.

I dissagree. Theres nothing like going out with the lads down the street for a few beers and a few games of pool.

yes, the occasional night in/barbeque is nice every once in a while, but its the price of the drinks IN pubs that keep people out of pubs, not how much they can get a few cans from the supermarket.

i have several cases of lager in my house, i have done since new year, and i've only drank 4 cans in that time. I prefer to go out, even if that does mean i have to stay in for the other 3 weeks of the month whilst i save for it.

And countless more are the same as me!

Pints at £2.50 were only ever heard of in newcastle in the days when the pubs were packed! Lower the prices, and you'll get more customers. that guy down south proved that point when he started serving the cheepest pint in england and changed a struggling pub into one that was packed every night of the week.

not all pubs! that would just be silly!

Silly? It would be criminal! It would be the worst thing ever!

i dissagree. the price of things at the moment is just unreal, and lots of people are strugling to make ends meet, never mind pay for an overpriced pint!

The price of what, though? I mean, unless you're buying a house or somethign else ludicrously expensive things havn't changed much at all. If yuo have savings, fair enough you're going to lose out, but otherwise very little. Im not forgetting, of course, all those losing jobs through this thing - been there myself - but the price of a pint has lottel to do withthe credit crunch.

i agree on this point, everyones diffrent, and looks for diffrent things in their social life. i prefer a bar with more than 3 people in it. its my preference.

Absolutely; there are other factors, however, like what time of day it is - I like to have a few beers in teh afternoon and read my paper - and who those people are. I'd rather stan in a bar with three people who hav something interesting to say than with a hundred arseoles. I'm not classing you with those !*!@# of course, Mr Darn, knowing you as I do.....

i agree, the likes of punch are doing themselves out of alot of trade with their high prices and ways of doing business.

EG: i worked in a bedlington bar that had a new guinnes pump fitted. the nice guinness guy gave us a pack of beer mats and towels, and some t-shirts for the staff to wear.

then, when he asked why we never had these anyways, he was shocked to hear that Punch CHARGED the pubs IT OWNED for these items. Imagine how shocked we were when informed punch recieves the stuff it sells landlords FOR FREE from THIS VERY SAME BLOKE!

Guinness have always gave their premotional gear away for free to the likes of punch, and punch cant wait to rip the eyes out of anyone who's stupid enough to sign up for one of their so-called 'deals'

Yep, had the same experience.

I dissagree. Theres nothing like going out with the lads down the street for a few beers and a few games of pool.

yes, the occasional night in/barbeque is nice every once in a while, but its the price of the drinks IN pubs that keep people out of pubs, not how much they can get a few cans from the supermarket.

i have several cases of lager in my house, i have done since new year, and i've only drank 4 cans in that time. I prefer to go out, even if that does mean i have to stay in for the other 3 weeks of the month whilst i save for it.

But now that;s a contradiction; of people - and i'm generalising (and certainly not among them) can buy cheap beer at the supermarket then they will. You cite the credit crunch, and refuse to accept this very obvious point. I know of many people who choose to stay in, despite being able to afford far more beer than I can at the pub!

And countless more are the same as me!

That's a scary prospect - countless Mr Darn's.......

Pints at £2.50 were only ever heard of in newcastle in the days when the pubs were packed! Lower the prices, and you'll get more customers. that guy down south proved that point when he started serving the cheepest pint in england and changed a struggling pub into one that was packed every night of the week.

It doesn't work like that; lowering the prices by a sufficient amount to attract punters in that manner would result in the publican making a loss; despite what many believe there does not exist the massive profit margin on a pint, it's a myth; we're talking about the possibility of pubs knocking ten, twenty pence off a pint, or offering them at £2 at certain times (something the government is set to legislate against) and, to be frank, saving 20p a pint isn't enough to take me from one bar to another.

Mr Darn, knowing you as I do.....

i hate it when people know me but i dont know them!

But now that;s a contradiction; of people - and i'm generalising (and certainly not among them) can buy cheap beer at the supermarket then they will. You cite the credit crunch, and refuse to accept this very obvious point.

au contraire! as i stated, i too have bought cheep beer, but its sitting there going to waste. i'd much prefer a pint in a pub.

It doesn't work like that; lowering the prices by a sufficient amount to attract punters in that manner would result in the publican making a loss; despite what many believe there does not exist the massive profit margin on a pint, it's a myth; we're talking about the possibility of pubs knocking ten, twenty pence off a pint, or offering them at £2 at certain times (something the government is set to legislate against) and, to be frank, saving 20p a pint isn't enough to take me from one bar to another.

me either, but the reason the pubs cant lower prices is because of the likes of punch.

go back to the good old days of landlords actually owning the pubs and dealing directly with the breweries!

you know, you'd think the likes of punch could afford to bulk buy beer, getting it cheaper, and selling it cheeper, not driving a stake thru the very heart of their enterprise!

better to sell 20 pints at £2 than 10 at £2.50 is what i say!

The gossip and rumours musn't be true, they have now got notices in windows and on tables promoting:-

"coming soon" Tea,coffee, soft drinks, hot beef stotties. sandwiches and bar snacks etc.

good luck to them ! they are must be staying open.

The gossip and rumours musn't be true, they have now got notices in windows and on tables promoting:-

"coming soon" Tea,coffee, soft drinks, hot beef stotties. sandwiches and bar snacks etc.

good luck to them ! they are must be staying open.

Why would they offer tea,coffee, soft drinks etc? Either they`re testing things to see if they could make a go of it as a cafe or they`re trying to get the Mother`s and kids into the pub. If the latter is the case then they need to re-think :o

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now