Have I Broken Me Bedlington.co.uk Again?

Guest xyz

I have been concerned for some time now. I have worries that the 20 acres could be smaller than it's name. This week, I decided the truth will out. I've scourered a number of Bedlington, map, and measure related sites for my cause.

In Googling I managed to find some "20 acre" related craic, on a site named bedlington.org.uk... it appeared to be very similar to this site... curious.

Anyway, since this visit I cannot now view any new posts on the co.uk site, and can only just see a list of posts. How strange eh?

Does anyone know if I've encountered something weird on this mirror site? Or have I just pressed a button I should not have?

The 20 acres, to my calculations however, appears to be pretty close to 20 acres. My search for a conspiracy goes on...

Goodness you are a moderator there too! That's two-timing us and all your punters! :o

Yes, bedlington.org.uk is so uncannily similar that it IS this site. It's one of its many aliases on the nameservers.

The slight problem with this is that the board software only kicks out bedlington.co.uk cookies. So you'd better clear out your cookie jar to avoid mixing flavours, thus confusing the computer's palate. There's a link here somewhere to do that. It's late so someone show me where? Otherwise tomorrow.

So you want to know just how big the 20 acres actually is? Why not get class to pace it out? Got a GPS that gives proper lat and long? Got a BIG ball of string? I'd loan you my bike with its carefully calibrated bike computer but it's a bit of an up and down hill ride to get it to you! ;)

P.S. OK, found it - Click the forum link up top then look right down just above the statistics box for Delete cookies set by this board

Covered in the Help files too. Click Help up top then Cookies and cookie usage. If still in doubt then feel free to PM the moderator. :P

If still in doubt then feel free to PM the moderator. :P

Cheers for that! :P

alternativly you could post back to this thread, thus widening your scope for answers, and helping any other soul who may have the same problem. ;)

i can also reccomend some excelent software for cleaning out said cookies, should you wish to get into the bowels of your pc ;)

All is fixed!

Thanks!

Walking or biking? There's another 'eek'!

It's far better to google...

1 acre = 4046 msq... Square root of 4046 = 63... Therefore each acre would be 63m x 63 m...

Google Earth maps, makes the 20 acres about 500 m long (8 x 63) and about 150 wide (2.5 x 63)... 2.5x8 = 20 (acres)

Probably wrong... but contrived to fit my 20 acres obsession, and now I can sleep soundly again!

• 5 years later...

I am taking the easy way out rather than searching through loads of NCC documents. A question was asked, on the sixtownships site, about the building on the 20 acres site ie.

".......I have been told there is a covenant on the land to prevent building work on the land?" 

Does anyone know the answer?

It would be great to find some restrictions to the planning.

Particularly as this site was one that was not in the expensively produced 'Core Strategy'.

I was assured by NCC that the extra sites for consideration had just been put forward and any development would not be for years.

West Bedlington Town Council did not appear to know of these sites because no one was at the meeting to represent the council.

The same night Bedlington in Bloom was being discussed.

The people involved in that initiative made an amazing difference to the town last summer.

Their 'halo's ' are shining bright.

Simply FANTASTIC!

I am taking the easy way out rather than searching through loads of NCC documents. A question was asked, on the sixtownships site, about the building on the 20 acres site ie.

".......I have been told there is a covenant on the land to prevent building work on the land?" 

Does anyone know the answer?

On the sixtownships site , many theories, examples below, but nothing concrete or any links to any info:-

Pam Farquhar - William Leech gave the land to the people of Bedlington on condition it would never be built on

Michael Eastlake - I heard that William Leach had bequeathed the area for the children of bedlington to play, that said I also think the land is unstable to build upon and now has massive drainage works towards the millfield end. If building work was possible think a prime spot like that would have been snapped up.

Geoff Glass - Someone have this land as a gift to The citizens of Bedlington Town but only to be used for recreational purposes only 

I think that is why the Picnic was held there As it's considered Free Land and no building is allowed.

Edited by Eggy1948

Sorry Eggy I am talking about the Broadway House Farm field.

Twenty Acres surely belongs to the people of Bedlington.

In the same way village greens are protected .

I cannot believe any political party would dare to put this amenity up for sale to the highest bidder.

It would be like selling the Crown Jewels !

I belive there is a covenant on it but as we have seen with Tesco and the car park, covenants are there to be broken!

The Tesco Car Park had a convenant bequething the use to the town's people of Bedlington for things like free parking (180 places) and a weekly market (if so desired). Tesco squashed that and changed it to their timed parking with penalties after so long.

I belive there is a covenant on it but as we have seen with Tesco and the car park, covenants are there to be broken! The Tesco Car Park had a convenant bequething the use to the town's people of Bedlington for things like free parking (180 places) and a weekly market (if so desired). Tesco squashed that and changed it to their timed parking with penalties after so long.

I think the 20 aches has a covenant on it, but I heard also is not suitable building land as it is all sand under it.

Cheers

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now