Best Pint 2009!

Mr Darn

Best Pint 2009  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There is possibly a clue on the boards adorning some of these establishments!

It would seem the breweries have lost their little enough grasp on realties and imposed massive rent hikes.

They have indeed, and it's becoming even worse. When you consider that Punch Taverns - which owns the Tavern (currently shut) the Grapes, and I think the Monkey plus a couple at the station - owes billions of pounds at the moment there is little chance of anyone getting a deal that makes it worthwhile for them to run a pub as a Punch tied house. The problem is exaggerated by the fact that Punch is unwilling to sell the buildings outright in some cases as their entire borrowing capacity is based up valuing the pubs as a proerty portfolio. Without the noose around the neck that is brewery rents and beer prices a public house is actually quite a decent business proposition; with it it's commercial suicide.

They have indeed, and it's becoming even worse. When you consider that Punch Taverns - which owns the Tavern (currently shut) the Grapes, and I think the Monkey plus a couple at the station - owes billions of pounds at the moment there is little chance of anyone getting a deal that makes it worthwhile for them to run a pub as a Punch tied house. The problem is exaggerated by the fact that Punch is unwilling to sell the buildings outright in some cases as their entire borrowing capacity is based up valuing the pubs as a proerty portfolio. Without the noose around the neck that is brewery rents and beer prices a public house is actually quite a decent business proposition; with it it's commercial suicide.

Been thinking along those same lines Merc.

Are there still large capacity breweries willing to supply or do you have to go down the 'real ale' route?

Course there is also the rates licensed premises attract.

Maybe a poncy wine bar for Bedders????

Been thinking along those same lines Merc.

Are there still large capacity breweries willing to supply or do you have to go down the 'real ale' route?

Course there is also the rates licensed premises attract.

Maybe a poncy wine bar for Bedders????

Good questions all. Poncey wine bar in bedlington? No chance, wouldn't work - there'd only be Monsta in it!

There are large capacity breweries willing to supply, and at much better prices than the tied house versions.

On a positive note - and again this is one for Monsta - the Market Tavern has been given a new lease of life and will be opening under new management in the not too distant future. That's one saved from becoming a poncey wine bar or a block of flats.

Is that your local Brian in the picture :D

No it is not my local Pete i have been in there a few times when i am driving back from Brisbane they have the best pie shop in the world in one of the shops there it is a theme pub there are a number of them thru Aust.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now