Leek Shows

Brian Cross

When i was young and growing up in Bedlington, The leek show was an important event for my Dad and the rest of the male members of our family, at the time i could not understand why they would put all that time into looking after these plants and then in one day it was over and done with,my dads plot was behind Allgood terrace. can't remember any of our lot winning any awards but i suspect it may have been the boozing afterward that made it all worthwhile.

Both of my Granddads (and various Uncles) grew leeks to show at their local clubs. I remember them producing very large crops, then selecting the show specimens and the seed plants. They used to camp-out in their allotments to stand guard over the plants nearing show time 'cos of the risk of sabotage to the show specimens and theft of the seed heads. One of my Granddads used to empty the contents of his potty (they did have indoor plumbing but he wanted to save his waste ... yuk) into a 55gal oil drum, this mixed with other stuff (God only knows what) became his leek feed. My memory was that all the old timers throughout the North East were obsessed with growing leeks and showing them.

Pigeon lofts also seemed to be everywhere when I was a lad ...

Leek Clubs are still en vogue in the Station. Coupled with a sideline in extortion/domino cards in the pub, they make for a blue chip long-term investment, with even the mangiest leeks earning their growers a hefty cash sum.

There are at least two members of this forum coining money hand over fist on the local leek circuit.

Plus, you can make broth with them.

Both of my Granddads (and various Uncles) grew leeks to show at their local clubs. I remember them producing very large crops, then selecting the show specimens and the seed plants. They used to camp-out in their allotments to stand guard over the plants nearing show time 'cos of the risk of sabotage to the show specimens and theft of the seed heads. One of my Granddads used to empty the contents of his potty (they did have indoor plumbing but he wanted to save his waste ... yuk) into a 55gal oil drum, this mixed with other stuff (God only knows what) became his leek feed. My memory was that all the old timers throughout the North East were obsessed with growing leeks and showing them.

Pigeon lofts also seemed to be everywhere when I was a lad ...

Yes I can remember all of that cloak and dagger stuff going on, including the waste for the leeks and the constant vigilance over the precious plants (some of that goes on over here but a different plant) but you are right about the pigeon lofts they are not around now ................did your rellies win a prize

• 8 years later...

This photo posted on Bygone Bedlington - part of the comment with it is :- .....' but the caption says "Bedlington A leekshow". I don't know whether this refers to the pit or it is just a leek show, but the "A" is in capitals so maybe the pit?'

The 'A' pit colliery institute, 1024 aerial photo, does not show any glass in the roof, all tiles.

Another comment was '..........there was talk that it might be the old scout hut that was along from the Wharton arms'

Anyone any idea?

15731907_10210209438545740_6625187199195496193_o.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, moe19 said:

The back room at the black bull has a ceiling and a room lay out like that, It also had a snooker table many years ago (looks like the leeks are benched on a snooker table )

It's the 'sky-lights' and what appears to be a steel frame supporting the roof that confuses me.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eggy1948 said:

It's the 'sky-lights' and what appears to be a steel frame supporting the roof that confuses me.  

I don't think that frame look strong enough to be supporting anything, maybe its before the pub had electricity and they are simply gas pies running to those wall light mantels 

I would like to blow the picture up for better analysis and hopefully get a few more clues

Edited by moe19

2 hours ago, moe19 said:

I don't think that frame look strong enough to be supporting anything, maybe its before the pub had electricity and they are simply gas pies running to those wall light mantels 

I would like to blow the picture up for better analysis and hopefully get a few more clues

Sorry moe19 - not the pipes with the lights attached but the girders/beams making the frame of the building.

I've split the photo into 4 and enlarged them slightly.

Bottom Left.jpg

Bottom Right.jpg

Top Left.jpg

Top Right.jpg

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now