The (lack Of) Wonga Of Woolies

threegee

I don't mind all the banks going bust, or the B.Socs folding, but when Woolies is going down the pan - well - that's the end of civilisation as we know it!

Election now I say, whilst there's still something left to save from Gordo's "prudence"!

I don't mind all the banks going bust, or the B.Socs folding, but when Woolies is going down the pan - well - that's the end of civilisation as we know it!

Election now I say, whilst there's still something left to save from Gordo's "prudence"!

I read yesterday there willing to sell for £1 as the tide of debt is rising fast.

And do you know why it's going down the pan ... all they sell these days is cheap Chinese plakka tosh, sweeties and a few CDs. Back in the Day you could get just about anything there ... from shoe repair materials (I remember my old man buying leather soles & steel taps for home repairs on his last) through to furniture and everything in between. It was the poor man's John Lewis.

And do you know why it's going down the pan ... all they sell these days is cheap Chinese plakka tosh, sweeties and a few CDs. Back in the Day you could get just about anything there ... from shoe repair materials (I remember my old man buying leather soles & steel taps for home repairs on his last) through to furniture and everything in between. It was the poor man's John Lewis.

They even had thier own record label, Embasy I think it was called. You could get all the latest hits at a cheaper price, mind you it was not the original artist.

Wooden floors, wooden counters and people that served you, I even saw Santa at the woolies in Blyth one Christmas early fifties.

They even had thier own record label, Embasy I think it was called. You could get all the latest hits at a cheaper price, mind you it was not the original artist.

Wooden floors, wooden counters and people that served you, I even saw Santa at the woolies in Blyth one Christmas early fifties.

A rare insight into Olde Worlde Blyth from Pete there. The snidey recordings of popular tunes is, of course, alive and well, as anyone who has visited Matalan coluld tell you.

It sounds like Woolworth's was very much a retail mecca at the time, none of this new-fangled chrome nonsense, just good, old-fashioned, wood. Arkwright would be proud.

Did they sell powedered egg?

Looks like they may be making an extra 2.5% for a bit... if that will save them?

Whatever happened to Woolco anyway?

Looks like they may be making an extra 2.5% for a bit... if that will save them?

Whatever happened to Woolco anyway?

Woolco was one of them stores that was here today and gone tomorrow. There was a branch in Leicester it sold car tyres amongs other things, didnt last long.

"Did they sell powedered egg?". Yep, during the last big bun fight with Jerry Hun.

I remember buying a radiogram from Woollies, early seventies, it was a, Rigonda Bolshoi (not sure if I spelt that correctly). It came with two huge detached speakers and an LP.

The LP was for setting up the speaker system, it had music and one track was ducks, it sounded like they flew from one side of the living room to the other, wish I still had it as it sounded better than some of the modern day stuff.

I remember buying a radiogram from Woollies, early seventies, it was a, Rigonda Bolshoi (not sure if I spelt that correctly). It came with two huge detached speakers and an LP.

The LP was for setting up the speaker system, it had music and one track was ducks, it sounded like they flew from one side of the living room to the other, wish I still had it as it sounded better than some of the modern day stuff.

That's the Dunkirk spirit Pete; Bang & Olufsen, Bose et al can stick their new-fangled 'sound systems' where the sun don't shine.

Pete - "... it sounded like they flew from one side of the living room to the other, ...". Early surround sound :D

I remember reading an article in Scientific America (don't mock ... I was a student in the late '60's) about wiring-up 4 speakers in a particular fashion to create a quadraphonic effect; this was at the time when proprietary quad hi-fi systems were just coming onto the market but with prices the likes of us could never afford. Anyway, I followed the instructions and was amazed by the effect.

Pete - "... it sounded like they flew from one side of the living room to the other, ...". Early surround sound :D

I remember reading an article in Scientific America (don't mock ... I was a student in the late '60's) about wiring-up 4 speakers in a particular fashion to create a quadraphonic effect; this was at the time when proprietary quad hi-fi systems were just coming onto the market but with prices the likes of us could never afford. Anyway, I followed the instructions and was amazed by the effect.

Beats the Stereophonics hands down.

It was brilliant in its day Symtoms, I can still hear them duck now.

I can remember one stereo system (cant remember its Name) but they took it apart on the telly (consumer show) It had one speaker inside and two empty toilet roll tubes placed at a 45% angle. The front of the player were the empty toilet roll tubes ended had a bit of cloth to give the impression that it had a split speaker system. What a rip off. 70s, of course.

Amstrad maybe?

Just had a sort through my old 45rpm Embassy label records (Woolies):

• A Voice in the Wilderness sung by Jonny Worth, on the B side Poor Me
  • I Love You Because sung by Del Martin, on the B side Can't Buy me Love sung by The Jaybirds
  • Delaawre sung by Rikki Henderson and on the other side Lady Luck, same singer
  • Oklahoma sung by John Hanson and Doreen Hume.

Ah the good auld days brings back memories.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now