Humford Baths

alanc

Just remembered it was Wilf Marley, Wilf worked for the council and yes I believe you are right they still live in that house. I visited about 4/5 years ago.

Mr Marley the school teacher was at St Cuthberts infants school (I think ?) I remember the name I was there in 1956 -58 before going to Whitley Memorial.

Going back the swimming baths I believe it was 5/- (shillings) for a season ticket biggrin.gif

Anyone remember the big building at the front of the baths what was that used for??????

Hi alanc!

The big building was the original pump house, in my day it had a small shop where you could buy pop and crisps and get a cup of tea. It was also used as a meeting place for the lads and lasses. Did you ever try what we used to do diving off the lasses cubicles into the shallow end, it realy used to get Wilf hopping mad.

When I was at Westridge School my form master was George Marley, his father had the butchers shop near Hayes the chemist.

• Like 1

I can'nt remember how much it was to get in ? I can remember Ralph Marley he used to look after the baths! We used to dive off the girls changing cubicles into the deep end as a dare. Ralph would shout at us. Another dare was to swim the filter bed all good stuff.

I remember Humford baths, went there a lot with the family

and mates. Even went there with the class from school(Whitley Memorial) non-existent now.

But we did dive off the girls cubicles (if you were seen or caught you got a good telling

off), in fact we were thrown out a few times by wilf, I think that was his name,

who looked after the pool etc.

:)

• 2 months later...

three of us rode a kids tricycle down the hill to the baths one afternoon, then celebrated by riding it off the diving board. we had competitions to see how far we could ride it along the bottom of the pool, once we'd exhaled enough air to be able to sit on it and pedal. I accept now that this wasn't big or clever. On another occasion I recall three local youths dressed as clockwork orange 'droogs' diving fully clothed off the springboard, doc martens boots and all. Happy days.....lol

Wasn't it closed on health 'n' safety grounds? But is there any record of anyone being seriously injured in any way over the decades? It would be interesting to compare this safety record with a modern leisure center. Or indeed the safety record of the river at Sheepwash, which has linearly claimed lives over history.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
42 minutes ago, Des Cochrane said:

I spent 5 years every summer swimming at the baths sometimes 7 days a week

It was STASH who was the power swimmer huge arms and upper body

Wilf Marley and his lovely family looked after the place Billy Marley was 1 year above me at Bedlington Grammar School

I remember Stash (Suzanik? Suzanuk?) diving off the cubicles. Built like a brick sh*thouse! Many people will have fond memories of Humford Baths, they were very popular.

the baths were great but health and safety these days would have a field day,the drop from the edge of the pool to the water was about 3 feet,the changing rooms were a health hazard and the showers were colder than the pool but if you're around 55/60 you'll remember the last few days of the pool being open you could still go in though and have a chat with Mrs Marley who liked to remember the good old days and have a chat,the dam was a different kettle of fish,you had to know what you were doing down there as the sluces down either side could prove dodgy,fantastic memories of camping out down by the river in the picnic field,going out "raiding" apples and pears in the middle of the night then down to Humford when you woke up,I think most people look on there youth as the best times of their lives but at that time if you lived in Bedlington you had times you'll NEVER forget

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 09/11/2008 at 20:14, Mr Darn said:

not sure if its who you mean, but the Marley's still own the house at the bottom of the bank i believe.

is he a schoolteacher? or was he once?

Bill was a school teacher and is now retired. I worked alongside him before  he retired some years ago. As far as I know he still lives on the MIll House!

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now