Usb Free View

Pete

Recently purchased a BlazeDTV 2.5a USB free view stick. The problem that I am having is no drivers, disk came with hardware, drivers on disk but unable to install drivers. I get a message that says "install hotfix".

I have check the disk but cannot find hotfix, checked the Blaze web site no mention of hotfix, even tried to e-mail their support centre but no rely even thought it guarantees a reply within two working days.

I have checked system requirements and the system I have is way above whats required.

Anyone got any ideas that may help me?. I would be grateful for any answers. Happy to give more information if needed.

What is the full message your receiving? (screenshot?)

whats your operating system? xp? vista?

(assuming its windows based: )

does the 'add new hardware' wizard not appear if you plug in the device, then restart your computer?

i'm thinking it may have to do with a missing windows update, as they are known as hotfix's, but its strange for a piece of hardware to request it...

i'll also have a check around for solutions from friends.

till then, you could have a look in 'device manager' with the hardware plugged in, and see if there are any warning triangles in there that may help us out...

whilst there, try the 'update driver' link too.

Could you point me in the direction of the support website your using too plz?

as an afterthought... did you try to install the drivers before plugging in the device? or plug the device in first?

if the second option, try completly uninstalling the device from 'add remove programs, and from device manager, then try the driver disk again without plugging in the device, until prompted.

if you need anything explained, please just ask ;)

What is the full message your receiving? (screenshot?)

whats your operating system? xp? vista?

(assuming its windows based: )

does the 'add new hardware' wizard not appear if you plug in the device, then restart your computer?

i'm thinking it may have to do with a missing windows update, as they are known as hotfix's, but its strange for a piece of hardware to request it...

i'll also have a check around for solutions from friends.

till then, you could have a look in 'device manager' with the hardware plugged in, and see if there are any warning triangles in there that may help us out...

whilst there, try the 'update driver' link too.

Could you point me in the direction of the support website your using too plz?

Using XP, New hardware does not appear even after rebooting.

Hotfix, yes but which hotfix as my PC is set to automatically download any updates, this is set for daily

checked device manager no warning messages, every thing working normally. Update driver tried, nothing.

Blaze web site link

http://www.blazevideo.com/

hotfix.doc

as an afterthought... did you try to install the drivers before plugging in the device? or plug the device in first?

if the second option, try completly uninstalling the device from 'add remove programs, and from device manager, then try the driver disk again without plugging in the device, until prompted.

if you need anything explained, please just ask ;)

I tried both of the methods that you have suggested, both with the same result, it just asks for hotfix.

Anyway thanks for your time and effort its much appreciated.

from the pic i think we can safely rule out windows updates! its not that.

it seems the program wants another physical program to be installed before the drivers.

did the device come with only one disk? if so, it the disk autorunning when you put it in the drive?

if so, i assume there is no option to install this 'hotfix' first, so it gives us another avenue to explore.

i'll do some rooting about and get back to you tomorrow. if anyone else has advice, feel free to contribute ;)

from the pic i think we can safely rule out windows updates! its not that.

it seems the program wants another physical program to be installed before the drivers.

did the device come with only one disk? if so, it the disk autorunning when you put it in the drive?

if so, i assume there is no option to install this 'hotfix' first, so it gives us another avenue to explore.

i'll do some rooting about and get back to you tomorrow. if anyone else has advice, feel free to contribute ;)

Only one disk came with the hardware, checked the disk no hotfix or option to install hotfix. Yes disk does autorun,

Windows media player version 11

I found this e-mail address on another forum in connection with help for this product. You might try e-mailing your help request there. Even send them a link to this thread so's you don't have to repeat everything.

help (AT) manac.com.au

Best of luck. I'd find another machine and see if it does the same thing on the install.

the only mention i can find anywhere about a hotfix for your product is the windows media player hotfix (KB929399)

Windows Knowledge Base

although it does not mention your product in that article, that is what all other references i have found point too.

Do you know if this particular update is installed on your machine? it may be an optional one rather than critical

the only mention i can find anywhere about a hotfix for your product is the windows media player hotfix (KB929399)

Windows Knowledge Base

although it does not mention your product in that article, that is what all other references i have found point too.

Do you know if this particular update is installed on your machine? it may be an optional one rather than critical

Thanks for the e-mail link Threegee.

Mr Darn the hotfix that you referred to was installed on my computer, March last year but thanks anyway for your effort.

The problem may have been solved as I did receive an e-mail from the Blaze support team today in reply to my rather nasty second e-mail that I sent them for not replying to my first e-mail.

They gave me some instructions to try various things none of which worked but the last part of their e-mail was interesting. They asked me to check for a blue LED light on the USB stick when switched on, if this does not appear then it is safe to assume that the USB stick is faulty. So I will return it to the retailer from where I purchased it and get a replacement as no LED blue light on stick.

They did offer to upgrade the software but at a price, considering that this appears to be a hardware problem I don't see what benefit an upgrade would have had.

Anyway many thanks for your time and effort it is much appreciated.

They did offer to upgrade the software but at a price, considering that this appears to be a hardware problem I don't see what benefit an upgrade would have had.

Upgrade or fix for flaws that shouldn't be there? Googling on BlazeDTV 2.5a I did notice some interesting download sites near the top of the first page. ;)

Upgrade or fix for flaws that shouldn't be there? Googling on BlazeDTV 2.5a I did notice some interesting download sites near the top of the first page. ;)

Did you notice the btmon.com site that comes up on that search, strange site to be offering Blaze DTV download. :D

I will keep you updated, I have returned the USB stick and awaiting a replacement. Hopefully the replacement will have different results.

Bear with me as I disgress!

I have heard, and seen quite a few criticisms of "Cleaning software".

But never do I seem to se a good clear reason, why it is such a bad thing!

As I have said before, I consider myself an absolute dud when it comes to software, and information in general.

So, whenever I am about to make any kind of move in the field, I get advice, lots of advice. And thre is a lot of it available to me.

Both of my sons are professionally trained I people, and for the last 15 or so years of my working career, I was one of four owners of a very successful software company in Toronto. So if I need help, I usually know where to go.

And when I moved into Vista this year, I listened, and followed the advice given.

Stick to good proven software. Stay away from unknown, untested websites.

Install McAfee or a similar screening system, install Winferno or a similar scanning and deletion system.

Never leave your computer running when not in use.

Schedule constant scanning from McaFee, schedule weekly scanning by Winferno, compact all drives at 30 day intervals. And I know that I have other protective systems built in by my two overly protective kids if I ever got into trouble because of an unnoticed virus, other little !*!@# .

Result: In the last fifteen years, I have never had any problems, except those caused by my own stupidity. But never from an external cause.

So, I am not trying to be a smsrt alec or anything. But would someone please explain to this fast aging precomputer

aging non-Geek just what is wrong with using whatever software technology is available?

Just thought I should ask!

Regards, Joe

• 2 weeks later...
This could turn into quite the debate Joe!

I think a lot of people will have an opinion on this, and as you state, it is a digression, so i'll move this to the discussion forum so Pete's original problem is not clouded.

Please aim any replies to Joe's question HERE

Just to keep you upto date on this Mr Darn I am still waiting for a replacment USB tunner fom supplier. Will keep you informed.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for that pete... an interesting one if there ever was one!

Received a new USB free view stick the other day, it does what its supposed to do, that is scan for free view Chanel's but it does not find any. Tried with the supplied antenna and off the roof aerial same result no Chanel's. I have given up and will stick to the telly down stairs at least I know that works.

Thanks for you help and time.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now