Spare Parts....

Mr Darn

hey all,

i'm looking for a charger for a compaq presario f500 series, and i'm wondering if anyone knows a cheap place to get one.

i've looked on That online auction site that is in no way as good as Free Bedlington.co.uk Classifieds, and delivered they want about £20 (unless i order from hong kong, is that advisable?)

anyone know of any other places you can get cheap laptop parts?

I've never been disappointed ordering from Hong Kong. Even last year when I got a couple of camera batteries when I'd ordered something quite different. :lol:

An adjustable voltage generic charger would probably do the job, and you get another play another day when you change your machine. Tricky bit is to make sure that it comes with the correct power plug. Also check it can dish out the rated current of your machine. Some luggables still use daft amounts of power and smaller multi-voltage supplies might only be rated at 3 amps or so.

Even though I have a good generic I had to buy another one for a visitor here in the Summer. His Dell one blew up due to a power surge in a thunderstorm. Interestingly none of the other PSUs here had a problem with the surge. Then I discovered that the Dell used a connector that I didn't have in the clip on my multi-voltage.

After rushing off and paying an arm and a leg for a generic one that did have a Dell connector his Dell then had the brazen cheek to put up a warning message that the PSU wasn't correct and might damage the machine. Must have been the supplying the wrong kind of electrons! :rolleyes: Nag bypassable by a function key, but pure BS designed only to extort a ridiculous price out of poor Dell punters. Remember: Dell PSUs are way overpriced wimps and they want you to pay a fortune for another wimpy one and discourage you from using a generic one. i.e. Avoid Dell machines!

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132373 Heavier duty ones there too.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now