West Lea Church?

Mr Darn

I was having a chat today that stirred some old memories.....

Can anyone else remember a small church like building at the entrance to West Lea cemetary? and if so, anyone got pictures?

i seem to remember climbing on the roof of this building as a young'un to get a better shot with my 'conker stick'!

anyone got any info?

Can anyone else remember a small church like building at the entrance to West Lea cemetary? and if so, anyone got pictures?

i seem to remember climbing on the roof of this building as a young'un to get a better shot with my 'conker stick'!

anyone got any info?

I can remember the church, or was it a Chapel? It got knocked down years ago..and the conker trees around the church area are the best conker trees in the cemetery, i still go to see if i can find the biggest one :D

any memories of what it was used for? or why it was knocked down?

I don`t remember seeing it used at all although it must of been used at one time and i don`t know why it was demolished either, maybe it was unsafe due to too many youngins climbing on it`s roof :lol:

i remember something aboot that the vicker at the time was locked up coz there was a kids body found under the floor of the little chapple that was why it was demolished before it was knocked down it was used as an under age brothel

post-1045-1224180342_thumb.jpg

i remember something aboot that the vicker at the time was locked up coz there was a kids body found under the floor of the little chapple that was why it was demolished before it was knocked down it was used as an under age brothel

Aye that`s right, he`d dangle his conkers to get their attention :lol:

anyone got any info?

can u remember that far back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can u remember that far back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its not a vivid memory, but yeah, i remember the building, and i remember being stuck up there on that roof as a wee'un. Or perhaps i remember someone else being stuck, and the memory has morphed into me being up there, i dont know.

i do remember a lad called barry jones, on a sledge, on the roof, into a pile of leaves tho... That was some funny stuff! lol

its not a vivid memory, but yeah, i remember the building, and i remember being stuck up there on that roof as a wee'un. Or perhaps i remember someone else being stuck, and the memory has morphed into me being up there, i dont know.

i do remember a lad called barry jones, on a sledge, on the roof, into a pile of leaves tho... That was some funny stuff! lol

Are you on about this Barry Jones? , maybe not coz he`s originally from Guidepost way but he`s the same age as you i think?

Excellent drawer he is.. :D

no, i doubt it. the lad i knew once upon a time was origionally from bedlington.

Mustn`t be the same one then..the lad i`m on about has lived in Guidepost for years, until he moved to Bedlington anyway..i think he`s a member here actually, if not i know his sister is.

He`s recently had a heart operation and i`m sure he`ll not mind me saying `Get Well Soon!`

• 2 weeks later...

Yea I remember that little chappel thing. it was a spooky looking place beside the gates. wasnt it like a chappel of rest or something. i remember it being pulled down. must have been 30 years ago it was demolished. good conkers tho :D

Yea I remember that little chappel thing. it was a spooky looking place beside the gates. wasnt it like a chappel of rest or something. i remember it being pulled down. must have been 30 years ago it was demolished. good conkers tho :D

If the Chapel you are referring to was just inside the cemetery gates then it was used for funeral services, I attended a few funeral services there the last one I attended was in 1972 it was a very cold place inside and not well looked after. Not sure when it was demolished.

noo, you werent imagining it. come to think about it, im 35 n i must av been about 7 or 8 when it was pulled down. so 30 years is a tad overstated lol. I checked on the internet history sites and they dont give much away. except that it was called Netherton Road Chaple. Apart from that I drew a blank. Shall keep hounding the net thought B)

surely couldn't have been as long as 30 years ago (i'm 31 and i still have memories of being on the roof, so couldn't have been much younger than 5-6) but i cant remember it actually being used.

i'm pleased i wasn't imagining it lol

quite a big paper round was it mr darn :lol::lol::P

• 1 year later...

I grew up in West Lea & the chapel you are talking about was a chapel of rest where undertakers would layout a body over night before funerals & family could go & visit.

I remember the story about a body being found underneath but think that was just a nurban myth (sorry to disappoint!).

I 'm not exactly sure when it was knocked down but I moved from West Lea about 22 years ago & think it was around about then.

Does anyone else remember when the old part of that cemetary was cleared & families had to paint a white cross on any headstones they didn't want knocking down?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now