Msn Messenger

Mr Darn

Well, after a while of it hiding in the vast expanse of cyberspace, it seems this little terror is back again, and becoming quite sneaky!

for those that are unaware of it, this 'virus' embeds itself into several places, but mainly your MSN software. It does its business whilst the host is unaware, watching your friends 'status' and sending mesages whenever anyones status changes from anything back to 'online', such as when you are away, but come back.

the more advanced version then waits about 10 seconds, then opens conversations with anyone who's status has changed. The initial contact is normally very convincing, and seems to be aimed at facebook or male users.

examples are:

"OH MY GOD! you should see the picture i've just been sent! hang on, i'll send you it!"

"i've just dyed my hair, but i dont think i like it, what do you think?"

"i'm putting this picture of us on my facebook account, is that ok?"

"hey bigboy... remember that pic you wanted of me? well, today is your lucky day!"

followed by a download request for a file normally named "photo.zip" or "file.zip", although i have seen one named "facebook pic.zip"

the windows then close in a flash, which is often unnoticed by the host until they get replies from its victims.

if you open the file, it self-extracts itself and begins the same routine on your pc, sending itsself to all your friends.

notice the extention? ALWAYS be cautious of anyone sending you zip files, as msn allows you to send as .jpg and there isnt much reason why anyone would zip one.

i always double check the file was ment to be sent before i accept, and i recommend you do the same, as once infected, its a begger to remove, missed by alot of the anti-virus programs, as well as spy and addware cleaners.

The only one to detect it so far seems to be 'hyjack this' (when used with a detective) and malwarebytes (which does not clean it) so prevention is definatly better than cure! :D

Anyone who thinks they have been infected, please PM me, and i'll talk you thru the cleaning process.

• 10 months later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now