Bedlington Twang

Jojo

Throughout my life I've been somewhat frowned upon for having what is nown as a Bedlington twang. You say certain words that only 'us lot' would know, but maybe someone from Durham or Alnwick maybe wouldn't. Does this language still exist? For the best part it's all mainly pit-talk, our reletives who had been down the mines would come back to the hoos n tahk owa fast n divin't gan doon that lonnin, cos it's thick 'o clarts n yiv got scyull the morn - so divin't give the teacha's a gliff.

Perfect English of course, but move away from the area and BONG... ne bugga naz what the hell ya on aboot n just scratch tha heeds n wunda.

There is talk of this [last century] way of talking is dying out and the bedlington/ pit village type of twang is now dilluted. Which IMHO, is a shame.

• 11 months later...

i still know a bloke that can tell which town someones from by the way they speak, if they live locally....

I had that happen to me one time when I worked down in Bristol. Another north eastener noted my accent and asked 'you from Ashington'? Well... I was born there.

I nearly fell off my chair.

Throughout my life I've been somewhat frowned upon for having what is nown as a Bedlington twang. You say certain words that only 'us lot' would know, but maybe someone from Durham or Alnwick maybe wouldn't. Does this language still exist? For the best part it's all mainly pit-talk, our reletives who had been down the mines would come back to the hoos n tahk owa fast n divin't gan doon that lonnin, cos it's thick 'o clarts n yiv got scyull the morn - so divin't give the teacha's a gliff.

Perfect English of course, but move away from the area and BONG... ne bugga naz what the hell ya on aboot n just scratch tha heeds n wunda.

There is talk of this [last century] way of talking is dying out and the bedlington/ pit village type of twang is now dilluted. Which IMHO, is a shame.

• 6 months later...

A nah wot yu mean. When I say the woards av typed undaneeth, nee one at woark nahs what am gannin on aboot. Tha al a bit posher than me. A had tu dee a translation fo thum

English to Bedlingtonian translation – Lesson 1

English to Bedlington

Awnings - Plastic or canvas covers - Wages or salary

Bared- Stripped naked - Opposite of good

Bells - Musical Instrument - Male gentiles

Cane - Walking stick - A tin of beer

Chute - Sloping water slide - To talk loudly

Clare - Girls name - Animals fingernail

Clerk - Office Worker - Tells the time

Crayon - Wax drawing stick - Large lifting devise

Creche - Nursery - Bump or collide

Cress - Green salad plant - Angry