Shiny Row

hi im from rotherham but my mothers family come from bedlington wonder if anybody remembers them.the family name was graves and i beleive there were a lot of them.i know they used to live on shiny row dont know if it still exists or not,i think there must be a lot about so if anybody knows of any graves from there i would really like to get in touch.also i think there were a lot of the family living in pegswood cos i know i had an aunt emma living there

Can't help you there mate, can't say Shiny Row rings any bells with me. Can any of the more 'mature' forum members elucidate?

GLAD YOU SAID MATURE AND NOT OLD :D thanks anyway i am going back to the sixties,the funny thing about it i picked a book up a few years back,an old one,and it had an address in..27 shiny row bedlington

Well.... opposite Chahals on Glebe Road, running at right angles was Shiny Row, then Doctor Terrace then North Row. These were some off the colliery houses belonging the Doctor Pit. I think (??) the last of them were demolished late 70's ( I remember visiting there in about 1975/6). Beyond them were South Row, Telephone Row & Cross Row I believe though they were long gone before my memories begin.

I've just asked me mum there, & with reference to the post 'Bedlington Lad Knighted', Albert's mum lived in Shiny Row no 46 as a young girl. She doesn't remember anyone by the name of Graves though, so sorry on the family record, but least you know where Shiny Row was. Good luck tracing your ancestors and living relatives, frustrating, but good fun when the hunt turns up some new info.

Viv.

& ps to those waiting to see who the 'owld ones' are on here. Am not so!!!! A mere mid 40's! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Well.... opposite Chahals on Glebe Road, running at right angles was Shiny Row, then Doctor Terrace then North Row. These were some off the colliery houses belonging the Doctor Pit. I think (??) the last of them were demolished late 70's ( I remember visiting there in about 1975/6). Beyond them were South Row, Telephone Row & Cross Row I believe though they were long gone before my memories begin.

I've just asked me mum there, & with reference to the post 'Bedlington Lad Knighted', Albert's mum lived in Shiny Row no 46 as a young girl. She doesn't remember anyone by the name of Graves though, so sorry on the family record, but least you know where Shiny Row was. Good luck tracing your ancestors and living relatives, frustrating, but good fun when the hunt turns up some new info.

Viv.

& ps to those waiting to see who the 'owld ones' are on here. Am not so!!!! A mere mid 40's! :rolleyes:

I remember the name Shiny Row and I remember the last houses standing next to the garage top of the field where the shows used to be. My great Grandfather lived there until he passed away that was in the early sixties, he was in his ninties.

I remember there was a lot of colleiry houses up there near the Doctor pit and we would walk past them on the way to the shows, (during the Hopings) use to pass Jordans garage (dont know if Jordans is still there, that was in the fifties early sixties.

Brings back memories.

Viv.

Ah, colloquially known as the 'Pit Raz'.

• 3 years later...

Hi Norman!

You know what this means? It means that it's now entirely up to you if the song "Playing wi me penker" is preserved for all posterity, or generations of historians build careers pondering the significance of this lost work. smile.gif

All the words you can remember please. And hopefully Fourgee hasn't added penker to his ex-BBC list of naughty words! biggrin.gif

Hi again from Norman

Let me first inform the uninitiated what a penker is, a penker also sometimes called a steelie, was a much prized steel marble, normaly a ball bearing from a coal truck wheel, if you or a relation were in with the fitters.

The song;

Aa was playin wiv me penker, playing wiv me penker, playing wiv me penker, doon the Shiny Raa,

When it rolled intiv the cundy, rolled intiv the cundy, rolled intiv the cundy doon the Shiny Raa,

An aa cudn't reach me penker, cudn't reach me penker, cudn't reach me penker doon the Shiny Raa.

So aa went an fetched the claes-prop, went an fetched the claes-prop, went an fetched the claes-prop, doon the Shiny Raa,

Still aa cudn't reach me penker, cudn't reach me penker, cudn't reach me penker doon the Shiny Raa.

So aa went an fetched me marra, went an fetched me marra went and fetched me marra, doon the Shiny Raa.

But we cudn't reach me penker, cudn't reach me penker, cudn't reach me penker doon the Shiny Raa.

So aa went an got sum pooder, went an got sum pooder, went and got some pooder, doon the Shiny Raa.

An wi stuffed doon the cundy, stuffed doon the cundy, stuffed it doon the cundy, doon the Shiny Raa

Then wi set lite tae the pooder, set lite tae the pooder, set lite tae the pooder doon the Shiny Raa

Noo thers nowt left o thge cundy, nowt left o the cundy, nowt left o the cundy, doon the Shiny Raa

• Like 1

Thank norman, that's brilliant! biggrin.gif

I suspected Penker was a ball bearing but ye neva naa!

It will undoubtedly get realeased on the B side of "The Bedlington Sword Dance" real soon. wink.gif

You had me puzzling about The County Hotel too, but of course it's the one straight across from the Central Station. Long time since I've been there.

BTW did anyone notice that No 1 Shiney - the one nearest the pit - was slightly taller than the rest of the row? The numbers ran upwards towards the Glebe Road.

Ah, colloquially known as the 'Pit Raz'.

Hi Denzel,

I don,t believe you are a true Bedlington Terrier, if you were you would know the correct spelling is Raas

not Raz.

Norman

• 10 years later...

My nan and grandad were called graves olive and john who lived in shiney row my grandad worked at the doctor pit all his life unfortunately he died with cancer when i was 15. Our family moved from Barrington to stoke on trent when i was 8 my aunty Christine lives in Ashington. 

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now