Tesco: The Movie

So Tesco have bought the 'Gap site' and the old 'Presto's car park' for a million, but I wonder where the money goes? Included in any future development are small retail and office units managed exclusivley by Wansbeck Life Ltd. Now just who runs Wansbeck Life again............

This is the same carve up as the housing stock, Bedlington is being asset stripped before WDC disappears!

One of the other things i find funny about the tesco thing is how it was gonna develop the old co-op building etc....then, all of a sudden, 'tesco are not doing as well as they thought in bedlington' and jobs are cut.

roll on the Morpeth announcment.... i wonder how long it'll be before the 'failing' bedlington site is sold on....

of course the reason will be 'they are not allowed to 'monopolise' the area with big stores, so the little one has to go to make way for the new development'.

i think bedlington may just get yet another kick up the **** with this news....

I think quite the opposite Mr D. I would hazard a guess that Tesco have seen the possibilites Bedders has to offer being in the middle of Ash,Mor,Blyth and Cram! Might just be that Bedders gets the one big new one?

not according to the herald and post.

a site in morpeth has been earmarked for development:

20,000sq foot no less! and another 200 jobs to the area (isnt this what they said about the bedlington branch?)

http://www.morpethherald.co.uk/news/Trader...peth.4381449.jp

not according to the herald and post.

a site in morpeth has been earmarked for development:

20,000sq foot no less! and another 200 jobs to the area (isnt this what they said about the bedlington branch?)

http://www.morpethherald.co.uk/news/Trader...peth.4381449.jp

it was great knowledge that tescos had required the big car park within the sale of safeways biulding but the had to 'pay off' the small spend and save and the hairdressing shops.

they are with talks to buy the lease from greggs and are with close talks to punch taverns to aquire the market tavern.this looks more than sooner than later. as tescos have worked with staff ,they over staffed with the knowledge that most of the positions filled wouldnt be required as the 'bsd apples would fall out of the basket'.

yes we all know that this is bad practice but thats how its worked.

they have plans to biuld a petrol station within the grounds of the car park at the rear of tescos and not on vulcan garage site.this is staying as it is ref ritchard. <_<<_<:)

:)

where did that come from? a reliable source or rumour?

i heard this a few moths ago, and was assured it wasn't the case.

has things changed?

as you know Mr darn i am a man of my word and this information has come from various MD'S local and national.

at time of 'press' this was deemed as correct but can be subject to change. as for my remarks about tescos staff this has come from present and past tesco operatives and as it is what the majority say its probably true.

if the petrol station gets the go ahead planning permission has got to be made public Wether its in the local media or at the local council offices.this could also be seen at the planning permission website which is on the local council website if you look deep enough. :):);)

• 1 month later...

More in the News Post Leader this week, public invited to visit the Community Centre to see plans or if you can't make that, visit Tesco next Monday & Tuesday.

We'll all find out exactly what they are proposing to do?

Rumours this weekend are that they are completely flattening everything from the Tavern down over and rebuilding and having it built on "stilts" with car parking underneath?

Supposedly selling electricals and clothing like the other larger shops plus other retail units within the shop.

p.s What's happening to the old Gas shop? workmen busy and seem to be dividing the shop, anyone know what it's going to be?

Things looking up for Bedlington, Tesco extending, Gas shop, and a new computer shop, anything else opening up?

the old gas shop has been devided for a while now, just the walls had no finnish on them, as for whats happening, i dunno, but i also seen the work on the right hand shop.

i'm intrigued now, as to whats going on down at the tavern tho...

would tesco really spend all that money setting up shop just to close it while they demolish it???

whats happening with the morpeth plans?

you think they bought the waste ground opposite the courts too?

time to take photo's for nostalga methinks, before our front street is changed forever! :blink::unsure:

i see....

come on people! we need some rumours here!

get your gums rattling! :D:D:D

any idea when this meet at the CC is taking place? (i cant be bothered to read the paper or look for myself lol!)

I havn't got the paper now but i think the public can visit this Thursday and Friday or Friday and Saturday?

Maybe someone else has kept the article.

I havn't got the paper now but i think the public can visit this Thursday and Friday or Friday and Saturday?

Maybe someone else has kept the article.

from sw@lnalla's link:

Tesco to expand Bedlington store

Posted by Kim Carmichael on Oct 8, 08 05:03 PM in News

Supermarket giant Tesco has announced plans to increase the size of its Bedlington store by 17,000 sq ft, creating around 80 new jobs.

If given the green light, the multi-million pound move will amount to the biggest single investment in Bedlington's history.

As part of the proposal, six retail units and 15 offices would also be provided for local businesses.

although this mentions nothing about exactly whats to go...anyone know how big 17,000sq ft is in relation to whats there now?

i personally think it would be a shame to lose the tavern, but, time marches on!

anyone know for sure?

EDIT: i just noticed the "more" section to the article, but my browser wont redirect me, it keeps timing out, so appologies if theres extra info there!! :)

I was told by a nice lady in Tesco last week that it's going to be shops all the way down towards the spare land, and that therer are going to be different parts for each shop. Also that the entrance is going to change to be round in the car park, with just a small entrance on the front. She reckoned the plans are going to be at the front of the shop from today, but I haven't had a wander up yet...

Reading some of their corporate stuff online, they claim to be committed to listening to communities, but I'm unsure to how much they'll stick to their word. It would be nice to still have the Tavern about, if possible. But anything that keeps us from having to visit Blyth Asda for our goats cheese and bruschettinis has to be a good thing.

Sadly, my inside information seemed incorrect. There were no plans on display in Tesco.

That aside I managed to procure a reasonably priced demi-baguette of a high quality, while being served by a very friendly member of staff.

Wow!

It's a plan!

I was so excited for you all that I've scanned it in before I even looked at it! :D

There's a whole leaflet too, if anyone wants a look?

post-31-1224087391_thumb.jpg

I'm wondering about the large blue triangle set aside for 'cages' are they taking prisoner those who disagree with the proposals? Or charvas?

The mock-up of the street looks canny mind, with olde style buildings going a few further down than !*!@# Hat. And there's promises of Northumbrian cheese!

Get telt!

Finally! something a little concrete!

one thing i do notice is, the sun is named, and the tavern building is there, but just named as a PH? (public house?)

i wonder if the lack of detail on the name means something......

dont see a petrol station there as rumoured either...

I'm wondering about the large blue triangle set aside for 'cages' are they taking prisoner those who disagree with the proposals? Or charvas?...

Surely for the 42 days imprisonment without charge! But, do you get the chance to throw time-expired Tesco produce at them? :P

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now