Texas Style Smoker

Thought I would let you all know I have now built a Texas style smoker it works very simply it has a smoker box on the side and the main box is where you smoke the meat,poultry and fish I am smoking some home made sausages and pickled pork at the moment,i am sure our American and Canadian Geordie's know what a Texas Smoker is.

Thought I would let you all know I have now built a Texas style smoker it works very simply it has a smoker box on the side and the main box is where you smoke the meat,poultry and fish I am smoking some home made sausages and pickled pork at the moment,i am sure our American and Canadian Geordie's know what a Texas Smoker is.

At last! Something of interest that is not taking pot shots at anyone, and shows that there are a few members left who have others things in mind than the price of beer, or the sexual preference of other board members.

I love smoked barbeque, but I must admit that mine is store bought, and not hand made. You are obviously a man of many talents Brian, congratulations, and enjoy many fine meals.

Now, back to more interesting subjects before this site dies of terminal boredom.

Regards, Joe

Edited by Joe Rooney

Well said Joe, Can we expect some pictures Brian? being that we (here) are in a very small town the Texas smokers here are more community owned, pit roasts are popular, but they take quite some time and effort, but worth it! all this talk has got me going, I'm of to light the BBQ!

Vic

I have now gone to plan "B", plan "B" is basically purchase a Texas style smoker the reason being I spent a few hours in outpatients at our local hospital with an unknown stomach complaint, I did not use stainless steel drums for the smoker and i think some residue in the drums caused the problem with my guts ..........I have already copped heaps from her who must be obeyed so be gentle with your criticism

I have now gone to plan "B", plan "B" is basically purchase a Texas style smoker the reason being I spent a few hours in outpatients at our local hospital with an unknown stomach complaint, I did not use stainless steel drums for the smoker and i think some residue in the drums caused the problem with my guts ..........I have already copped heaps from her who must be obeyed so be gentle with your criticism

i take it no 'burning off' ceremony was preformed before the first cooking session then ;)

Hope your feeling better now, even if 'er indoors is giving you a headache!

No Mr Darn no burning off ceremony was performed, I did clean them with a high pressure hose but it was not successful, I have been thinking about a new project but i will let a bit of time pass before starting on it, just to let the boss forget.....

• 2 weeks later...
No Mr Darn no burning off ceremony was performed, I did clean them with a high pressure hose but it was not successful, I have been thinking about a new project but i will let a bit of time pass before starting on it, just to let the boss forget.....

Picture.jpg

This is the new smoker i bought shame i had to get rid of the one i built

• 2 months later...

aye man aa knaa wot a texas smoker is, I use an aluminium box about 4ft high by 16 ins square with about 10 shelves, a tray below that to hold a box of wood chips and spices etc with water, whisky or bourbon, and an electric heating element below that, I use fruitwood such as apple cherry or pear for flavor,

I cure the fish or meat with salt and that will release most of the water in an hour or two which is drained off, then season with any spices you fancy and coat with a good helping of brown sugar...stick it in the smoker overnight at about 100 to 110 degrees farenheit and its ready to eat the next day, if its fish and its filleted right you wont have many bones at all. this way the meat is fairly dry and it flakes nicely in your hand, I just finished two 7 or 8lb steelhead trout that I caught in lake Erie Pennsylvania the week before and everyone who tried it loved it

Hi Mickypotts

Nice to hear from you. I cure my pork in salt brine usually for about 24 hours and then slow smoke it for about 12 hours the fish is different i soak in a brine of brown sugar. salt and water then drain it, then to smoke i use a local hardwood and i add either cherry wood or the local banksia tree which is good when dried it is still a learning time for me ......

• 3 weeks later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now