A Feel A Bit Thick But Where Is Run

justme

don't know what's happened but. I need to install some new software for the yungin & I just can't find run. I've got Window's /Vista running & it's got me beat. Feel a bit daft coz I'm normally quite computor lit. But I just can't find it. too many sherbits I think but what ever.

ta

Pam.

Run means type the given program name on the command line (and then hit the enter key).

Alternatively it more likely means double click a given program's icon - which in Windoze amounts to more or less the same thing.

Whatcha gotta run then wor lass? :D

P.S.: One way of getting a (sort of) command line is to click on the Start menu and then hit the R key. Gives you a box where you can type the program name - probably!

Run means type the given program name on the command line (and then hit the enter key).

Alternatively it more likely means double click a given program's icon - which in Windoze amounts to more or less the same thing.

Whatcha gotta run then wor lass? :D

P.S.: One way of getting a (sort of) command line is to click on the Start menu and then hit the R key. Gives you a box where you can type the program name - probably!

lol. thanks but that hasn't worked for me. I can't install puppy luv for my daughter onto my laptop. It doesn't automatically install. It works ok on my other PC's but they don't have Vista on them. Not to worry.

if your talking about the 'run' command box, its been omitted by default on vista.

3 ways to get it up that i know of (ooo-err matron!)

1, hold the "Windows" key and tap [R] once. release the "windows" key. the windows key looks like this:

windowskey.jpg

2, hold [ctrl] and[alt] and press delete. choose to run the task manager, click 'file' in top left and then 'run...'

3, right click the taskbar (the bit at the bottom where your start orb (button) is)

choose 'properties'

click the 'start menu' tab

scrool down and check the 'run command' box

click apply

the Run command should now be listed in your start menu.

Hope that helps, if not, try and be a little more clear with your question ;)

if your talking about the 'run' command box, its been omitted by default on vista.

1, hold the "Windows" key and tap [R] once. release the "windows" key. the windows key looks like this:

windowskey.jpg

2, hold [ctrl] and[alt] and press delete. choose to run the task manager, click 'file' in top left and then 'run...'

3, right click the taskbar (the bit at the bottom where your start orb (button) is)

choose 'properties'

click apply

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

windowskey.jpg

choose 'properties'

click apply

thanks for that. but I still can't get it to install. it should do it automatically but it isn't.

this is what I get when I click on run & choose D: which is the drive the disk is in. so what do I do next.

d.doc

thanks for that. but I still can't get it to install. it should do it automatically but it isn't.

this is what I get when I click on run & choose D: which is the drive the disk is in. so what do I do next.

its ok I've just found out that the drive is knackered. thanks anyway.

unfortunatly the drive you are accessing is the vista recovery drive, not the CDRom drive. it is not a physical harddrive, but a partition of your main harddrive you will know as your C:.

this is a standard thing on microsoft vista, and is basically a copy of your windows setup at factory install to aid recovery of your system should it be required. this is a standard thing now, and is the reason you probably did not recieve an operating system disk with your laptop.

if you access your 'computer' section (formerly "my computer" in previous windows versions), you will notice it looks off and on like this:

mycomputer.jpg

C: being the main storage space and housing the operating system files, D: being the recovery section and your E: being your CDRom.

try replacing D: in your setup procedure with E:.

let me know how you get on ;)

its ok I've just found out that the drive is knackered. thanks anyway.

this may just be because your trying to access the wrong section...

try again using the steps above.

if this does not work, try accessing the drive by double-clicking the E: and see if you can find a setup file that way.

SETUP.exe is normally a good place to start, and is normally at the base of the disk's "tree". (first screen;) )

this may just be because your trying to access the wrong section...

try again using the steps above.

if this does not work, try accessing the drive by double-clicking the E: and see if you can find a setup file that way.

SETUP.exe is normally a good place to start, and is normally at the base of the disk's "tree". (first screen;) )

eh. lol. well I'll give it a go but like eh ?????????????????????

eh. lol. well I'll give it a go but like eh ?????????????????????

by the way the littlen ripped the draw out one day. Well not totally out like if you know what I mean. so would that have made a difference.

:rolleyes:

unfortunatly the drive you are accessing is the vista recovery drive, not the CDRom drive. it is not a physical harddrive, but a partition of your main harddrive you will know as your C:.

this is a standard thing on microsoft vista, and is basically a copy of your windows setup at factory install to aid recovery of your system should it be required. this is a standard thing now, and is the reason you probably did not recieve an operating system disk with your laptop.

if you access your 'computer' section (formerly "my computer" in previous windows versions), you will notice it looks off and on like this:

mycomputer.jpg

C: being the main storage space and housing the operating system files, D: being the recovery section and your E: being your CDRom.

try replacing D: in your setup procedure with E:.

let me know how you get on ;)

yip I've already tried that. Didn't work. I think its capoot. oh dear. looks like it needs to go into the shop.

more expense :rolleyes:

Any way this is what mine looks like. If its any help.

computer.doc

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

aye a totally get where ya comin from m8. Clever clogs. These blokes think just coz am a woman they feel the need to write in brail to make me understand. Or is it just they want to show off. well sexist p's or should I not call them that nowadays for fear of being sued for racism. lol. Well what the heck am havin a laugh anyway. :lol::lol:;)

only jokin. appreciate the help really.

yip I've already tried that. Didn't work. I think its capoot. oh dear. looks like it needs to go into the shop.

more expense :rolleyes:

Any way this is what mine looks like. If its any help.

well, it certainly aint showing there!

2 reasons for that,

1, its knackered... (yes, its a technical term...) and needs replaced,

2, the driver needs reinstalled.

if the drawer has been ripped off in the past, i would say it will need replaced.

the good news is, dell spare parts are easy enough to come by, and its easily enough replaced.

Just a case of knowing which screw to remove ;)

they start at about £5 depending on the model of the laptop. That online auction site that is in no way as good as Free Bedlington.co.uk Classifieds is a good place to start...

If your getting someone to do it for you, this job should take no more than 30 minutes, so dont let them take your eyes out!

Good luck!

aye a totally get where ya comin from m8. Clever clogs. These blokes think just coz am a woman they feel the need to write in brail to make me understand. Or is it just they want to show off. well sexist p's or should I not call them that nowadays for fear of being sued for racism. lol. Well what the heck am havin a laugh anyway. :lol::lol:;)

only jokin. appreciate the help really.

your a woman? wow!

its matterless really, but with a heading like "A FEEL A BIT THICK BUT" i thought i'd best be thorough...

;)

just to be even more thorough...

you dont mention the laptop model but i see it is a dell.

as an example of the ease, heres the instructions for an inspiron 2200 (i believe).

the picture has been reduced in size and quality. to view, click the bar at the top of the picture, and then click inside the picture that appears to enlarge it enough to read.

removedrive.jpg

its also here as an attachment if you want to download it for reference.

post-33-1214618225_thumb.jpg

your a woman? wow!

its matterless really, but with a heading like "A FEEL A BIT THICK BUT" i thought i'd best be thorough...

;)

a said a feel thick not I am thick. cheeky monkey. :lol:

well, it certainly aint showing there!

2 reasons for that,

1, its knackered... (yes, its a technical term...) and needs replaced,

2, the driver needs reinstalled.

if the drawer has been ripped off in the past, i would say it will need replaced.

the good news is, dell spare parts are easy enough to come by, and its easily enough replaced.

Just a case of knowing which screw to remove ;)

they start at about £5 depending on the model of the laptop. That online auction site that is in no way as good as Free Bedlington.co.uk Classifieds is a good place to start...

If your getting someone to do it for you, this job should take no more than 30 minutes, so dont let them take your eyes out!

Good luck!

I did say it was knackered.

just to be even more thorough...

you dont mention the laptop model but i see it is a dell.

as an example of the ease, heres the instructions for an inspiron 2200 (i believe).

the picture has been reduced in size and quality. to view, click the bar at the top of the picture, and then click inside the picture that appears to enlarge it enough to read.

removedrive.jpg

its also here as an attachment if you want to download it for reference.

its an inspiron . 1520 but thanks very much. I'll give it a go. :huh:

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now