Its All Over

Just to let everyone know, Neil & I have left the Dun Cow. Just couldn't make a living there.

Thanks to all our customers for your loyal support.

Its been Fun.

Very sorry to learn this! :(

Was it the tenancy agreement that didn't allow you to earn enough, or just the level of trade generally?

What are you going to move on to?

Very sorry to learn this! :(

Was it the tenancy agreement that didn't allow you to earn enough, or just the level of trade generally?

What are you going to move on to?

Well, the level of trade in Bedlington generally I reckon. The pub company still want there share of the pie with crazy prices!!!!!

The trade is pretty much impossible at the mo, so best just to go before we lose big money

Thanks again to all the good customers who we got to know and love.

Neil's got a job in the car trade.

I'm just gonna chill for a little while I decide what to do next.

I take it there's no possibility of renegotiating the tenancy agreement? They face more than a possibility of having to pay rates on an empty property for years to come (another of Gordon's tax grabs which will have entirely the opposite effect to the reason it was - supposedly - done), and a pub that isn't commercially viable is a freehold that's going to be near impossible to sell. If they've got any business sense they'll let you set the prices.

I'm afraid to say that things are going to get a lot worse, and that unlike previous recessions this one is going to be deep and very long. I won't bore you with all the reasons, but Gordo has steadily taxed the Country to death whilst fiddling the books. Unlike some other countries, who've put something aside for a rainy day, he's squandered the lot and the UK is now flat broke. Even worse: quite unnoticed by Joe Public he sold off all our gold reserves at the worst possible moment for a fraction of what they'd now be worth.

Darling has made a desperate situation even worse by squandering pubic money he didn't have on Northern Rock. Real inflation is far higher than the government can admit, and it is focusing on all the wrong things. House prices are set to fall 25% or 30% off the peak, real wages simply have to fall, and the party is well and truly over!

There's now no way out, even a change of government won't make much difference; at best all they can do is to stop pretending that it's just a short downturn and tell the truth. In all my decades in business I've never been more depressed about the long-term outlook.

So... I think your thread heading is more telling than you probably intended, and maybe this is a blessing in disguise for you?

I take it there's no possibility of renegotiating the tenancy agreement? They face more than a possibility of having to pay rates on an empty property for years to come (another of Gordon's tax grabs which will have entirely the opposite effect to the reason it was - supposedly - done), and a pub that isn't commercially viable is a freehold that's going to be near impossible to sell. If they've got any business sense they'll let you set the prices.

I'm afraid to say that things are going to get a lot worse, and that unlike previous recessions this one is going to be deep and very long. I won't bore you with all the reasons, but Gordo has steadily taxed the Country to death whilst fiddling the books. Unlike some other countries, who've put something aside for a rainy day, he's squandered the lot and the UK is now flat broke. Even worse: quite unnoticed by Joe Public he sold off all our gold reserves at the worst possible moment for a fraction of what they'd now be worth.

Darling has made a desperate situation even worse by squandering pubic money he didn't have on Northern Rock. Real inflation is far higher than the government can admit, and it is focusing on all the wrong things. House prices are set to fall 25% or 30% off the peak, real wages simply have to fall, and the party is well and truly over!

There's now no way out, even a change of government won't make much difference; at best all they can do is to stop pretending that it's just a short downturn and tell the truth. In all my decades in business I've never been more depressed about the long-term outlook.

So... I think your thread heading is more telling than you probably intended, and maybe this is a blessing in disguise for you?

Yes - in short, the country is well and truely stuffed. The licenced trade is really hard hit. As I said earlier, we are getting out before it costs us big time. Not even a renegotiation on prices could stop us. The pub companies dont care less either. They seem to prefer them shut for some strange reason!

Anyhow, heres to a new start.

Like GGG I am a bit shocked by your announcement as unlike a lot of traders in the town you at least seemed to be using each and every means at your disposal to stimulate trade. When someone is forced into this action because of no fault of their own it is especially depressing! Best of luck wherever you end up!

“Even worse: quite unnoticed by Joe Public he sold off all our gold reserves at the worst possible moment for a fraction of what they'd now be worth.”

He nearly set the price himself by letting the world know he was selling well before time and thereby initiating a drop in the price of gold just before he sold. Ah yes our well respected Iron Chancellor!

Real inflation is far higher than the government can admit, and it is focusing on all the wrong things. House prices are set to fall 25% or 30% off the peak, real wages simply have to fall, and the party is well and truly over!’

I am even more bearish everything just seems so stacked against a ‘moderate’ correction!

Like GGG I am a bit shocked by your announcement as unlike a lot of traders in the town you at least seemed to be using each and every means at your disposal to stimulate trade. When someone is forced into this action because of no fault of their own it is especially depressing! Best of luck wherever you end up!

“Even worse: quite unnoticed by Joe Public he sold off all our gold reserves at the worst possible moment for a fraction of what they'd now be worth.”

He nearly set the price himself by letting the world know he was selling well before time and thereby initiating a drop in the price of gold just before he sold. Ah yes our well respected Iron Chancellor!

Real inflation is far higher than the government can admit, and it is focusing on all the wrong things. House prices are set to fall 25% or 30% off the peak, real wages simply have to fall, and the party is well and truly over!’

I am even more bearish everything just seems so stacked against a ‘moderate’ correction!

Thanks for that. It was a nice pub & I hope someone else can make a go of it. The locals deserve it.

Sorry to hear this, but good luck with the new start.

Vic

Thanks Vic. You never know where I might turn up next eh. Watch this space.

Well we're off to Dublin for a few days tomorrow for a well earned break. Can't wait.

Sorry to hear the bad news its bad because it is probably the best pub in Bedlington good luck in what ever you and your hubby decide to do keep us in formed................Brian

Sorry to hear the bad news its bad because it is probably the best pub in Bedlington good luck in what ever you and your hubby decide to do keep us in formed................Brian

Will do. Thanks hin

Just to let everyone know, Neil & I have left the Dun Cow. Just couldn't make a living there.

Thanks to all our customers for your loyal support.

Its been Fun.

So sorry it didn't work out for you and hubby. All the best for the future.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now