Why Do The People Of Bedlington Not Get Behind Their Team?

Neil

Wednesday night we had about 50 there, today I'd say about the same with a few from Northallerton. So why is, that a town like Bedlington cannot get decent attendances through the gates of their top non-league side?

Let’s take Blyth, they have a good history, just like ourselves yet easily can get 300+ through the gates at a higher price when they play teams from lower leagues?

Bedlington, not too dissimilar in size to Blyth, also have a good history yet cannot get people through the gates no matter how hard they try? When we had success we would get 250+ every game, yet now, when we REALLY need backing, everybody has gone?

The chairman, Dave Holmes, and the people around him invest a lot of their own time into the club for no reward, and they need help. It’s as simple as that. Whether it be coming to the game and paying the £4 or offering to get involved with the club it doesn't matter. But we need to know that the town actually care about their team. I mean, we even have one of the best clubhouses in the league and the welcome you get is second to none.

We have plans for the future, big plans, but the only thing that will happen if things don't change will be the death of a club because the local community failed to get behind them in their hour of need. The town should have taken the warning a couple of years back when the club nearly folded, but it took two people from outside of the town to save it. Surely they are enough people in Bedlington to get a committee into the club working in a professional manner to drive the club on?

It pains me to say it, but it’s a shame that the town of Bedlington seem to have turned their back on the one successful sporting team that helped put the town firmly on the map only a few years ago.

I can only second everything Neil has said - it's ironic that out of a group of 5 regular supporters who are friends, only 2 (one being Neil) are actually Bedlington born and bred. The rest of us originate from South of the Tyne and only I actually live in Bedlington!

Where are the rest of you? I thought support for a football team was for good times and bad? Goodness knows we have had both over the years, sadly more of the latter in recent times. Chairman Dave Holmes is busting a gut to get the club back on an even keel and build so that the Terriers can once again be a force to be reckoned with in North East non-league football - your support would be very much appreciated in helping us get there

:)

Neil - Does the club put on any transport for away games?

Thanks guys, its good to know there'll be a few extra faces there on the 5th. I think a few of us may be sticking around after the game for a few drinks so let me or dave know if yous fancy joining us in the bar afterwards.

Transport to away games in the league is rare, usually just to some of the longer journeys like Northallerton. Generally the players and supporters make their own way there due to the cost of hiring buses which is a shame cos its always good craic on the bus.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately lost 5-1 against a team that were league favourites until a few weeks ago. We were never at the races today and even though the scoreline was harsh, we didn't deserve anything from the game.

Lets hope we beat survival and the big plans the managers have in place come off in pre-season, then it'll be back to the glory days!!!

Unfortunately lost 5-1 against a team that were league favourites until a few weeks ago. We were never at the races today and even though the scoreline was harsh, we didn't deserve anything from the game.

Lets hope we beat survival and the big plans the managers have in place come off in pre-season, then it'll be back to the glory days!!!

Fingers crossed

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Wednesday night we had about 50 there, today I'd say about the same with a few from Northallerton. So why is, that a town like Bedlington cannot get decent attendances through the gates of their top non-league side?

Let’s take Blyth, they have a good history, just like ourselves yet easily can get 300+ through the gates at a higher price when they play teams from lower leagues?

Bedlington, not too dissimilar in size to Blyth, also have a good history yet cannot get people through the gates no matter how hard they try? When we had success we would get 250+ every game, yet now, when we REALLY need backing, everybody has gone?

The chairman, Dave Holmes, and the people around him invest a lot of their own time into the club for no reward, and they need help. It’s as simple as that. Whether it be coming to the game and paying the £4 or offering to get involved with the club it doesn't matter. But we need to know that the town actually care about their team. I mean, we even have one of the best clubhouses in the league and the welcome you get is second to none.

We have plans for the future, big plans, but the only thing that will happen if things don't change will be the death of a club because the local community failed to get behind them in their hour of need. The town should have taken the warning a couple of years back when the club nearly folded, but it took two people from outside of the town to save it. Surely they are enough people in Bedlington to get a committee into the club working in a professional manner to drive the club on?

It pains me to say it, but it’s a shame that the town of Bedlington seem to have turned their back on the one successful sporting team that helped put the town firmly on the map only a few years ago.

Unfortunately Neil, Terriers have had a lot of bad press over the last few years and lost the trust of the people of Bedlington,well documented on this site,due particularly to one family! At one point we were assured that they would never be involved with the club again,yet low and behold a few month later up they pop again involved with the club.You will have to get a good PR campaign going to win the trust of the people and businesses of Bedlington,especialy if you are looking for financial support,Good luck mate.....You'll need it!

Unfortunately Neil, Terriers have had a lot of bad press over the last few years and lost the trust of the people of Bedlington,well documented on this site,due particularly to one family! At one point we were assured that they would never be involved with the club again,yet low and behold a few month later up they pop again involved with the club.You will have to get a good PR campaign going to win the trust of the people and businesses of Bedlington,especialy if you are looking for financial support,Good luck mate.....You'll need it!

Completely agree with the points that you make and yes we are fighting a battle, but its a battle we can win if people actually give the club a chance. Rest assured, only Keith is involved and only in managing first team affairs....even then, he only makes about one game in three due to other work commitments.

Rest assured, the club is absoutely being run correctly, it has to be or else the council would close us down. The AGM every year goes through the accounts and any problems people may wish to bring up, and they are addressed.

But with the people of the town not getting behind the club, only one thing will happen and that will be that Bedlington will be one of the largest towns in the North East without a team operating around the level we are at. We need support, just like we got less than 10 years ago when there was success, people just need to come to the club to witness the way it is run and the people who are involved. We have a hardcore of fans who make it to every home and away games and are renowned in footballing circles for the warm welcome we give our guests, and at home we have the same faces who turn out every week, which we are very grateful for. Yes we will make mistakes along the way (there isn't a course to go on as to how to run a non-league football club), but they will be honest mistakes and we will learn. But at times we do wonder just why we bother when support through the turnstiles is minimal and can be left scratching or heads as to why why don't make enough through the gates to pay for the match officials!

Neil I have lived and worked in and around bedlington for 20 odd yrs or more and you know what, I couldn't tell you when or who you will play next! I do not recall seeing anything advertised locally in shops or local pubs. If you want people like me to support terriers then you need to do something about getting the info to us. Prices would be a good start.

Or why not put this forum to better use!

I'm sure I can think of a few things to help you just give me a bit of time!

By the way I hope you win when you play again against whoever :D

Neil I have lived and worked in and around bedlington for 20 odd yrs or more and you know what, I couldn't tell you when or who you will play next! I do not recall seeing anything advertised locally in shops or local pubs. If you want people like me to support terriers then you need to do something about getting the info to us. Prices would be a good start.

Or why not put this forum to better use!

I'm sure I can think of a few things to help you just give me a bit of time!

By the way I hope you win when you play again against whoever :D

hear hear!

it would be nice to see the local teams supporting their local website, by using the announcments and sports section of the forum, Plus, the announcments section is fed by RSS.......Blah blah..

you get the point!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now