Logan-bottoms

I have been working on a family tree. I posted here before and am thankful for the response about my grandfather's family. I have a little more information to go on now about my grandmother's family. If anyone has any information about them or where I might find information I would appreciate it very much. I almost feel as though they never existed...but they had to because I am here today!

My grandmother was Catherine Logan. She married Leslie Markwell and they moved to the USA (Chicago) in Nov/Dec 1950 from Bedlington. They had three children when they moved to Chicago and then added one more son after moving. Their children were/are Eileen Heather Markwell, Alexandra Whilamina (Sandra) Markwell, Edward John Markwell, and Kenneth Lee Markwell. My mom is Sandra.

Catherine, my grandmother, was born on July 7, 1923. She had three brothers that I know of and one sister. Possibly another brother, a half brother. Her siblings were William Logan born in 1919, James Logan born in 1921, Robert Logan born in 1922, Doreen Logan born about 1926 or 1927. Their mother died in childbirth with Doreen. From what I have uncovered so far their mother's maiden name was Bottoms. I recall my grandmother always telling us her mother's name was Jane. So that would make it Jane Bottoms as her mother and unknown Logan as her father. My sister thinks maybe Bernard Logan but we are not sure.

I found a Jane Bottoms with a birth year that would fit the time frame...1888 with her parents being John and Hannah. If someone has information to prove or discredit this as her and her family please let me know. I am grasping at straws for information.

Robert, my grandmother's brother, died around age 19 of turbuculosis. Doreen was taken away by an auntie or some other relative to be raised. My grandmother never really knew what became of her. James married Elsie. I believed that her last name is/was Grant and she has a brother named Roger married to Edna.

Thank you to anyone who has taken the time to read this plea for help in finding out about my family. It bothers me that I cannot find any records of my grandmother or her parents. I have a membership for Ancestry but still nothing. I will look up information in exchange for information if need be.

My grandmother wanted this information for a long time and I put it off and put it off and now that she is gone I cannot forgive myself for not doing it sooner. I MUST find this information. Thank you.

Jennifer A

• 2 weeks later...

I remember a Mrs Bottoms back in the 1970's - 1980's. But, just at this moment, I've no further information. Will keep a look out for some.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. How wonderful to find a relation that I knew existed somewhere in America. I have read your message and can tell you that I am a neice of your grandmother Catherine. My grandmother Hannah Jane married Bernard Logan 1919. My grandmothers first husband John William Middleton was killed in the first world war when my mother Florence was two years old. My mothers maiden name was Middleton. I have, like you, tried to bring together my family history. It has been very difficult due to the two marriages of my grandmother and the various children. Grandmother's father was Thomas Bottoms born 1867 -1943 he married a Hannah Napier born 1865-1922. I have a copy of my Grandparents marriage certificate and my grandmother Hannah's death certificate which I can confirm she died from child birth pneumonia. My mum relocated to County Durham when I was about two months old and she would take me to Bedlington by bus twice a year to see her sister Jenny (Jane) married name Richardson and family. Until I began the family tree I thought my aunt Jenny and aunt Catherine were my mums full sister now I am not so sure and think they may have been half sisters (now I believe this to be true when you confirm Catherine to be a Logan). Mum was very family orientated and would talk about aunt Catherine emigrating although it was through aunt Jenny that mum would receive news as Catherine always sent letters to Jenny. I can remember on one of our visits when I was about eight of nine years old aunt Jenny proudly showing us a photograph of one of Catherine's daughters (in her cap and gown) when she graduated from university. Mum also spoke about three brothers who I believe was William born 1919, James 1921, Robert 1921. I did not meet any of the brothers on my visits and would wonder why, but mum either did not know of there whereabouts or for some reason she would not tell me, which I found strange but when I was a child it was a case of children should be seen and not heard, don't ask questions of a personal nature. The reason she did not explain may have been because mother was sent to Kent at fifteen to work in domestic service and returned to Bedlington at about twenty five years old. I hope this confirms that we are related and helps towards your search. I look forward to hearing from you.

Jean.

Hi. How wonderful to find a relation that I knew existed somewhere in America. I have read your message and can tell you that I am a neice of your grandmother Catherine. My grandmother Hannah Jane married Bernard Logan 1919. My grandmothers first husband John William Middleton was killed in the first world war when my mother Florence was two years old. My mothers maiden name was Middleton. I have, like you, tried to bring together my family history. It has been very difficult due to the two marriages of my grandmother and the various children. Grandmother's father was Thomas Bottoms born 1867 -1943 he married a Hannah Napier born 1865-1922. I have a copy of my Grandparents marriage certificate and my grandmother Hannah's death certificate which I can confirm she died from child birth pneumonia. My mum relocated to County Durham when I was about two months old and she would take me to Bedlington by bus twice a year to see her sister Jenny (Jane) married name Richardson and family. Until I began the family tree I thought my aunt Jenny and aunt Catherine were my mums full sister now I am not so sure and think they may have been half sisters (now I believe this to be true when you confirm Catherine to be a Logan). Mum was very family orientated and would talk about aunt Catherine emigrating although it was through aunt Jenny that mum would receive news as Catherine always sent letters to Jenny. I can remember on one of our visits when I was about eight of nine years old aunt Jenny proudly showing us a photograph of one of Catherine's daughters (in her cap and gown) when she graduated from university. Mum also spoke about three brothers who I believe was William born 1919, James 1921, Robert 1921. I did not meet any of the brothers on my visits and would wonder why, but mum either did not know of there whereabouts or for some reason she would not tell me, which I found strange but when I was a child it was a case of children should be seen and not heard, don't ask questions of a personal nature. The reason she did not explain may have been because mother was sent to Kent at fifteen to work in domestic service and returned to Bedlington at about twenty five years old. I hope this confirms that we are related and helps towards your search. I look forward to hearing from you.

Jean.

Thank you! Thank you! I have to admit I cried when I was reading your post! It all fits together! In fact, I have "Florence Middleton 1913" on a notepad on my desk with a big question mark next to it. I honestly had just started thinking that Middleton had to be the name of the first husband or maybe cousins of my family! How wonderful that it turns out to BE my family!!!!!

I understand what you said about not asking questions as a child. That is how it was for me and why I didn't have much information to go on. So many times during this search I have thought if only I asked or listened better or understood what they were talking about.

My mom remembers Aunt Jenny. She mentioned her a few weeks back when I was asking questions. She also mentioned Uncle Willie. I already knew about Uncle Bobby because Catherine would talk about him from time to time. And I met Uncle Jimmy several times. He came to America several times and in 1989 we took a trip out to stay with him in Bedlington. I was only sixteen at the time and not at all interested in family history. Catherine was heartbroken about never knowing where Doreen was.

There is so much I want to ask you. I would love to stay in touch and learn all I can about our family. I tried to call my mom this morning but she much be working or out for the day. I left her a message and am anxious for her to call me back! This has been the best email I have ever received!!!! Thank you!

Your cousin,

Jennifer

Thank you! Thank you! I have to admit I cried when I was reading your post! It all fits together! In fact, I have "Florence Middleton 1913" on a notepad on my desk with a big question mark next to it. I honestly had just started thinking that Middleton had to be the name of the first husband or maybe cousins of my family! How wonderful that it turns out to BE my family!!!!!

I understand what you said about not asking questions as a child. That is how it was for me and why I didn't have much information to go on. So many times during this search I have thought if only I asked or listened better or understood what they were talking about.

My mom remembers Aunt Jenny. She mentioned her a few weeks back when I was asking questions. She also mentioned Uncle Willie. I already knew about Uncle Bobby because Catherine would talk about him from time to time. And I met Uncle Jimmy several times. He came to America several times and in 1989 we took a trip out to stay with him in Bedlington. I was only sixteen at the time and not at all interested in family history. Catherine was heartbroken about never knowing where Doreen was.

There is so much I want to ask you. I would love to stay in touch and learn all I can about our family. I tried to call my mom this morning but she much be working or out for the day. I left her a message and am anxious for her to call me back! This has been the best email I have ever received!!!! Thank you!

Your cousin,

Dear Jennifer,

I am so glad that we have finally made contact and I have confirmed the information you had on my mum. What I am very curious about is your mention of uncle Jimmy, his visits to America, and your visits to his home. Uncle Jimmy, Aunt Jane and family were not very well off and to be quite honest would be lucky to afford the bus fare from Bedlington to Newcastle, whenever we visited, mum would buy various groceries to help towards our stay with them. Aunt Jane died about two years before my mum and mum died at 82 in 1995. Did your grandmother ever mention aunt Jane's disability? On our search for my ancestors my husband and I used a holiday to go to Ypres in Belgium to see the war memorial of my grandfather Middleton (your grandmother's first husband) and his brother's memorial in Arrass. As I had lost touch with aunt Jane's children we took a trip to Bedlington two years ago and hoped that I might find out what had happened to them by asking for news at the local shops and library, but no success. We have also spent time at the Morpeth archives centre and plan to go back to find further information. I will try to find information on Doreen through various channels. I am so glad that you decided to take an interest in your ancestory otherwise I may not have found you.

Jean

Jennifer

Uncle Jimmy was my granmother's brother, your mother's half brother. I knew that they grew up very poor and from the sounds of it very rough. Catherine would tell stories of stealing groceries in order to eat. I know my grandfather was a coal miner and I believe that Uncle Jimmy may have been as well. I think it was in later years that he and his wife, who I believe came from money, had visited the US.

Our visit was just one time in 1989. My parents had done well for themselves and paid for everything while we were there. I know my mother bought groceries to feed us while there and things like that. And also, when Jimmy and Elsie would come to visit I know they stayed with my grandparents and didn't have to pay for meals while here. I think they only had to pay for airfare to get here. And also, Jimmy and Elsie had no children so they may have had some savings as they didn't have the expense of raising children.

When you refer to Aunt Jane would that be Aunt Jenny? I seem to confuse myself everytime I think I have figured it out! hehe

I sent you an email with more information about this side of the family. Thank you for taking an interest in this because otherwise it may have driven me insane not having any answers to anything and feeling like the family never existed! Talk to you soon.

Jenn

• 1 year later...

Hi Jean,i have been reading your responses to Jenn's request's regarding her family tree. I am Jim,Your Aunt Jane/Jenny's son. I do remember you & your sister, also of course your mum. I must admit i dont remember which sister{Younger or Eldest?} as it has been so long since we last met. I am sorry to hear about your mum,actually i did try and contact you all when mum died in 84,but to no avail. If you do see this when you next visit this site,please do get in touch,Jenn in america has my E-Mail address. Warm regards to you and the family. Jim

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now