Bedlington as part of Wansbeck

Since the "union" of Ashington-Newbiggin and Bedlingtonshire, does anyone else feel that Bedlington is the forgotten part of the trio. Ashington has the swimming baths and sports centre recently updated, Newbiggin the sports centre. Can anyone tell me the whereabouts of these facilities in Bedlington as I have only lived here 59 years, and as yet not found them.

yup, pubs are along the front street, and the chippy is next to the subway. roumour has it we have a swimming pool at st bennet biscops, fee's payable at bedlingtonshire high school.

a squash court is available against the garages in west lea, (so the kids tell me) and the age old sport of 'curbsy' is still available along every street.

dunno what you all complain about!

Is it really so much of a sweat to drive your car or board a bus to the swimming pools at Ashington, Blyth or Cramlington?

Any new leisure development in Bedlington would only serve to attract hordes of dreadful, nit-infested kids from neighbouring towns (cf. the shows).

Is it really so much of a sweat to drive your car or board a bus to the swimming pools at Ashington, Blyth or Cramlington?

Any new leisure development in Bedlington would only serve to attract hordes of dreadful, nit-infested kids from neighbouring towns (cf. the shows).

ur totally right bedlington is forgotton about but it always has been really, theres more houses than owt else and i think the coucil arent arsed just as long as people are still living here. i think if we all said that we were gona sell up and move away thats the only way wansbeck council wud do anything for us. they are a total waste of space.....

there was a recent survey done of bedlington front street and everyone said that what bedlington really needed was new seats and bins, how pathetic, hows about gettin a new front street built because its all falling apart, look at maxi freeze thats been empty for about 2 or 3 yrs why dont they do sumthin about stuff like that coz the place is going to be totally derilict in a few years. people call it a ghost town now well they'll be right when it actually becomes empty!!!!

Yes, I'm sure it is!

I don't have my own car - can't justify it - and the bus services aren't that good or convenient. Would happily walk or cycle a mile or two though.

What limited facilities Wansbeck council provide the people of Bedlington with are poorly publicised and promoted. For most residents they might as well not be there!

Bedlington did far better when it ran its own affairs. All Wansbeck Council did was to close down our own swimming pool and fill it in! Bedlington gets a raw deal for the revenue it contributes to Wansbeck. That's a generally held view in the Town, and it's fully justified by both facts and history.

Yes, I'm sure it is!

I don't have my own car - can't justify it - and the bus services aren't that good or convenient. Would happily walk or cycle a mile or two though.

What limited facilities Wansbeck council provide the people of Bedlington with are poorly publicised and promoted. For most residents they might as well not be there!

Bedlington did far better when it ran its own affairs. All Wansbeck Council did was to close down our own swimming pool and fill it in! Bedlington gets a raw deal for the revenue it contributes to Wansbeck. That's a generally held view in the Town, and it's fully justified by both facts and history.

Facilites.....mmmmm.....law courts, police station, for sale signs, take-aways, chavs, etc

Bedlington converts into Ashington :huh:

Facilites.....mmmmm.....law courts, police station, for sale signs, take-aways, chavs, etc

Bedlington converts into Ashington :huh:

Correction: Bedlington Station is taking over Bedlington.

Guest missvic

i say we don't just ask for autonomy from the rest of wansbeck, but demand independence from the rest of the world... imagine, bedlington as a superstate... warheads on the pitheaps and a swimming pool at every road end...

i say we don't just ask for autonomy from the rest of wansbeck, but demand independence from the rest of the world... imagine, bedlington as a superstate... warheads on the pitheaps and a swimming pool at every road end...

That gets my vote.

Al join the Bedlington army if your starting one, all I want is three sqaure meals and a gallon of ale a day,

:D

That gets my vote.

Mine to.

Must have heard all the disenfranchised voices on this board, about the town, in the ivory tower across the water as 1.5 million squid coming Bedlington's way.........wow! Of course seeing might be believing.

A little redecorating isn't going to change very much, without an anchor store Bedlington is doomed to retail mediocrity at best. Considering our geographical location I find it amazing that Bedlington hasn't 'taken off'.

PS Just been checking out the Ashington forum :D

A little redecorating isn't going to change very much, without an anchor store Bedlington is doomed to retail mediocrity at best. Considering our geographical location I find it amazing that Bedlington hasn't 'taken off'.

I quite agree Swalnalla and the fact that Bedlington is in the middle of Ash,Mor,Bly and Cram is something the Home Office(cop shop) didn't miss! In the end every little helps and having a Front Street which everyone can see is a conservation area for its own worth will only help attract the type of business you describe. It is now up to the people who want to see Bedlington develop to make sure that money is spent wisely, at least question and hold to account every decision made!

I quite agree Swalnalla and the fact that Bedlington is in the middle of Ash,Mor,Bly and Cram is something the Home Office(cop shop) didn't miss! In the end every little helps and having a Front Street which everyone can see is a conservation area for its own worth will only help attract the type of business you describe. It is now up to the people who want to see Bedlington develop to make sure that money is spent wisely, at least question and hold to account every decision made!

I believe some of the rents being charged to businesses are what some call 'extortionate'.