Eco Cambois

Symptoms

Double-page spread in The Observer today about plans for an 'Eco-town' at Cambois - about 5000 new dwellings. It appears that a number of these towns are planned for around the country, the Cambois proposal being one of the smallest.

What's the local take on the scheme?

more over priced housing for the masses!  

My old man lives at Cambois. I think many of the locals want to see the regeneration of the village, but seem worried that all of the investment will go to this new development. The other end of the village (not far from where the Power Station used to be) still lacks some things which many of us take for granted. For example, a mains gas supply and also no village shop. The last one was barely open for 6 months before it went bust. :huh:

The thing is with Cambois - there's a lot of land there which is ripe for redevelopment. The eco village will be good, but the whole area needs sorting, not just the area near Brown's Farm.

And then of course - there's the new proposed Power Station !

Big G.Where exactly is this power station supposed to built? And where is this 'Eco' village to be built? I don't think these two would go together!

Merlin - the Eco village is being proposed to be built on where Vald Birn used to be, as well as the brown field site behind the Bucaneer. That's as much as I know.

With regards to the power station - they had sited it behind the dog track/Cambois Park. It's still undecided though. I'd bet that if it goes ahead, it'll go where the old one used to be.

Merlin - the Eco village is being proposed to be built on where Vald Birn used to be, as well as the brown field site behind the Bucaneer. That's as much as I know.

With regards to the power station - they had sited it behind the dog track/Cambois Park. It's still undecided though. I'd bet that if it goes ahead, it'll go where the old one used to be.

I re-call a newspaper article about the power station and the map they had showed the power station sited over the road from the old one,don't know anything about the eco village though.

I stood on the site of Bates colliery when they blew the chimneys of the old power station,got a video somewhere.

• 1 month later...

Update reported in The Guardian this morning under the headline ...

Quote:

New eco-towns to make it hard going for cars with 15mph limit

Half of all households in eco-towns will have to live without a car and those that have one will find their speed limited to 15mph, according to standards for the wave of new towns unveiled yesterday.

In a series of anti-car measures announced by Hazel Blears, the secretary of state for communities, large parts of the towns of up to 20,000 homes each will be car-free. Homes will instead be built no farther than 400 metres from a bus or tram stop, and car-sharing schemes will replace car ownership.

The measures came in the most detailed guidance yet to what will qualify as an eco-town. Gordon Brown announced plans for 10 such towns last summer in response to the housing shortage. Criteria aimed at achieving community cohesion include a skateboard park in every development, areas set aside for Gypsies and Travellers and "arrival workers" to help the first residents meet their neighbours and find community facilities.

By capturing rainwater and reusing waste water, eco-towns will also have to be "water-neutral", which means there should be no overall increase in water demand as a result of the development.

"A rigorous selection process has meant only the very best proposals have made it through," said Caroline Flint, the minister for housing and planning. "It's critical we get it right and I make no apologies for setting the bar as high as possible."

Other proposed initiatives include staff in every eco-town to offer residents and businesses personalised travel planning to adapt to the largely car-free environment.

The German town of Freiberg, home of Europe's largest car-free development, is cited as a good example. In Freiberg, bike lanes, light rail and buses have replaced cars and anyone who owns a car has to pay £12,500 for the parking space as well as a monthly management fee. Developers will also have to make room for allotments. "Giving people the opportunity to grow their own vegetables and plant fruit trees will ... turn passive consumers into active producers," the guidance states."

End quote

Advisors in the town to personalise travel planning - that conversation might go something like ... "walk down to the bus stop and check-up the timetable fixed to the shelter. Oh, you have - it's been what, vandalised? Sorry I can't help you then, I live in Ashington and drive here to work, haven't been on a bus for 20 years. Yeh, we've got our own reserved parking spaces in front of the office".

is vald burn knocked down like forgive me for being slow but i never been since i worked there

you know maybe if they do the houses surely the ammeneties i'll follow if the community big enough the demand will be there

is vald burn knocked down like forgive me for being slow but i never been since i worked there

you know maybe if they do the houses surely the ammeneties i'll follow if the community big enough the demand will be there

eh? did you breath in toxic fumes? :lol:  

Double-page spread in The Observer today about plans for an 'Eco-town' at Cambois - about 5000 new dwellings. It appears that a number of these towns are planned for around the country, the Cambois proposal being one of the smallest.

Personally I think the North Blyth/Cambois area is ideally placed for a business park with good road links, easily reinstated rail links and port facilities. There are not many other places which boast these ‘natural’ facilities. Building up to 5000 new houses at the far end might even compliment a development like that?

There is one thing which puzzles me though; Bedlington Station was always classified as an ‘area of deprivation’, as far as Gov grants went, one of the criteria being the lack of access to private transport by a section of its inhabitants. We now see a proposed new development where half the people will not be allowed car ownership, will this mean it immediately becomes and area of deprivation? Or is this the first step towards legislating against car ownership?

Yes build the houses using the latest eco technologies and even maybe slant the ownership towards eco responsible people and their private transport but saying half the people will not be allowed private transport could be akin to putting them in jail as there is very little by way of public transport to get them out of the immediate area. You can just imagine sitting in your eco friendly house at 10.00pm and you fancy a fish and chip supper. You have to check the bus time table, course there wouldn’t be one, then phone the only guy in the street with a car and see if you could get a lift up to the fish shop…….. It may be an area like Cambois might not be suitable after all!

A number of controversial sites for new "eco-towns" have been given initial backing by the Government.

The Department for Communities and Local Government unveiled its shortlist of 15 potential schemes for low-carbon, environmentally friendly towns, which will be whittled down to up to 10 successful bids over the next six months.

Housing Minister Caroline Flint said the eco-town schemes would help tackle the twin challenges of climate change and affordable housing, with the successful proposals having to supply between 30% and 50% affordable homes.

The settlements of between 5,000 and 20,000 homes, none of which are to be sited on green belt land, will have to be zero-carbon as a whole and be an "exemplar" in at least one area of environmental sustainability.

But many of the areas which have made it on to the shortlist have attracted protests over the damage they could do to existing communities or destruction of greenfield land and natural areas.

The sites which have sparked controversy include plans for a 15,000 home eco-town in Weston-on-the-Green, near Oxford, where Tim Henman's parents have lived for 40 years and where he grew up.

Other controversial sites which have angered local communities have made it on to the shortlist, including Pennbury in Lincolnshire; Middle Quinton, near Stratford, Warwickshire and Marston Vale and New Marston, Bedfordshire.

But other proposals which sparked protests, including one planned for Grovewood, Derbyshire, are among more than 40 rejected by the DCLG in drawing up the shortlist.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown announced at the Labour Party conference last year he was doubling the maximum number of eco-towns from five to 10 following a positive reaction to the project. But since then conservation groups and residents have grown increasingly vocal about their fears over the towns as details of potential sites emerged.

The Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE) said while one or two of the proposed sites could win its support if developed properly, overall it was "disappointed" with the shortlist. CPRE planning officer Kate Gordon said: "There are a number of locations that involve the loss of greenfield land, a loss of agricultural land and would damage attractive landscapes."

A number of controversial sites for new "eco-towns" have been given initial backing by the Government.

The Department for Communities and Local Government unveiled its shortlist of 15 potential schemes for low-carbon, environmentally friendly towns, which will be whittled down to up to 10 successful bids over the next six months.

Housing Minister Caroline Flint said the eco-town schemes would help tackle the twin challenges of climate change and affordable housing, with the successful proposals having to supply between 30% and 50% affordable homes.

The settlements of between 5,000 and 20,000 homes, none of which are to be sited on green belt land, will have to be zero-carbon as a whole and be an "exemplar" in at least one area of environmental sustainability.

But many of the areas which have made it on to the shortlist have attracted protests over the damage they could do to existing communities or destruction of greenfield land and natural areas.

The sites which have sparked controversy include plans for a 15,000 home eco-town in Weston-on-the-Green, near Oxford, where Tim Henman's parents have lived for 40 years and where he grew up.

Other controversial sites which have angered local communities have made it on to the shortlist, including Pennbury in Lincolnshire; Middle Quinton, near Stratford, Warwickshire and Marston Vale and New Marston, Bedfordshire.

But other proposals which sparked protests, including one planned for Grovewood, Derbyshire, are among more than 40 rejected by the DCLG in drawing up the shortlist.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown announced at the Labour Party conference last year he was doubling the maximum number of eco-towns from five to 10 following a positive reaction to the project. But since then conservation groups and residents have grown increasingly vocal about their fears over the towns as details of potential sites emerged.

The Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE) said while one or two of the proposed sites could win its support if developed properly, overall it was "disappointed" with the shortlist. CPRE planning officer Kate Gordon said: "There are a number of locations that involve the loss of greenfield land, a loss of agricultural land and would damage attractive landscapes."

copy n paste :D

According to todays news all sites in the North East have been rejected owing to lack of transport facilities,

This would be the transport system that has received minimal investment for years and years? :angry: You can bet your bottom dollar that the new power station will now get the go ahead at Cambois. That'll be the major reason as to why the eco-town is a no-go. :huh:

This would be the transport system that has received minimal investment for years and years? :angry:

It would appear that this is the exact reason why it has been rejected, does this not highlight a problem they were all ready aware of? Will this overdue investment now be forthcoming? It will be interesting to see what comes out of this.

:D

It would appear that this is the exact reason why it has been rejected, does this not highlight a problem they were all ready aware of? Will this overdue investment now be forthcoming? It will be interesting to see what comes out of this.

As long as it is not 'Ock' and 'Ick' standing on a plinth looking out to sea! ;)

It might be Gorden standing on a plinth Malcolm

I think he already is isn't he?

Yet another example of a large scale regeneration scheme for the area which is shelved! We really need some people with a bit of flair and imagination in charge!

Did Mr Cameron promise investment in the transport infrastructure during his party conference in Newcastle or would that be to much to expect?

Good for votes though.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now