What Year

jorga

1983 sorry got dates mixed up 10 year out

Are you sure? I'm told that Clevva Clothes had moved by 1975, and that it was a fruit & veg shop by then. Difficult to tell from the cars, too few and too far away.

But... Greggs looks suspiciously modern, and I think it was originally beside Barclays. Pity there wasn't a bit more to the left or right.

When was it called the Howard Arms? I`m nearly sure that`s what it`s called on that photo :unsure:

Up until the present day "brand imaging" it had always been the Howard Arms, at least within living memory.

I'm wrong about Greggs being beside Barclays (extreme right edge of photo), it was Carricks. For a while we had two bakery chains there.

And, I'm still being told that Clevva Clothes wasn't still there by the late 1970's - very puzzling!

What you can say with reasonable certainty is that it's a high-summer shot taken late morning. Maybe June or July. That there are virtually no cars around at that time of day - except a bit of passing traffic - , few people, and the shops look shut, says it must be a late Sunday morning. Get the year right and you can almost pinpoint the date and time!

might 'ave been wednesday morning when everyone done off to Morpeth for market day,still like that today,not the market,but a ghost town on wednesdays is Bedlington.Come to think of it it's like that the rest of the week as well.

Carricks, Greggs and Bakers oven all the same company. Greggs!

Cars suggest mid seventies

Looking at the red telephone box when did they disappear from the street?

no not back then they weren't my dad worked elliots all his life i spent a lot of my time there still think its early 80 just a shame we can't see what else was there know the howard arms burned down 84 so its before that and wasn't it the butchers next to tufs coz the slaughter house was round the back

Guest missvic
Even aliens wouldn't know whats in them pasties

zucchinipizasquare.jpg

:lol: :lol:

still say mid 70's

Don't you remember the GMTV where they had an alien in Greggs one morning? Maybe he just had a sausage roll and a stottie?

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now