R. I. P. - D. R. M.

threegee

BBC Click is currently reporting that Time Warner has abandoned DRM so there is only one major still holding out. They're wrong - Sony has thrown in the towel too!

• 3 weeks later...
BBC Click is currently reporting that Time Warner has abandoned DRM so there is only one major still holding out. They're wrong - Sony has thrown in the towel too!

D.R.M digital rights management 

John Kennedy, chairman and chief executive of IFPI

"Illegal downloads still outnumber legal by 20 to one. I am relieved that the proportion hasn't grown since last year, but I am horrified at a ratio of 5:95 for legal sales"

Somehow I think they are flogging a dead horse. If you look at what a DVD costs to produce compared to the selling cost, then make the same comparisons on an audio CD, it's apparent what a huge rip-off CDs have always been. This is particularly true here in the UK where we've been exploited for so long.

The days of the big record company are over, and their "money for old rope" back-catalogue profits too. I don't buy the nonsense that this will kill the music industry. Technology always opens more doors than it closes.

Somehow I think they are flogging a dead horse. If you look at what a DVD costs to produce compared to the selling cost, then make the same comparisons on an audio CD, it's apparent what a huge rip-off CDs have always been. This is particularly true here in the UK where we've been exploited for so long.

The days of the big record company are over, and their "money for old rope" back-catalogue profits too. I don't buy the nonsense that this will kill the music industry. Technology always opens more doors than it closes.

true but these so called music stars get payed to much any way! and the cat music corps will always find a way to make money!!!

• 11 months later...

...and finally: Last bastion of screwing the consumer, Apple ditches it too! Being phased out on iTunes over the next few months.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now