How To Block An Email Address?

sleepy

One way is to create a new email account, and NOT put it into every box that says 'put email here', and be careful who you give it too.

the rest depends on your email provider, as blank is hinting at, as some offer better services than others.

Obviously, we DO NOT want you to post your email address here! just the bit after the @ will suffice! ;)

If you have your internet thru AOL, and not just one of their free email addresses, i suggest you try their 'live help'. you can talk to someone in real time who will guide you through the settings you need to chance...if it is possible at all..

do this by typing "live help" into the AOL programs address bar (where you type web addresses)

Best of luck, and keep us informed of the outcome!

is it possible to block an email address it goes into spam just now but would sooner make sure it can't reach my pc at all

The pros say: ;)

==========

If it's spam you want to prevent then that would be a waste of time. The overwhelming probability is that the e-mail header is forged and the stated e-mail address does not exist. What's more the spammers are most likely using someone else's domain name in the e-mail address, and it didn't come from that quite innocent source anyway! So it's quite pointless complaining there and taking measures against innocent parties.

The best way to handle spam is to be very aware that every time you quote your e-mail address somewhere it might be sold. Have a throw-away address with one of the webmail services for filling in forms on sites you don't trust, and only provide your regular e-mail address to people you implicitly trust. In particular never display it on websites or public boards; it will surely be spidered many many times. That's why we have a Personal Messaging (PM) system here.

If you are running a business, where spam costs money, then please PM me and I can help you further. Our company has several ways to help you form an anti-spam policy, and even to police your suppliers who are selling their mailing lists.

If you have your own business getting professional advice on anti-spam measures plus other aspects of computer security and privacy would be a very good move.

If you're a private user I think you will be able to sort this out by alterations to your AOL account settings. I used to use AOL some time ago (then only dial up) and it actually had pretty good facilities for filtering out spam and blocking unwanted emails. I'm not familiar with the current version of AOL but I support Mr Darn™'s suggestion that you try AOL's "live help" service. I used this a couple of times and it was genuinely helpful.

Good luck.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now