Hello

Pete

Hi I am origanly from Bedlington but have lived in Leicester for the past 35 years, still miss the place and still visit.

Does anyone remember YMCA and Moscies (not sure if I have spelt that correctly) Bedlington station.

Hi Pete,

I remember the YMCA - I did a number of years of Karate training there in the mid-eighties - although this is a bit more recent compared to your memories...

Being also a relative ex-pat of Bedlington (a good 15miles now!), I do believe the YMCA is now no more. Some one please correct me if I'm incorrect.

But please, enlighten me (us?) of "Moscies"

But please, enlighten me (us?) of "Moscies"

Moscardini's Station Cafe - on the corner around from the station. Well known teenage meeting place in the '60s, and probably for some time after. Can't recall when it closed, but it was a feature of Bedlington life for many decades. Now an Indian take-away - what else! :)

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat...ale=5000&icon=x

Moscardini's Station Cafe - on the corner around from the station. Well known teenage meeting place in the '60s, and probably for some time after. Can't recall when it closed, but it was a feature of Bedlington life for many decades. Now an Indian take-away - what else! :)

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat...ale=5000&icon=x

When I was a kid on the Bank Top in the 1930's the grownups used to call the station Ice Cream Parlour "Rinaldi's" even though it was owned by the Moscardini family. It was one of those places where kids would even wash their faces to go .

I believe that Rinaldi may have been a previous owner. We had it at the top of any list of "must go" places, though we rarely did, seeing how things were in those days. But the Moscardini's were a great family, friendly, generous with the scoops, and well liked in the neighbourhood.

That all ended in the Summer of 1940 when Italy entered the war on Germany's side. A bunch of pub yahoos wrecked the place, and the Moscardinis were taken away.

I don't know what happened to them, or where they went. But we missed them, and after our house burned down in 1943, we had to leave the Bank Top, and I lost touch with a lot of local happenings.

As for the YMCA, I knew it was there, and lot's of fun for kids I knew, but since we were Catholic we were not allowed to belong to it. Just one of those dumb rules that made life a little less pleasant in those days.

When I was a kid on the Bank Top in the 1930's the grownups used to call the station Ice Cream Parlour "Rinaldi's" even though it was owned by the Moscardini family. It was one of those places where kids would even wash their faces to go .

I believe that Rinaldi may have been a previous owner. We had it at the top of any list of "must go" places, though we rarely did, seeing how things were in those days. But the Moscardini's were a great family, friendly, generous with the scoops, and well liked in the neighbourhood.

That all ended in the Summer of 1940 when Italy entered the war on Germany's side. A bunch of pub yahoos wrecked the place, and the Moscardinis were taken away.

I don't know what happened to them, or where they went. But we missed them, and after our house burned down in 1943, we had to leave the Bank Top, and I lost touch with a lot of local happenings.

As for the YMCA, I knew it was there, and lot's of fun for kids I knew, but since we were Catholic we were not allowed to belong to it. Just one of those dumb rules that made life a little less pleasant in those days.

Moscies did a good cup of expresso coffee and hot vimto, they also had a juke box which was great. It always was full of people every time you went in, spent a lot of time there in the early sixties.

Used to go in there on a Monday until it was time for the Clayton ballroom dance I think the Monday night dance was called The Teenagers. GREAT TIME.

• 4 weeks later...