Winters/hardy

azbma

Hello all. I'm just one more person tracing my ancestry. The info I have is my great great grandmother Margaret Winter was from Bedlington and my great great grandfather Richard Winter was from bank top. From what I have read is it safe to assume that bank top is a location in Bedlington? She was a midwife, he had something to do with horses. I was told they had 6 children, the youngest Mary married a Thomas Andrew Hardy, before they immigrated to the US in 1888. For years my grandmother got a newspaper from someone still in the area and she was told, "when the newspaper stops coming you'll know I've passed". I don't know who this was, but I must still have kin in the area. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I would love to find family...how cool would that be! :D

This is what is commonly known as BanK Top.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/#t=l&map=....67604:19.83991

If you tun on the Hybrid view and move your cursor near center there's a little road that joins between what is now marked as Furnace Bank and Stead Lane - hidden by trees/vegetation in the aerial view here. It's actually *very* steep and is not in use these days. In the old days I think that junction would have been the precise point of Bank Top.

Zoom out and you'll see how it relates to the S.E. Northumberland Spine Road, i.e. the motorway running from top to bottom.

I've seen pictures of the old Bank Top (houses now on Stead Lane/River View) somewhere on the site, but they escape me at the moment. Use the search on things like Iron Works. But that bit of our heritage has been periodically vandalised by the local authority, and so nothing much remains. :(

Hope you find everything you are searching for.

Thank-you for your reply. I find this all so fascinating. Is there a church "Saint John the Baptist? And does it have a cemetery? Thanks for your help. `Robin

This is what is commonly known as BanK Top.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/#t=l&map=....67604:19.83991

If you tun on the Hybrid view and move your cursor near center there's a little road that joins between what is now marked as Furnace Bank and Stead Lane - hidden by trees/vegetation in the aerial view here. It's actually *very* steep and is not in use these days. In the old days I think that junction would have been the precise point of Bank Top.

Zoom out and you'll see how it relates to the S.E. Northumberland Spine Road, i.e. the motorway running from top to bottom.

I've seen pictures of the old Bank Top (houses now on Stead Lane/River View) somewhere on the site, but they escape me at the moment. Use the search on things like Iron Works. But that bit of our heritage has been periodically vandalised by the local authority, and so nothing much remains. :(

Hope you find everything you are searching for.

... Is there a church "Saint John the Baptist? And does it have a cemetery? ...

There's a St. John's church at Bedlington Station (although officially Bedlington Station no longer exists being all Bedlington these days). The church is the large building near center of this photo:

http://www.multimap.com/maps/#t=l&map=....66811:14.39069

If there was a graveyard it has been long since built over. Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

I used to work with a bloke called Winter,he still lives in Bedlington and I still see him quite often.Next time I see him I'll ask him about his family,I'll show him your post and see what he says,not promising anything but I can try!

Good luck with your search

• 4 weeks later...
There's a St. John's church at Bedlington Station (although officially Bedlington Station no longer exists being all Bedlington these days). The church is the large building near center of this photo:

http://www.multimap.com/maps/#t=l&map=....66811:14.39069

If there was a graveyard it has been long since built over. Hope this helps.

Eh?! Don't lump that lot in with us top-end folk.

I used to work with a bloke called Winter,he still lives in Bedlington and I still see him quite often.Next time I see him I'll ask him about his family,I'll show him your post and see what he says,not promising anything but I can try!

Good luck with your search

That would be awesome! I figured I had kin still in the area and it would be fun to be able to find them. Thanks for your help!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now