Searching For Family

jennjenn72

My mother came to the USA as a small child. She was born in Bedlington. My grandmother had a rough time of it as a girl. Her mother died when she was three and her father died when she was in her teens or twenties. I promised my grandmother that I would look for her family and I never put much into it until now. My grandmother passed away and with her went the little information I could get on where to start.

If anyone could help me find a little more about my family I would be most appreciative. My grandfather's family was from Holy Island and I found some things about them...the Markwell Family. Unfortunately, I have nothing on my grandmother's side other than her mother's name was Jane and her father's name may have been Bernard Logan. My grandmother was Catherine Logan Markwell(born July 7, 1923) and she had two brothers, Bobby who died in a war and James who died in August 1997. Also there was a sister, Doreen. Jane died in childbirth with Doreen. Doreen was sent to live with an aunt, possibly in London, we have no clues on that.

I know this is a lot to ask. I am desparate to find answers but my financial situation is extemely limited. Thank you in advance for any assistance you may offer. =)

My mother came to the USA as a small child. She was born in Bedlington. My grandmother had a rough time of it as a girl. Her mother died when she was three and her father died when she was in her teens or twenties. I promised my grandmother that I would look for her family and I never put much into it until now. My grandmother passed away and with her went the little information I could get on where to start.

If anyone could help me find a little more about my family I would be most appreciative. My grandfather's family was from Holy Island and I found some things about them...the Markwell Family. Unfortunately, I have nothing on my grandmother's side other than her mother's name was Jane and her father's name may have been Bernard Logan. My grandmother was Catherine Logan Markwell(born July 7, 1923) and she had two brothers, Bobby who died in a war and James who died in August 1997. Also there was a sister, Doreen. Jane died in childbirth with Doreen. Doreen was sent to live with an aunt, possibly in London, we have no clues on that.

I know this is a lot to ask. I am desparate to find answers but my financial situation is extemely limited. Thank you in advance for any assistance you may offer. =)

Hello saw your post I know a bit about the Markwells, Minnie Markwell originally from Holy Island married my grandmothers brother and emigrated to Chicago in the 30s there is quite a few relatives still living. Sorry but I dont know anything about your Grandmother. Good luck in your search.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello saw your post I know a bit about the Markwells, Minnie Markwell originally from Holy Island married my grandmothers brother and emigrated to Chicago in the 30s there is quite a few relatives still living. Sorry but I dont know anything about your Grandmother. Good luck in your search.

Thank you for your reply. I remember Aunt Minnie. She was my grandfather's older sister. I grew up just outside of Chicago and now live near the city.

My grandfather was Leslie Markwell...the son of Ralph and Robina. I wonder if there might be a relative that would recall my grandmother's family.

Or possibly, you might know of my mother's uncle's widow and her family...they live in Beddlington. James Logan was my mother's uncle (my grandmother's brother). Uncle Jimmy's wife is/was Elsie. I believe her maiden name was Grant. Her brother's name is Roger and his wife is Edna. They have two daughters who would be in their thirties by now. We went to visit Beddlington in 1989 when I was only 16 and not at all interested in the family history. Boy do I wish I could go back in time and take advantage of when I was there!

Thank you so much for your help.

Thank you for your reply. I remember Aunt Minnie. She was my grandfather's older sister. I grew up just outside of Chicago and now live near the city.

My grandfather was Leslie Markwell...the son of Ralph and Robina. I wonder if there might be a relative that would recall my grandmother's family.

Or possibly, you might know of my mother's uncle's widow and her family...they live in Beddlington. James Logan was my mother's uncle (my grandmother's brother). Uncle Jimmy's wife is/was Elsie. I believe her maiden name was Grant. Her brother's name is Roger and his wife is Edna. They have two daughters who would be in their thirties by now. We went to visit Beddlington in 1989 when I was only 16 and not at all interested in the family history. Boy do I wish I could go back in time and take advantage of when I was there!

Thank you so much for your help.

Hello Your Aunt Minnies daughter is still alive aged 80 and living in Florida, her daughter lives in Chicago and I am in regular contact by email with them, also a cousin in her 80s lives in Arkinsas, they could have some information that might help you as they must have all emigrated to the US about the same time. Sorry cant help with the other names.

Hello Your Aunt Minnies daughter is still alive aged 80 and living in Florida, her daughter lives in Chicago and I am in regular contact by email with them, also a cousin in her 80s lives in Arkinsas, they could have some information that might help you as they must have all emigrated to the US about the same time. Sorry cant help with the other names.

I do remember a relative named Ruth who would be in her 70's or 80's and thought she may have lived in Arkansas. How exciting that you still correspond with Minnie's daughter. I am sure she would remember my mother and father...Sandra and Doug. If you wouldn't mind, would you ask her if she knows anything of my grandmother's family? My email address is jenn_abr -- AT -- yahoo.com. I would love to talk with her even if she doesn't have any info that I am looking for. Maybe she can fill in some things about my grandfather for me. Thank you so very much

---------------------------

[NOTE FROM ADMIN: The e-mail address has been slightly edited. Please try not to post e-mail addresses on the board. You will attract a huge amount of junk mail and the address itself will rapidly become useless. Contact people through the PM facility, you can then, if you wish, exchange personal contact info privately.

Always make sure you have PM enabled in your control panel - you have full control over who can and can not message you, and a can ask moderators for help if you are pestered.]

I do remember a relative named Ruth who would be in her 70's or 80's and thought she may have lived in Arkansas. How exciting that you still correspond with Minnie's daughter. I am sure she would remember my mother and father...Sandra and Doug. If you wouldn't mind, would you ask her if she knows anything of my grandmother's family? My email address is jenn_abr -- AT -- yahoo.com. I would love to talk with her even if she doesn't have any info that I am looking for. Maybe she can fill in some things about my grandfather for me. Thank you so very much

I will ask her next time I email her and give her your email address, you might even live near her in Chicago. Hope there`s a happy ending to this story.

---------------------------

[NOTE FROM ADMIN: The e-mail address has been slightly edited. Please try not to post e-mail addresses on the board. You will attract a huge amount of junk mail and the address itself will rapidly become useless. Contact people through the PM facility, you can then, if you wish, exchange personal contact info privately.

Always make sure you have PM enabled in your control panel - you have full control over who can and can not message you, and a can ask moderators for help if you are pestered.]

No it is Ruby and her daughter Charlene that I am in contact with, I used to write to Cora but have not heard from her in 3 years.

My mom said they may not remember her or my dad but they would definately remember my grandparents...Leslie and Catherine Markwell. Maybe Ruby will remember something about my grandmother's family. My sister said something about the Logan's coming from Cork County Ireland. My sister isn't sure though. Thank you again for all your help. =)

• 8 months later...
My mom said they may not remember her or my dad but they would definately remember my grandparents...Leslie and Catherine Markwell. Maybe Ruby will remember something about my grandmother's family. My sister said something about the Logan's coming from Cork County Ireland. My sister isn't sure though. Thank you again for all your help. =)

Hello!

I have only just discovered this site and become a member - I am wondering if you are still trying to trace family here as I beleive I know of some people in the Bedlington area who may be related to you. The names seem familiar to me. I will await a response before I reply again as this is a public area - granted just to members of Bedlington.co.uk!

• 1 year later...

Hello!

I have only just discovered this site and become a member - I am wondering if you are still trying to trace family here as I beleive I know of some people in the Bedlington area who may be related to you. The names seem familiar to me. I will await a response before I reply again as this is a public area - granted just to members of Bedlington.co.uk!

Thank you for replying...I am so anxious to hear if you have more info for me. I had to make a new profile as I could no longer sign in with the old one. My grandparents were Cathy and Les Markwell. My grandmother's brother was Jim Logan and his wife Elsie. Elsie has a brother Roger (maybe Grant) and his wife Edna. Roger and Edna have two daughters, Heather and Tracy. Heather was pregnant when my family was there in 1989 for a visit. I hope this helps. Thank you so very much.

Jenn

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now