Bedlingtons Pubs

I see there is a "Battle of the Bands" in the Red Lion on Sunday. Wonder if our old teen rocker pals The False Miracles are playing.

Mr Hair, Sos, Mad Kev & Mr Reid are said to be holed up in the garage :blink:

"Blyth's budding rock scene is exposed on a major new CD release this month.

'Beach Ball' features six of the towns best bands and looks set to attract national interest. The CD project is funded by Blyth Valley Council and coordinated by Carole Grimshaw, who told Generator: "There's a wealth of talent in Blyth but until now it hasn't been given the chance to make its mark. The 'Beach Ball' CD looks set to generate a wave of interest in Blyth never seen before".

There's no doubting the potential of the bands featured. UNEXPLAINED LAUGHTER have already attracted national interest for their timeless tunes and electric live shows. THE LOST ANGELS provide a blast of original powerpop, whilst ILLICIT BLISS are powerful and tuneful, with heavy metal influences. The CD line-up is completed by new boys BODYSWERVE, the guitar based minimalism of TRACKS and the wild punk rockabilly of SPOOK 'N' THE GHOULS.

So where did it ail begin? The CD project was developed as part of the festivities for the Blyth Valley Festival in July'95. As well as gigs, an all night beach party and Generator's Northern Exposure showcase, the idea was to create a long term legacy of the Festival - 'Beach Ball' is designed to draw attention to Blyth's rising music scene.

The CD was recorded at Ramshackle Studio's at the Bunker, Sunderland by ex- Leatherface member Frankie Stubbs, whilst the photographs for the design were provided by members of BRIC, Blyth's centre of the unemployed and the entire project was overseen at all stages by The Blyth Valley Cultural Development Section.

'Beach Ball' certainly looks set to strike a chord for Blyth bands and has already picked up interest from several major labels, which proves that neither Newcastle, Sunderland or Middlesbrough have the monopoly on the best unsigned talent. For more into on 'Beach Ball' contact Cultural Development Services, Blyth Valley Council on 01670 542348.

Sue Wilkinson."

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Beach Ball' features six of the towns best bands and looks set to attract national interest. The CD project is funded by Blyth Valley Council and coordinated by Carole Grimshaw, who told Generator: "There's a wealth of talent in Blyth but until now it hasn't been given the chance to make its mark. The 'Beach Ball' CD looks set to generate a wave of interest in Blyth never seen before".

There's no doubting the potential of the bands featured. UNEXPLAINED LAUGHTER have already attracted national interest for their timeless tunes and electric live shows. THE LOST ANGELS provide a blast of original powerpop, whilst ILLICIT BLISS are powerful and tuneful, with heavy metal influences. The CD line-up is completed by new boys BODYSWERVE, the guitar based minimalism of TRACKS and the wild punk rockabilly of SPOOK 'N' THE GHOULS.

So where did it ail begin? The CD project was developed as part of the festivities for the Blyth Valley Festival in July'95. As well as gigs, an all night beach party and Generator's Northern Exposure showcase, the idea was to create a long term legacy of the Festival - 'Beach Ball' is designed to draw attention to Blyth's rising music scene.

The CD was recorded at Ramshackle Studio's at the Bunker, Sunderland by ex- Leatherface member Frankie Stubbs, whilst the photographs for the design were provided by members of BRIC, Blyth's centre of the unemployed and the entire project was overseen at all stages by The Blyth Valley Cultural Development Section.

'Beach Ball' certainly looks set to strike a chord for Blyth bands and has already picked up interest from several major labels, which proves that neither Newcastle, Sunderland or Middlesbrough have the monopoly on the best unsigned talent. For more into on 'Beach Ball' contact Cultural Development Services, Blyth Valley Council on 01670 542348.

Sue Wilkinson."

Oh dear.

Saw the tavern covered in red paint last night. The outside is starting to resemble a jackson pollock work, or a stone roses cover art.

What a load of old Pollocks.

yeah they are tryin to make an impact this time bt who cares red paint can get covered up too LOL well the brewery is payin for it so no skin off our noses in the market tavern coz we dont care!!!

By the way this friday is gintys taxi the folk band, its a great nite bt dont get busy until about 9pm, hope to see some of you lot there, emz x :rolleyes::D:rolleyes:B)

Guest missvic

some of these new fangled nightclubs in the big smoke would pay good money for a snazzy art like that on their walls... i say everyone going to see ginty's taxi (the great folk band in the tavern on friday night 9.00pm) should take their best gloss paint out with them and have a bit splash on...

Wahey! This CD gets my wholehearted support, if only because of its link to the Blyth beach party of July 1995. This was the summer before I moved to London to university, and I went to the beach party with a couple of friends and some trepidation. Weirdly, a lot of people there recognised me, despite my retiring nature, and didn't want to smash my face in. Defying all expectations, I managed to lose my virginity there, to a lovely goth from Tynemouth.

So I'll look out for this CD (the likelihood of "national interest" spreading to Soho record shops?), although for the life of me I can't remember what any of the bands were like.

Love BoB

Sue Wilkinson."

Guest missvic
Defying all expectations, I managed to lose my virginity there, to a lovely goth from Tynemouth.

Love BoB

well, if this is the same bob, i certainly recall you were an outdoors kinda guy!

maybe there could be a new forum for the al fresco sexationalists?

(i, for one, however, will not be reading the posts)

If this is the same pouting redhead Miss Vic, I'm sure you know that there are, of course, many forums (fora?) dotted around the internet devoted to this subject. I should imagine. No, I wouldn't read them either.

However, in the interests of sparking a discussion, I also had teenage sex on the golf course, in the former Presto's car park, among the Free Woods and behind both the former Dominics and the Black Bull. And the toilets of the Red Lion, although that's not technically al fresco.

How on Earth are you, by the way?

well, if this is the same bob, i certainly recall you were an outdoors kinda guy!

maybe there could be a new forum for the al fresco sexationalists?

(i, for one, however, will not be reading the posts)

If this is the same pouting redhead Miss Vic, I'm sure you know that there are, of course, many forums (fora?) dotted around the internet devoted to this subject. I should imagine. No, I wouldn't read them either.

However, in the interests of sparking a discussion, I also had teenage sex on the golf course, in the former Presto's car park, among the Free Woods and behind both the former Dominics and the Black Bull. And the toilets of the Red Lion, although that's not technically al fresco.

How on Earth are you, by the way?

Dorty ape!

Guest missvic

and the patrons of many a pub have heard of your exploits in a newcastle car park... as i announce it to everyone whenever your around!!!

Yes, various girlfriends of mine have been delightedly regaled with that tale. It's certainly one of my favourites, filling me with nostalgia and pride. I would have put the car park of the former Gallowgate coach station in the list, but this is a Bedlington forum and I didn't want to go off-topic.

I'm thinking maybe this isn't as common a subject as I'd thought, as the rest of the board seems to have been stunned ino silence. Denzel seems particularly deflated.

and the patrons of many a pub have heard of your exploits in a newcastle car park... as i announce it to everyone whenever your around!!!

Yes, various girlfriends of mine have been delightedly regaled with that tale. It's certainly one of my favourites, filling me with nostalgia and pride. I would have put the car park of the former Gallowgate coach station in the list, but this is a Bedlington forum and I didn't want to go off-topic.

I'm thinking maybe this isn't as common a subject as I'd thought, as the rest of the board seems to have been stunned ino silence. Denzel seems particularly deflated.

They're amazed that someone has tried to claim my mantle as 'King of Hack'. There's nothing for you here boy, move on to the next town.

They're amazed that someone has tried to claim my mantle as 'King of Hack'. There's nothing for you here boy, move on to the next town.

nobody will ever beat you denzel, i think most of us know you and can confirm that :rolleyes::D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

p.s we got an irish band on in the tavern on fri nite, 9pm mite b quiet bt streets dead at the minute, jst get pissed (well thats normal) and enjoy our band!!!!