Loathe: The Bedlington Terrier!

Mr Darn

Do you agree or disagree?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a few points of the breed,

i think it could apply to quite a few of our human Bedlington Terriers, the breed would not be my personal choice, but it is a very distinctive little dog although not that many living in Bedlington, our shops could capitalise more by selling souvenirs for the many visitors and tourists !!!! : lol:

General Appearance

A graceful, lithe, muscular dog, with no signs of either weakness or coarseness. Whole head pear or wedge-shaped, and expression in repose mild and gentle.

Characteristics

Spirited and game, full of confidence. An intelligent companion with strong sporting instincts.

Temperament

Good-tempered, having an affectionate nature, dignified, not shy or nervous. Mild in repose but full of courage when roused.

Ears

Moderately sized, filbert-shaped, set on low, and hanging flat to cheek. Thin and velvety in texture; covered with short fine hair with fringe of whitish silky hair at tip.

Mouth

Teeth large and strong. Scissor bite, i.e. upper teeth closely overlapping lower teeth and set square to the jaws.

Neck

Long and tapering, deep base with no tendency to throatiness. Springs well up from shoulders, and head carried rather high.

Body

Muscular and markedly flexible. Chest deep and fairly broad. Flat ribbed, deep through brisket which reaches to elbow. Back has natural arch over loin creating a definite tuck-up of underline. Body slightly greater in length than height.

Feet

Long hare feet with thick and well closed up pads. Pads sound and free from cracks or horny excrescences.

Tail

Moderate length, thick at root, tapering to a point and gracefully curved. Set on low, never carried over back.

Gait/Movement

Capable of galloping at high speed and have appearance of being able to do so. Action very distinctive, rather mincing, light and springy in slower paces and slight roll when in full stride.

Size

Height: about 41 cms (16 ins) at withers. This allows for slight variation below in the case of a bitch and above in the case of a dog. Weight: 8-10 kgs (18-23 lbs).

Note

Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

©

lets face it, it looks like a cross between a wippet and a sheep!

i mean come on, couldnt we have founded a better looking dog to be our mascot?

Whats your views on our darling little dog? I'd have been happier with a pink labrador or something... :P

what! :angry:

bedlington terriers are canny little dogs and its nice to think they were bred here! if you want a pink labrador move somewhere else like blyth or ashington!  :angry:

what! :angry:

bedlington terriers are canny little dogs and its nice to think they were bred here! if you want a pink labrador move somewhere else like blyth or ashington! :angry:

If everyone you told to move out of bedlington, did, you'd be here yourself!

Isnt anyone but you allowed to have an opinion

Isnt anyone but you allowed to have an opinion

Have to side with Monsta here.

We might all have German Shepherds, Labradors, etc. etc. (doubtless on the "choose a pet to look like yourself" theory). But not paying homage to our local, ever-so-cute, furry friends is nothing short of sacrilege! Go wash your mouth out with Brown Ale!! :lol:

Have to side with Monsta here.

We might all have German Shepherds, Labradors, etc. etc. (doubtless on the "choose a pet to look like yourself" theory). But not paying homage to our local, ever-so-cute, furry friends is nothing short of sacrilege! Go wash your mouth out with Brown Ale!! :lol:

so wheres the 'like: our cute little furry animal origionally from bedlington that looks like a sheep and mr darn/oblivious dont like the look of' thread in this forum?

i dont like the bliddy animal. nor do i like jack russels or whippets. or chocolate ice cream for that matter, but i'd be happier if we had invented something like that to be world renouned for!

I think alot of people think the same, maybe not the majority but alot.

Hence why no-one has bothered risking the expence of setting up a souvineer section in a small corner somewhere in bedlington. (the back of moods would be an idea, where they keep the stationary n stuff??)

The Bedligton Terrier dog is the only reason why people around the world know that there even is a town called Bedlington.

Well, I think they are nice looking dogs and they are canny too.

You should have put a poll on your post Mr darn, then we could have all voted against you!

:P

The Bedligton Terrier dog is the only reason why people around the world know that there even is a town called Bedlington.

Well, I think they are nice looking dogs and they are canny too.

You should have put a poll on your post Mr darn, then we could have all voted against you!

:P

Blank, thats not a bad idea, just a simple 'agree' 'disagree' on all threads in this section, what about it 3g?

(Poll added to my threads!)

bedlington_terrier_03a.jpg 

I like the Bedlington terrrier, always have!

Criticising them is like saying you don't like stotty cake and jam, because you think you are deprived without real cake!

My Uncle Jimmy gave me one when I was a kid. Like me, it was a cross breed. But it was tough, loyal, and affectionate.

All the things I wanted to be, but never quite achieved, I had in that dog!

When he died, I lost a large piece of my belief in happy ever after. But I have never forgotten him. Even now I think that he was my best, and most understanding friend! So there!

This brings up a problem. In North America, the Bedlington Terrier is mistakenly described as an American breed. Now that is abusing the truth. But even some Canadian vets have told me that the breed has been developed to a much higher standard of purity than was ever achieved in the UK.

I somehow doubt it, especially when I see the poncy way that American breeders comb and trim the appearance of show Bedlintons. Big square heads, and invisible eyes are only the most obvious of the horrendous things they do to the Terrier in North America.

But I still miss the Bedlington Terrier of my childhood.

Do the English breeders of Bedlington Terriers ever issue those big well photographed calendars, that seem to cover every breed known to god and man, and even of some breeds that no ones ever heard of!

If anybody knows where to find such a calendar, featuring the classic Bedlington Terrier. Please let me know, so that I can get myself something that I would really like for Christmas. I get enough of the other stuff, too expensive and totally useless. But I really would like a Bedlington Terrier calendar for Christmas!

Thanks for listening, or reading anyway.

Joe

no...i agree, some clarification please!

i personally like them both the same.....

I know of neither personally, i think they both look funny, and if offered to look after either one for a week i'd say no!!

:lol::lol::lol:;)

thought you had a thing for dog !*!@# ? :lol:  not to mention the cute little terrier! :lol::lol::lol:

you know...i just dont get it!

i have saved about 100 lives in my first Aid career, and do i get known as Mr Darn the life saver?

i sniff 1 dogs !*!@# ......

;)

I see a link here..were you giving mouth to mouth to a dog in the dark :lol:

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now