Whats Happening In Bedlington

Pete

There seems to be a lot of strong feelings about these councilors, is it not possible to form an Independent party and challenge them at the next local elections as I am sure you will probably find others who do not use this web site but would be of the same opinion as yourselves.

Yes these are the same councilors who slagged off " Maggie " about allowing people the opportunity to buy there council houses and now these same councilors are selling the remaining to a housing trust!!!! talk about double standards, but they will have a valid reason I,m sure lol erm could it be jobs for the boys (and girls) watch this space

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Threegee,

I take your point about the councillor make up of WDC and the fact that the power base is across the water, isn't it time for none political ballot papers for local elections? This should ensure the electorate at least finds out who they going elect! In fact to tackle the much heralded "apethy" question I would include a box marked, "None of the above" as I do not necessarilly belive not voting is truely apethy it may just be a protest.

I do believe for some strange quasi political reason the Bedlington councillors are obviously ineffective, and have been for some years, maybe it is time to impose passport controls on Stakeford Bridge and reimpose the old boundaries of Bedlingtonshire declaring a seperate state!

Threegee,

I do believe for some strange quasi political reason the Bedlington councillors are obviously ineffective, and have been for some years, maybe it is time to impose passport controls on Stakeford Bridge and reimpose the old boundaries of Bedlingtonshire declaring a seperate state!

Perhaps there should be some kind of aptitude or IQ test for councillors and politicians. My experience is that most couldn't arrange a piss up in a brewery, ask them a question and they resort to the party line which of course they have memorised. Just like one of the budgie's I had as a youngster, vote Labour and support a mouthpiece.

Apathy :)

Perhaps there should be some kind of aptitude or IQ test for councillors and politicians. My experience is that most couldn't arrange a piss up in a brewery, ask them a question and they resort to the party line which of course they have memorised. Just like one of the budgie's I had as a youngster, vote Labour and support a mouthpiece.

Apathy :)

Actually there was supposed to be a basic test for councillors and some councils actually took them, I asked the question but WDC seems impervious to such things!

I'll be honest here, I don't know what this means. Do you?

CK,

As long as there are poltical references on local election ballot papers people will vote for the National party of their choice, normally. It is much easier than finding out what the person stands for in the locality. If there were just names on ballot papers it would be up to either the person who wants your vote to get his/her message across or the voter to find out what each person stands for. In fact I would make it manditory for every local councillor to be independent because I just do not see the relevance of national parties in local elections. That should ensure the end of the local poltical whip!

Most people probably suspect that local councillors are going to be self-important, backhander-taking, corrupt toerags.

At least the ones who are told what to do by their party are carrying out policies that somebody half-decent has thought up, rather than pursuing their own money-grubbing agenda.

Most people probably suspect that local councillors are going to be self-important, backhander-taking, corrupt toerags.

At least the ones who are told what to do by their party are carrying out policies that somebody half-decent has thought up, rather than pursuing their own money-grubbing agenda.

CK,

I couldn't disagree more!

You only have to open any paper or watch a news programme to see that the farther up the greasy pole a politician goes the more your first paragraph and the adjectives ring true. Most local politicians of any party colour will start with some degree of altruism, even if they just have time to fill in, it is only when they get into the real nuts and bolts of the situation that the realisation comes that they are in a big machine without any personal control.

Independent councillors, who seem at the moment to be elected on single issues, have the same problems, they are faced with an overwhelming torrent of votes by councillors who have been ORDERED to vote in certain ways, not necessarily the way they would have if given a degree of self determination. I still do not see what a National Executive has to do with getting the pavement fixed outside Mrs Bloggs house? I would be very interested in knowing just who these "half decent" somebody’s are because they are making decisions which we have no control over, how can we hold them to account and isn't that what a democratic system is all about? Much better to have all local decisions made by locally accountable people who base their actions on merit rather than a party whip!

CK,

I couldn't disagree more!

You only have to open any paper or watch a news programme to see that the farther up the greasy pole a politician goes the more your first paragraph and the adjectives ring true. Most local politicians of any party colour will start with some degree of altruism, even if they just have time to fill in, it is only when they get into the real nuts and bolts of the situation that the realisation comes that they are in a big machine without any personal control.

Independent councillors, who seem at the moment to be elected on single issues, have the same problems, they are faced with an overwhelming torrent of votes by councillors who have been ORDERED to vote in certain ways, not necessarily the way they would have if given a degree of self determination. I still do not see what a National Executive has to do with getting the pavement fixed outside Mrs Bloggs house? I would be very interested in knowing just who these "half decent" somebody’s are because they are making decisions which we have no control over, how can we hold them to account and isn't that what a democratic system is all about? Much better to have all local decisions made by locally accountable people who base their actions on merit rather than a party whip!

I could go for 'non-party' politics at local level, common interest combined with local knowledge seems sensible to me but that's not going to happen is it? Maybe common sense is not so common.

I could go for 'non-party' politics at local level, common interest combined with local knowledge seems sensible to me but that's not going to happen is it? Maybe common sense is not so common.

It's pretty scarce around this area.

My piles are acting up. :(

Try some TCP cream it ussaly does the trick

:D:D

nothing at all, its boring up here at the minute, went to morpeth fayre yesterday which was really good, but far to hot!!!It was really busy as usual but enjoyed the day anyway. apart from that there dittly squat goin on around here

Have they still got the rowing boats at Morpeth?

CK,

As long as there are poltical references on local election ballot papers people will vote for the National party of their choice, normally. It is much easier than finding out what the person stands for in the locality. If there were just names on ballot papers it would be up to either the person who wants your vote to get his/her message across or the voter to find out what each person stands for. In fact I would make it manditory for every local councillor to be independent because I just do not see the relevance of national parties in local elections. That should ensure the end of the local poltical whip!

Yes but, be careful of wanting lots of independent groups because it smacks of the likes of the ba-arth party of Iraq. These as you know are the strongest independent political group; out of a bunch of independent political groups, who won their place as number one by intimidation. Actually, in that culture, that was a good political ploy because nobody would stand for a weak ruler (government). Here, we have democracy. This doesn't work either because democracy is another political ploy fuelled by neo-liberalism, i.e. the dollar/pound etc.

Marx, I think will have his day in the end. Don't forget, Marx was no communist. He had his house servant and had his children privately educated. He just said the people would eventually get sick of working for cash and would want to work for quality of life. I won't see this in my lifetime (I aspire towards it, as did my parents before me) and I think that quality of life beats cash, however, as Marx implied, it won't happen until

all groups amalgamate into one. This won't happen until the religous zealots on all sides subside. You and I will be long dead by then.

Yes but, be careful of wanting lots of independent groups because it smacks of the likes of the ba-arth party of Iraq. These as you know are the strongest independent political group; out of a bunch of independent political groups, who won their place as number one by intimidation. Actually, in that culture, that was a good political ploy because nobody would stand for a weak ruler (government). Here, we have democracy. This doesn't work either because democracy is another political ploy fuelled by neo-liberalism, i.e. the dollar/pound etc.

Marx, I think will have his day in the end. Don't forget, Marx was no communist. He had his house servant and had his children privately educated. He just said the people would eventually get sick of working for cash and would want to work for quality of life. I won't see this in my lifetime (I aspire towards it, as did my parents before me) and I think that quality of life beats cash, however, as Marx implied, it won't happen until

all groups amalgamate into one. This won't happen until the religous zealots on all sides subside. You and I will be long dead by then.

BB,

I don't advocate independent "groups" but I would like to see local government run by people not swayed by party political dogma and in fighting. For Bedlington to have any imput out of the unholy trinity that is WDC this has to happen.

As for Marx, the populist view is that Marx = communism, a discredited philosophy in these days of comsumerism is king, but as your post points out he was much more than something which has been changed to suit the politicans who were supposed to serve. Personally I think the smaller the world becomes a new philosophy will emerge to encompass it.

BB,

As for Marx, the populist view is that Marx = communism, a discredited philosophy in these days of comsumerism is king, but as your post points out he was much more than something which has been changed to suit the politicans who were supposed to serve. Personally I think the smaller the world becomes a new philosophy will emerge to encompass it.

I've just looked up the word 'communism', and to be honest there isn't a clear meaning, it's not so much political but simply an idealogy that's been bastardised by the greedy and power hungry. Then we have the evangelists, wishing to misinform our kids at school with mythologigical crap they claim as truth and teaching them to fear. We wonder why we have so many screwed up youngsters in our society.

I've just looked up the word 'communism', and to be honest there isn't a clear meaning, it's not so much political but simply an idealogy that's been bastardised by the greedy and power hungry. Then we have the evangelists, wishing to misinform our kids at school with mythologigical crap they claim as truth and teaching them to fear. We wonder why we have so many screwed up youngsters in our society.

I agree Swalnalla but there is something else to think about. A society has to have a structure to enable it to grow and operate effectively, anarchy just leads to a reversal of innovation and intellect. Given that we seem to need to believe in some “greater than us” thing then a benign religious doctrine would seem to fit that bill. Most religions are pretty good at showing people how to live in harmony but as mentioned the zealots corrupt that message for their own goals. You do not have to agree with an omnipotent deity to live a “Christian” type lifestyle. This would reduce all religions to a strictly philosophical level, just the same as capitalism, communism etc. The fact that religions are corrupted by people for their own ends just the same as political systems says more about human nature. It seems a strange nefarious relationship between the elected state, religion and the unelected state, ie. Monarchy. The tie ins are close and they perpetuate each other’s power. In simple terms it is all about control.

No chance.