Pete

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Utopian idealistic nonsense.

Let's hear it then Denzel, we need the benefit of your wisdom, or is your mind ensconced in fairy tales?

The faith spread east through India to China, and reached west throughout the entire length of the Roman frontier; from Scotland to the Sahara Desert, and from Spain to the Black Sea. Sites of Mithraic worship have been found in Britain, Italy, Romania, Germany, Hungary, Bulgaria, Turkey, Persia, Armenia, Syria, Israel, and North Africa. In Rome, more than a hundred inscriptions dedicated to Mithra have been found, in addition to 75 sculpture fragments, and a series of Mithraic temples situated in all parts of the city. One of the largest Mithraic temples built in Italy now lies under the present site of the Church of St. Clemente, near the Colosseum in Rome.

That a Catholic church was built on the ruins of one of the largest Mithraic temples is more than just coincidence. The entire Christian religion is based upon the ruins of the religions that came before it. And not just Mithraism. In fact, some of the base beliefs of Christianity are oft repeated themes that ran through ancient religions for hundreds, even thousands of years before Christ.

B)

The very idea that every single person could possibly work towards one ideal is nonsensical. Just as in every other breed of animal, in particular our simian cousins, an 'alpha male' will always take control of the group in its' entirity.

Furthermore, in order for everyone to be equal, we would need redistribution of wealth and resources. If you like that idea, fine, but try selling it to Joe Bloggs, happily domiciled in his newbuild house with a BMW on the drive.

Oh, and we'd have to eradicate a classic human trait; greed.

Fight the power, comrade.

The very idea that every single person could possibly work towards one ideal is nonsensical. Just as in every other breed of animal, in particular our simian cousins, an 'alpha male' will always take control of the group in its' entirity.

Not entirely true, the status of alpha is generally achieved by means of superior physical prowess. Just like canines and Denzel :D However in certain highly-social species such as the Bonobo apes, the alpha can use more indirect methods (such as political alliances) to oust the ruling alpha and take his/her place (!*!@# commie apes ;) ).

What about the cash nexus? Every single person I know is working towards that ideal

Absolutely, but the 'ideal' I was referring to was Communism. I don't think the pursuit of Mammon can be construed as an ideal; if it was, there'd be no Communism.

Absolutely, but the 'ideal' I was referring to was Communism. I don't think the pursuit of Mammon can be construed as an ideal; if it was, there'd be no Communism.

No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will hold to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon. (Matthew 6:24)

Assuming that the believer interprets "mammon" to include Satan, this verse claims we must either love God and hate Satan or love Satan and hate God. Atheists obviously do not love and serve God, so they must love and serve Satan. :o

Such an argument is invalid, however. First, it assumes the absolute truth of the Bible, or at least of that particular verse. This is a circular argument because it assumes something which is at the heart of the disagreement between the atheist and the Christian. Second, it is an example a False Dilemma fallacy because it assumes that the above are the only two choices. The idea that there may not exist any God or Satan, which would open up a wealth of other possibilities, does not seem to occur to the believer.

The xian belief is far from ideal even without mammon, but if you believe in one you automatically believe in the other. Fairy tales :D

Are you saying that the pursuit of Mammon precedes Communism? Denzil, you and I are in the same boat - neither of us knows what you are talking about. :blink:

Furthermore, in order for everyone to be equal, we would need redistribution of wealth and resources. If you like that idea, fine, but try selling it to Joe Bloggs, happily domiciled in his newbuild house with a BMW on the drive.

Oh, and we'd have to eradicate a classic human trait; greed.

Fight the power, comrade.

Denzel,

I don’t think anyone was advocating communism, only using it as an illustration of a counter philosophy. The problem with it would seem to be the need for a ruling elite to implement it, a strange concept for a doctrine which states everyone is equal? As Orwell said some are more equal than others and that would give credence to your belief in an Alpha male type structure.

As for Joe with his new build and Beemer these trapping of wealth are delusory because he has probably given most of his working life and income to the cash houses. House loan, cheapest borrowing, but you still pay around 3 times the original amount back over 25 years, car loan and plastic, don’t even go there! So even in these days of perceived freedom of choice the vast majority of the population are working for their own version of a ruling elite and that is without any mention of a political or social upper class. Greed is a classical human trait, maybe a throw back from when we needed to eat more than our fill because we didn’t know when the next meal would come walking by, but it is used by capitalism to keep you buying more and more stuff which really isn’t needed.

As for “Utopian idealistic nonsense.” Let’s take a look.

Utopian; every creed and philosophy have an idyll as a goal without it no one would be interested!

Idealistic; of course it is that without ideals there wouldn’t be a structure.

Nonsense; well that is more to do with the spectator and commentator and is purely a personal refection on the subject matter but let’s remember a whole swathe of the world is under what it considers to be a communism banner. Whether it works or not is a different matter.

I presume by your replies you will advocate capitalism as the only true working philosophy, what I would like to ask is how long has it left. Like oil supplies there is a finite amount of time until you get to the last drop and then what. When everyone has the materialism they could ever crave what then? OR when we have decimated the planet to its destruction will that be the end of consumerism?

Are you saying that the pursuit of Mammon precedes Communism? Denzil, you and I are in the same boat - neither of us knows what you are talking about. :blink:

Yes I am saying that. Not everyone is equal and the human race will never be equal. Since the dawn of creation inter-species rivalry has ensured that some flourish to the detriment of others; capitalism and the pursuit of wealth is the modern yardstick. And I don't see that changing.

And as for Communism, has it worked in Cambodia? North Korea? The former USSR? At the head of every Communist government is a dictator content to feather his own nest.

My point is someone will ALWAYS want more than their neighbour, and that not everyone has the same political leanings.

Pissing against the wind BB, he's a creationist :)

Nice one Swalnalla! But - he might be less of an 'ist' and more of an 'ism'

Nice one Swalnalla! But - he might be less of an 'ist' and more of an 'ism'

No offence mind you Denzel

Given that we seem to need to believe in some “greater than us” thing then a benign religious doctrine would seem to fit that bill. Most religions are pretty good at showing people how to live in harmony In simple terms it is all about control.

Yes it is all about control MR, benign religion? Are you dreaming, it doesn't fill any bill, do you trust people who believe in the supernatural to control the future, especially our childrens education . There is nothing benign about religion. Harmony?, history tells us that religion is the direct cause of the killing of millions of people. I say rubbish MR, find something else that is 'greater than us'.

• Christianity is, indeed, the faith that made Europe. From the time it gained ascendancy in the Fourth Century until the Renaissance, the faith fostered — insisted upon — ignorance, illiteracy, superstition, oppression of the masses, bigotry, persecution and virtually endless warfare. And it wasn’t until the 18th Century Enlightenment that man was able to discard the life-denying, knowledge-suppressing power of the Church. Where would Europe be today if it weren’t for Christianity?

Gengis Khan .. now there was a bloke who had a singular thought on society .. get a gang together, bond them in an orgy of violence,then kill all your neighbours and nick their stuff on a GRAND scale... that was the olden days tho, yardsticks change and so do styles , but it rings a bell somewhere

Guest missvic
get a gang together, bond them in an orgy of violence,then kill all your neighbours and nick their stuff on a GRAND scale...

are you referring to the station?