On 17/03/2019 at 18:30, threegee said:

You've got the gender of Cympil wrong I think.  Nothing wrong with patriotic Kippers, unless you've still got a dose of that leftie "common purpose" bilge they serve up at uni, and I'd have hoped you'd have got most of it out of your system by now. :D

I rest my case m'lud.

• 1 year later...

My dad Robin Davidson worked at Netherton Colliery and was sadly killed in a shot firing accident in April 1968 he was married to a netherton lass Peggy Seccombe I remember going to the pit canteen with my dad when he collected his pay on a Friday  

8 hours ago, Paul d said:

My dad Robin Davidson worked at Netherton Colliery and was sadly killed in a shot firing accident in April 1968 he was married to a netherton lass Peggy Seccombe I remember going to the pit canteen with my dad when he collected his pay on a Friday  

Paul

Have you ever looked at the Durham Mining Museum (DMM) site?

the works and The site covers mining in the Northern part of England i.e. County Durham (DUR), Northumberland (NBL), Cumberland (CUL), Westmorland (WES) and the Ironstone mines of North Yorkshire (NRY).

The DMM site is ran by volunteers and they record information on lives lost during the mining period. I do not know a lot about the organisation but a couple of years ago I was helping someone to get the info on their grandfathers tragic accident at the doctor Pit and I got in touch with the DMM ‘Webmaster’ (email address = webmaster@dmm.org.uk ) who updates all the records and info on the site. He told me it was an antiquated system (don’t know what computer system and software they use) and he was the only volunteer they had to maintain and update their records and at that moment in time they have no one that could take over his role when he has to call it a day.

I checked out the DMM site to see if they had a record for your dad and these are the extracts from the site :-   

RBDavidson.jpg

RBDavidson.png

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

• 3 months later...
On 07/03/2013 at 19:59, Maggie/915 said:

In my time at The Netherton Colliery School, two lads lost their father in an accident.

Anyone know more, it was about 1953/4

My memory is about the community pulling together to help the family.

Truly inspirational, in every sense.

In life you try to make a difference.

You help and do not ask for reward.

The reward is to lead a useful life.

I'm searching for photos for my dad (David Halliday) and I believe this might be the same man, he died in an accident around this time down the pit, he taught my dad to play the trombone, any info would be greatly received. 

• Like 2

On 25/08/2007 at 21:49, Cympil said:

Here`s some photo`s of Netherton Colliery and the pitmen that worked there,this would have been the 1960`s sometime?? Does anyone recognise anyone?

P6.jpg

21.jpg

20.jpg

18.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

5.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Raymond Bradley is the first photo. Used to be in the colliery band. I recognise a few others. Photo 7 looks like Joe Johnston. Let me have a think about names...

6 hours ago, BigPat said:

Looks like Sid Smart far left and Freddie Lumsden next to him. 

7 hours ago, BigPat said:

Raymond Bradley is the first photo. Used to be in the colliery band. I recognise a few others. Photo 7 looks like Joe Johnston. Let me have a think about names...

Yes it’s 

Yes it’s Sid Smart 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Samantha Hayton said:

I'm searching for photos for my dad (David Halliday) and I believe this might be the same man, he died in an accident around this time down the pit, he taught my dad to play the trombone, any info would be greatly received. 

@Samantha Hayton - have you looked through the Gallery albums?

Under Historic Bedlington' there are a number of albums on Netherton/Nedderton on Page 1 and on Page 2 there is an album Netherton Colliery Band. I have had a quick scan through the band album and I didn't see the name Halliday on any of the photos but there are many in the photos that are not named. If you scan through the albums it's normal that the first photo posted, for each entry in an album, is the one without any info. Below each photo posted you should see extra comments + the photo with names added.

There are some, not a lot, school photos in the album, Page 1, 'Netherton/Nedderton old photos 2'

Good luck with your search.:)  

6 hours ago, Oneofthevillageschoolkids said:

Yes it’s 

Yes it’s Sid Smart 

@Oneofthevillageschoolkids - we have some names on the photos. This is the photos grouped together, with the names, so if you can identify any that's not named I will add the name to the photo.

Netherton Pitmen with names numbered.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/05/2017 at 19:11, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Heh heh!Too true!

At Bates in 1971-ish,there was an Overman,[herinafter caaled "thi Owaman"],who was a champion leek grower,and I think,President[?],of the Blyth Rosecarpe society[?],and a well known Judge on both circuits.

He was a canny fella,sociable,but he's job was to get work done.....and that he did!

Ivry body that passed him got a job of some sort...!

Alec Waite was he's name.

One day,he came down from 8's district,in the Beaumont seam,and told me he had seen a ghost.

He corrected he'sel,and said"Whey it might not a been a ghost,but a definately saa an apparition."

Three massive wooden airlock doors,under a LOT of Air pressure,had opened and closed one at a time,and he had seen a "Greyish Mist" come through the last door.

Noo these doors were so big and heavy,ye had ti put ya foot against the waal and pull like hell on the handle ti ease the the air pressure,afore ye cud open them ti let a set of three and a half ton mine cars through.[aboot 8' wide x 6' high.]

Within two days,me younger Sister came yem from her work at the Ronson Factory,on Cramlington Ind,Est,and sed.."Howw Youngin,wat's this aboot a Ghost at Bates?,it's aal aroond the factories"!!

The story made the Evening Chronicle front page!

Later on,in fore-shift,one of me Marra's was doon thi pit and the lads got on aboot thi story.

Me Marra,[a proper wit!],torned aroond and sed ti thi lads...."Whey haddaway ti hell,if Alec Waite had seen a ghost

he wudda givven the f.....er a job"!!

The lads aal howled at thi time,in thi pit evironment!

For months afterwards,Alec was sick ti deeth of the greetings he got from ivvry body he saa on he's travels doon thi pit..."Halloww Alec,seen any ghosts lately?"!!

Pitmen were a hard lot when it came to personal feelings,ye developed skin like bell-metal!

Neva in the world! Imagine me joy and surprise googlin me old Grandas name and then comin across this! I'm sat here beaming! Far nye pished mesel! Haha!

If anyone else here knew the bloke, or stories aboot him I'd love to hear them!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Submitted

My name is jim lofthouse born in netherton moved to westlea lived next door but one to ivy short.

Lived 47 howard row

Above was sent to the moderators in error.

Only missing the fact that I was cleaning out the reports to moderators and found it there.  Thought the additional info might be useful to someone, someday - even if it is an AI bot in 2060.  The board software has just been upgraded to the current version, too.

4 hours ago, threegee said:

Only missing the fact that I was cleaning out the reports to moderators and found it there. 

👍

Thought the additional info might be useful to someone, someday - even if it is an AI bot in 2060.

👍

The board software has just been upgraded to the current version, too.

:(

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now