On 17/03/2019 at 18:30, threegee said:

You've got the gender of Cympil wrong I think.  Nothing wrong with patriotic Kippers, unless you've still got a dose of that leftie "common purpose" bilge they serve up at uni, and I'd have hoped you'd have got most of it out of your system by now. :D

I rest my case m'lud.

My dad Robin Davidson worked at Netherton Colliery and was sadly killed in a shot firing accident in April 1968 he was married to a netherton lass Peggy Seccombe I remember going to the pit canteen with my dad when he collected his pay on a Friday  

8 hours ago, Paul d said:

My dad Robin Davidson worked at Netherton Colliery and was sadly killed in a shot firing accident in April 1968 he was married to a netherton lass Peggy Seccombe I remember going to the pit canteen with my dad when he collected his pay on a Friday  

Paul

Have you ever looked at the Durham Mining Museum (DMM) site?

the works and The site covers mining in the Northern part of England i.e. County Durham (DUR), Northumberland (NBL), Cumberland (CUL), Westmorland (WES) and the Ironstone mines of North Yorkshire (NRY).

The DMM site is ran by volunteers and they record information on lives lost during the mining period. I do not know a lot about the organisation but a couple of years ago I was helping someone to get the info on their grandfathers tragic accident at the doctor Pit and I got in touch with the DMM ‘Webmaster’ (email address = webmaster@dmm.org.uk ) who updates all the records and info on the site. He told me it was an antiquated system (don’t know what computer system and software they use) and he was the only volunteer they had to maintain and update their records and at that moment in time they have no one that could take over his role when he has to call it a day.

I checked out the DMM site to see if they had a record for your dad and these are the extracts from the site :-   

RBDavidson.jpg

RBDavidson.png

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

On 07/03/2013 at 19:59, Maggie/915 said:

In my time at The Netherton Colliery School, two lads lost their father in an accident.

Anyone know more, it was about 1953/4

My memory is about the community pulling together to help the family.

Truly inspirational, in every sense.

In life you try to make a difference.

You help and do not ask for reward.

The reward is to lead a useful life.

I'm searching for photos for my dad (David Halliday) and I believe this might be the same man, he died in an accident around this time down the pit, he taught my dad to play the trombone, any info would be greatly received. 

• Like 2

On 25/08/2007 at 21:49, Cympil said:

Here`s some photo`s of Netherton Colliery and the pitmen that worked there,this would have been the 1960`s sometime?? Does anyone recognise anyone?

P6.jpg

21.jpg

20.jpg

18.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

5.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Raymond Bradley is the first photo. Used to be in the colliery band. I recognise a few others. Photo 7 looks like Joe Johnston. Let me have a think about names...

On 05/09/2007 at 12:44, Cympil said:

Here`s a photo of the Miners Picnic, i`m not sure of the date.

post-818-1188981796_thumb.jpg

Looks like Sid Smart far left and Freddie Lumsden next to him. 

6 hours ago, BigPat said:

7 hours ago, BigPat said:

Raymond Bradley is the first photo. Used to be in the colliery band. I recognise a few others. Photo 7 looks like Joe Johnston. Let me have a think about names...

Yes it’s 

Yes it’s Sid Smart 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Samantha Hayton said:

I'm searching for photos for my dad (David Halliday) and I believe this might be the same man, he died in an accident around this time down the pit, he taught my dad to play the trombone, any info would be greatly received. 

@Samantha Hayton - have you looked through the Gallery albums?

Under Historic Bedlington' there are a number of albums on Netherton/Nedderton on Page 1 and on Page 2 there is an album Netherton Colliery Band. I have had a quick scan through the band album and I didn't see the name Halliday on any of the photos but there are many in the photos that are not named. If you scan through the albums it's normal that the first photo posted, for each entry in an album, is the one without any info. Below each photo posted you should see extra comments + the photo with names added.

There are some, not a lot, school photos in the album, Page 1, 'Netherton/Nedderton old photos 2'

Good luck with your search.:)  

6 hours ago, Oneofthevillageschoolkids said:

Yes it’s 

Yes it’s Sid Smart 

@Oneofthevillageschoolkids - we have some names on the photos. This is the photos grouped together, with the names, so if you can identify any that's not named I will add the name to the photo.

Netherton Pitmen with names numbered.jpg

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Hide Adverts

• Latest News

A man has appeared in court over an alleged assault in Bedlington at the weekend.
      Police received a report of an assault at an address on Stakeford Lane at around 2.30pm on Saturday.
      Emergency services attended the scene and a 23-year-old man was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
      Police have said that a 48-year-old man and a 20-year-old man were arrested in connection with the incident.
      However, the 48-year-old man was released with no further action.
      The 20-year-old man has been charged with a section 19 assault and appeared at North Tyneside Magistrates’ Court on Monday.

• Similar Content

• By nurseshouse
      do any of you possibly have any information or photos about the Nurses House (Nurses Cottage) in Choppington please. I am trying to research its history and am having very little luck.  I know that the Kennedys lived here from 1965 and before that was a lady by the name of Isabella Charlton, any help would be greatly received.
    • By johndawsonjune1955
      A reminder for forum users that the Sixtownships website has been updated for June.
      http://www.sixtownships.org.uk
      We have updated our archives with letters from soldiers on the front-line during World War One.
      The letters make fascinating reading and come from the Bedlington, netherton, barrington, tyneside, choppington, alnwick, west sleekburn and other areas.
      For those interested have a good read, you never know you may have family from the past having wrote letters.
      Read how the use of gas by the Germans affected our soldiers, how villages were destroyed, acts of bravery, and much more, including the ultimate sacrifice, death.
      You will never get a better example of life in the trenches and with it written by those who witnessed it.
      No one alive today to tell the story, but these letters tell the story.
      100 years next year since it all began and we aim to add more letters to our archives in the future.
      If you have any letters you would like to share from loved ones from the war, put them on our forum and we will transfer them to our archives.
    • By johndawsonjune1955
      The website has again been updated and this time for the 17th of May.
      The new story, The Zeppelin Raid on the North East, includes photographs and newspaper reposts with pics.
      Log onto : http://www.sixtownships.org.uk
      Here is a little from it.
      About 8. O' clock the Zeppelin passed over the Choppington district on its way to Bedlington. When first seen it was coming from the coast and seemed to have come up the river. In a few seconds a large crowd ran down near to Mr. McHugh's sale rooms, where the Zeppelin was plainly visible, the noise being like that of a steam thrasher. Just at that point men were seen inside the Zeppelin as it hovered over the Social Club on the opposite side of the road, and proceed in a southerly direction. Immediately afterwards there was a flash, and a crack from a bomb followed by others.
      The Zeppelin bombardment is stated to have commenced at 8.12 pm, and to have lasted a very few minutes. The first bomb dropped with a terrific noise just behind the Workmen's Social Club near Choppington Station. The club however suffered no damage, nor was there damage done to any other building or a person injured, though five or six other bombs fell. Three of these fell in Mr. Huntley's field on the Bedlington side, close by. They were incendiary bombs .
    • By Maggie/915
      These days are children may not see the need to vote!
      Democracy may not be good for all, but it is said to be the best of the alternatives.
      I cannot imagine a time when we did not have the privilege to vote.
      This is a topic that I think demands discussion.
      We now feel the politicians can be corrupt.
      The local council used to be referred to as Ali Baba and the forty thieves.
      Vote for Malcolm Robinson MP for Bedlington
  • Latest Topics