When you look at these old pictures, especially the ones of the colliery infrastructure, you get a measure of how important these places were; there are loads of resources to look at which give a true measure of how massive the coal mining industry was and how important it was to the lives of those who relied on it. In addition to the guys underground, it gave local work to local people - all types of trades (fitters, sparks, canteen work, suppliers, etc, etc). Elsewhere on this site people complain about the lack of 'community' in Bedlington - it's sad to realise that once the pits closed that sense 'community' was lost forever. A story repeated all over the coalfields - that evil tyrant Thatcher has a lot to answer for!!!

There's some good websites relating to the pits, The Durham Mining Museum (www.dmm.org.uk) is full of data on our area.

• 1 month later...
Great pics and thanks for sharing them, but alas I don't recognize any of those faces featured. If anyone has anymore, please upload them.

I think we should put all of these old photos into the gallery... threegee could make another section in the Gallery called old photos or something so we could all add our own pics if we've got any.

I know a couple of old people who have interesting photos of Bedlington which cant be found anywhere on the net and it would be nice to create an online record.

What does everyone else think?

I think we should put all of these old photos into the gallery... threegee could make another section in the Gallery called old photos or something so we could all add our own pics if we've got any.

I know a couple of old people who have interesting photos of Bedlington which cant be found anywhere on the net and it would be nice to create an online record.

What does everyone else think?

Good idea..i might be able to get some more photos,most of my relatives lived at Netherton Colliery,i`ll start plaguing them :D

Good idea..i might be able to get some more photos,most of my relatives lived at Netherton Colliery,i`ll start plaguing them :D

:lol:

I mean, once the people who own the photos have gone, the photos tend to go with them (or at least, they end up in the bin).

We might as well get them online, it'll get people onto the site too. We can have our own collection here that cant be found anywhere else on the net.

• 2 years later...

Thanks for these photo's Cympil.

I sadly don't recognise any of these men either.

My whole family, on both sides cane from Netherton Colliery. Maybe your family knows of them. They were the Cunninghams, Tuck & Bell were my Grandparents & had 5 kids, Mary, Sally, Tom, Jack (My Dad) & Bob (the boys all miners at Netherton at some point I believe) My Mam's side were the Shorts of Howard Row. William & Alice (Grandparents) with Ivy, Norman & Reg (also both boys worked in the pit).

I know alot of miners from the Colliery moved up to Westlea when it was built and the community spirit was still strong there when I was growing up.

I remember helping my dad clear the 'tute, as they called it (miners Institute) in the colliery before it was demolished & we found hundreds of pairs of old roller skates. ALso remember the Co-op & the Chapel, which a cousin of mine, Joe Moore, used as a garage during the 70's & 80's.

cracking snaps.

ive got a DVD Industry of Steam (Industrial Steam Railway DVD)

it has photage of colliery in action. and the photos are cracking.

got any more? :lol:

• 3 years later...

My whole family, on both sides cane from Netherton Colliery. Maybe your family knows of them. They were the Cunninghams, Tuck & Bell were my Grandparents & had 5 kids, Mary, Sally, Tom, Jack (My Dad) & Bob (the boys all miners at Netherton at some point I believe) My Mam's side were the Shorts of Howard Row. William & Alice (Grandparents) with Ivy, Norman & Reg (also both boys worked in the pit).

I know alot of miners from the Colliery moved up to Westlea when it was built and the community spirit was still strong there when I was growing up.

I remember helping my dad clear the 'tute, as they called it (miners Institute) in the colliery before it was demolished & we found hundreds of pairs of old roller skates. ALso remember the Co-op & the Chapel, which a cousin of mine, Joe Moore, used as a garage during the 70's & 80's.

• 2 weeks later...

In my time at The Netherton Colliery School, two lads lost their father in an accident.

Anyone know more, it was about 1953/4

My memory is about the community pulling together to help the family.

Truly inspirational, in every sense.

In life you try to make a difference.

You help and do not ask for reward.

The reward is to lead a useful life.

The guy with the thick-set glasses on,in the bottom pic of the first set,smiling,was a fella called Noel Howe,he was working down Choppington High Pit,when I started there in 1959,and was there when I left,in 1965,a few months before the High Pit closed.

The pit closed in 1966,so if Noel went to Netherton pit,then it had to be at LEAST late 1965,when the Coal Board transferred a lot of men in

different directions,i was sent to Bedlington A pit,my marra's went to Longhirst Drift,Netherton,Whittle,etc.

I can mind when Noel bought a N.S.U. "Quickly" 50cc moped,to travel to High Pit,and home.

Bet he wished he had kept it now....they are a rarity!!

i new noel howe at choppington high pit he sure had thick glasses as you say ,one day he was visiting his granny at eastgate as he was leaving to go home he got onto his bycycle and rode away the next thing we seen noel do was crashing into a group of young lads playing football in the street he carried the goal keeper out of his posts

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now