Like: The Local Woods And Country Parks

• 1 year later...
No, I remember the pit heaps they were still there when I left. I have been up there regularly over the years but I can't say that I have ever noticed that they had gone.

Aye aah remember the tips in years gone past, and aah remember slidin doon em on aad conveyor belt pieces an sumtimes landin ina hot spot where the tip was on fire... it was aaal gud fun back then evin if ye got hurt

No, I remember the pit heaps they were still there when I left. I have been up there regularly over the years but I can't say that I have ever noticed that they had gone.

Back in the 60,s and 70,s the pit heaps were used as a giant sliding board, we used to get an old piece of conveyor belt and curl up the front bit with our hands and off we went, the bad part was when you went over a hot spot that caved in and you got burned!!! the real challenge was going off the station heap which seemed to be twice the height and much steeper the the dr pit. walking down the drift was another one of our dares, I never made it to the bottom but some lads claimed they did, it was full of muckle size rats!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

when i was a kid (any years ago lol) we used to play armies in the planters. then later in life, take ya girlfriends (or whatever) for a `romantic walk` ;)

when i was a kid (any years ago lol) we used to play armies in the planters. then later in life, take ya girlfriends (or whatever) for a `romantic walk` ;)

Whilst the younger ones played armies and spied on you! lol....

ahhh, the good old days, made me into the pervert i am today!

• 3 years later...

Can someone settle a debate for me regarding the Bedlington woods. If someone said to you 'Bluebell woods' where in Bedlington would you think they were refering to? Is it Plessey country park or is it the 'other' side of humford across the square stepping stones?

thanks Vic. Thats where i thought it was. But when you try to find the info on google it says they are plessey woods! remember them from when my Dad used to take us as kids and want to carry on the tradition with mine. x

Did not know they had made the pit heaps into a park, something else to have a look at when I come up there.

biggrin.gif

Have you been to Gallagher park yet Pete, i enjoyed walking through there when i was home last time.

• 11 months later...

Much,much better than the big heap it was before they lowered and planted it!

It was the biggest pit heap in the country,burning fiercely constantly,in one night of Hurricane force winds,the flames were whipped up so hot that they melted the bogie rails what took the stones up to thi top the heap!

We kids climbed up to the top after the storm died down,and the heavy rails were melted and distorted like bent pins!!

One day when the contractors were preparing the site to build Bower Grange housing Estate,the Safety Officer from Bates Colliery,was called out to the site.

A huge JCB machine and its driver,plunged 20 feet into a hole which turned out to be old mineworkings from the days when the monks used to mine coal primitavely.

The coal seam was very low,and roadways had been "natched"out from the solid coal,without any explosives,with walls and sides straight as a dye!!

I am just waiting to hear of a house disappearing down a hole,like the one in Florida!

Edited by HIGH PIT WILMA

It'll be like PAINT YOUR WAGON, HPW, when the town disappears. There must be shafts all over Bedlington. My dad was a cutter and died when the roof caved in at Dr. Pit - 1956 - two months before I was born.

I used to see that pit heap every morning when I drew back my bedroom curtains. It was like a mountain on your doorstep. The residents of Rothsay Terrace must have feared for their lives in case there was another Aberfan.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now