Weekend Dads

Hi all,

I'm a 'Weekend dad', by which i mean i pick my 3 boys up on a saturday morning and drop them off on a sunday evening.

Trouble is, My weekday job don't pay well, and the boys always want to do something difforent.

I also have limited access to transport.

My boys are 8,6 and 5, love swimming and play areas but their just so expensive, and its a worry taking 3 children swimming alone.

I hate the fact their sitting infront of the telly or playstation all day, even tho i try to get them interested in making stuff.

Have any of your forum readers got any 'cheep' ideas on how to entertain my boys while the wethers bad?

Today is yet another day where the woods, park, football ground and beach are just too wet, and the cash situation means i cant take them to our usual 'banana beach' or 'bounce' or any of the other attractions i know about nearby!

Please Help!

Guest missvic

There really is very little to do in the area on a gloomy Saturday (the library is open in the morning) unless you’re prepared to travel out of town; there’s some good, free museums in Newcastle – Hancock, Discovery – or some relatively cheap places like the Centre for Life, Segedunum at Wallsend or the Sea Life Centre on the Coast (there may be a free toy museum round there too): these are about the closest places I can think of for a rainy day.

You could always get some raincoats and go on an adventure over the pit heaps, pretending that you’re David Attenbourgh in the rain forests (that’s possibly what I would do with my time on a wet weekend). Or invest in some paints, paper or playdough –you can always make your own with flour and water – and have a day making pretty things to stick on the side of your fridge (look on www.enchantedlearning.com for ideas).

Sorry if that’s of little use to you.

On a positive note, you sound like a really good ‘weekend dad’, so I’m sure that your kids will just be happy to spend time with you!

And it’s the summer soon!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

hi im a weekend dad aswel with not much cash but my son is happy just to be with me i feel the same we can never do much but being with him means such alot to him even if we r stuck in the house if the csa didnt take as much off me we might be able to do more the important think is that ur there for ur kids

hi im a weekend dad aswel with not much cash but my son is happy just to be with me i feel the same we can never do much but being with him means such alot to him even if we r stuck in the house if the csa didnt take as much off me we might be able to do more the important think is that ur there for ur kids

I'm not a weekend father as I'm rather good in relationships.......only joking :P

Personally gents, I would pile the kids into the car and drive the Northumberland Coastal Route; go through Beadnell, Craster etc for some good fresh air and some great views. Stop off at Seahouses for a whale end and chips (£3.50 per portion, economic and wholesome) then maybe finish off with a visit to Holy Island. A nice day out, a bit of fresh air, great history and some good bait. Spot on.

im pleased u think that the amount of money they take off fathers is a joke it leaves u with no money for urself never mind to b able to treat ur kids when u have them for a weekend !!!!!!!

Merely trying to make light of a difficult situation.

Merely trying to make light of a difficult situation.

Quite, light of pocket in certain cases :lol:

Don't knock humford. I have great memories of walking there, (and Plessey Woods) whatever the weather, with my 'weekend dad!'

I seem to remember your auld man behind the bar at the weekends ;)

Well, the CSA is a bit of a !*!@# !

in the past i have worked away from home, only seeing my children for a few days a month. out of the £500 a week i was making they were taking nearly £300 a week. this was because i was registered as living at my parents house, and their income was taken into account. also taken into account was the fact i diddnt pay gas, electric, council tax or anything else as my job ment i stayed in B+B's all the time, at the company's expence, therefore even tho i was working away from home and never saw my family or friends, £200 a week was more than enough to live on in a strange town and with a drink problem! (it got spent each week by wednesday night!)

i pity any single dads who earn more than the minimum wage as for every pound you earn over this, they take almost half!

luckily for me tho, the csa hasnt gotten round to taking money from me for my new job, even tho i've rang them with the details. apparently their too busy chasing those dads who dont want to pay anything!

(advice for those not paying: put money into savings each week, last time they caught up with me i was landed with a £4,000 bill, £3000 of which i knew about and could pay... nearly lost everything i'd worked for over that extra £1,000!)

gonna start a new thread on the csa, as i think alot of dads dont know what its all about...

:huh:

Divorced Father's Bedtime Prayer

Now I lay me down alone

Another day away from home.

I've heard no words of love today

No young one asked to go and play.

No pleasant touch of a lady's hand

That now reaches toward another man.

I wonder if they think of me

And wish for life that used to be.

Or are they glad that I'm not there

Or do they simply just not care?