Name

Pete

I think Raisbecks was a different company they were based at Netherton I think. They used to have a Bedford OB running at one time, fantastic old bus.

Quite right Pete - they had a garage on the sharp bend on Ridge Terrace (the old route) near Red House Farm. In the 60's we used to catch one of their coaches (we called it The Chariot 'cos it was so old) at the top of Front Street to get to school at the B/Station - the fare was 3d (the old threepenny bit).

Quite right Pete - they had a garage on the sharp bend on Ridge Terrace (the old route) near Red House Farm. In the 60's we used to catch one of their coaches (we called it The Chariot 'cos it was so old) at the top of Front Street to get to school at the B/Station - the fare was 3d (the old threepenny bit).

Thought it was a different company, Jordans was based in Bedlington oppisit the Bedlington Mechanic's football ground (Milne Park)

The United bus service use to run via the main road but Raisbecks used to run by the Terrier and down Stead Lane to get to the Station.

Does Raisbecks still exist?

:D

Thought it was a different company, Jordans was based in Bedlington oppisit the Bedlington Mechanic's football ground (Milne Park)

The United bus service use to run via the main road but Raisbecks used to run by the Terrier and down Stead Lane to get to the Station.

Does Raisbecks still exist?

Dont think so, I remember it lasting up until I was in my early years at Meadowdale, it used to be just 10p to get to school on it. I've never seen it since...

I believe Raisbeck recieved a nice offer from whats now arriva for the rights to the route. Possibly about 15 years ago now! at least 10 anyways!

Does Mr Raisbeck still have ties to the Monkey? (Barrington Arms)

Don't know thats a new one on me, what were his ties to the Monkey?

What is the reason why they call the Barrington arms the Monkey?

I believe Raisbeck recieved a nice offer from whats now arriva for the rights to the route. Possibly about 15 years ago now! at least 10 anyways!

Does Mr Raisbeck still have ties to the Monkey? (Barrington Arms)

Aye, 10 years would be about right...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
On 8/17/2007 at 02:17, threegee said:

I remember Sadie Barnes at the Market Place shop. She was perhaps the last of the line - though I think married into the Barnes family. She had a good business head, and it seemed the business didn't survive long after her demise.

In the 1950's / 1960's they had branches in the Market Place, Rothsea Terrace, the Station, and more The wholesale arm probably supplied many smaller local business.

Another famous Bedlington family name for the history books.

We're still going! Sadie's brother Jack was my great grandfather - His wife Ester Annie Louvain Barnes passed away in 2010.

My Wife [then 15 yrs old! in 1961] came home on the day she left school....[Friday..],and passed Barnes at the Station..,she saw an advert in the window,and

went inside to enquire about the job vacancy on the advert..and the boss of the shop,started my Wife on the following Monday!...no summer holidays for that young lassie!

Raisbecks!...one of them,I canna mind if it was Joe,had a unique collection of phrases directed towards passengers....."Howweh then,lowp oot!"......"Ennybody fo'

thi boneyard ?!!"....[Westlea Cemetary], amongst them!!

• 4 months later...
On 12 August 2007 at 17:28, Pete said:

At the bottom of Rothesay Terrace there used to be a co-op, they used to deliver milk but a bit further down there used to be another shop and they used to deliver milk. What was the mane of that shop its driving me mad trying to think of its name.

To the left on the co-op as you looked at it there used to be a shop called Barns not sure if its still there.

Help

I think this was Mr Whales shop 

On 28 August 2007 at 14:30, Pete said:

Don't know thats a new one on me, what were his ties to the Monkey?

What is the reason why they call the Barrington arms the Monkey?

I read somewhere that the landlord, during the war and rationing times, used to put a toy monkey in the window to let his regulars know that he had had a delivery of beer.

Bay

1 hour ago, Bayardm said:

I read somewhere that the landlord, during the war and rationing times, used to put a toy monkey in the window to let his regulars know that he had had a delivery of beer.

An uncle on mine, born Beatty Road, Bedlington, 1938 said the story about the Monkey in the window was not true.

However tThe Barrington Arms got a paragraph in Issue No 138 - February/March 2014 of The Northumbrian - Gordon Wilkinson (journalist I think) on a subject 'How a Pub makes a name for itself' has written :-

...... However a look in the window of the Barrington Arms in Bedlington during the Second World War could have brought good news to those fancying a pint. Beer was rationed in those days but it could be in short supply , so the landlord would stick a stuffed monkey in the window to tip off those in the know that he had received a consignment. The pub has been named the nicknamed The Monkey ever since.'

--------------------------

No mention of where he got the story from.

Edited by Eggy1948
'i' before 'e' except after 'c'

ref Brian Yarrow - I have posted on other threads re the Yarrow family originating at Choppington Staion, with a shop there.

The Morpeth soft drinks company was originally based in the Chantry and was Waters and Robson,  company sold now I think but I believe they still supply water to the House of Commons.

Was at school with Mandy Robson and they used to live at Fairmoor, Morpeth.

?? \Gordon?? Muter I seem to recall was a special constable.

• 3 months later...

I remember the co-op near Rothesay Terrace, it was the Blyth Co-op and there was the dairy behind it, they were the first ones to have electric milk floats.

There was a bus stop right outside the co-op, it cost a half penny from the market place to the Blyth Store stop

Barnes the greengrocers was actually their whole sale depot, I remember when I got married in 1967 they supplied all the flowers.

I also remember the other shop in that area Fletchers tobaconist and sweet shop. further down past Hardies shop were Metcalfs Stores the cut that ran opposite down to Waverley Ave and Coquetdale Place was also known as Metcalf's cut.

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now