Name

Pete

At the bottom of Rothesay Terrace there used to be a co-op, they used to deliver milk but a bit further down there used to be another shop and they used to deliver milk. What was the mane of that shop its driving me mad trying to think of its name.

To the left on the co-op as you looked at it there used to be a shop called Barns not sure if its still there.

Help

:D

At the bottom of Rothesay Terrace there used to be a co-op, they used to deliver milk but a bit further down there used to be another shop and they used to deliver milk. What was the mane of that shop its driving me mad trying to think of its name.

To the left on the co-op as you looked at it there used to be a shop called Barns not sure if its still there.

Help

Can't answer the first two but Barnes' no longer there,if its the fruiters your on about!

Yes Barnes was a fruiters, I think I have remembered the name of that shop, it was Hardy's I think.

Hi Pete you're right, it was Hardy's, i think it was owned by a brother and sister. The shop has stood empty for years up until a couple of years ago when the propery was sold and has been converted into two flats.

Hi Pete you're right, it was Hardy's, i think it was owned by a brother and sister. The shop has stood empty for years up until a couple of years ago when the propery was sold and has been converted into two flats.

Thanks Charlie I thought I had got the right name. I remember the guy that delivered the milk he used to clean windows in the afternoons, he feel off the ladder one day and ended up in ashington hospital.

Thanks Charlie I thought I had got the right name. I remember the guy that delivered the milk he used to clean windows in the afternoons, he feel off the ladder one day and ended up in ashington hospital.

:o

Did he survive?

Can't answer the first two but Barnes' no longer there,if its the fruiters your on about!

I remember Sadie Barnes at the Market Place shop. She was perhaps the last of the line - though I think married into the Barnes family. She had a good business head, and it seemed the business didn't survive long after her demise.

In the 1950's / 1960's they had branches in the Market Place, Rothsea Terrace, the Station, and more The wholesale arm probably supplied many smaller local business.

Another famous Bedlington family name for the history books.

I remember Sadie Barnes at the Market Place shop. She was perhaps the last of the line - though I think married into the Barnes family. She had a good business head, and it seemed the business didn't survive long after her demise.

In the 1950's / 1960's they had branches in the Market Place, Rothsea Terrace, the Station, and more The wholesale arm probably supplied many smaller local business.

Another famous Bedlington family name for the history books.

Do you remember when Barnes had mobile shops that traveled around the housing estates, a guy that worked for them left and started his own business and took over the rounds. He used to have a couple of Bedford OB coaches converted into mobile shops, I think his name was Gibson.

I believe Muters pop was another famous name of that period or am I just having a laps of memory? It may be Woods that I am thinking of.

:o

Did he survive?

Yes he did Blank, it was not long before he was delivering the milk and cleaning windows again. I have a vague memory of the milk float being horse drawn but I could be getting mixed up with Ringtons tea as they delivered by horse and cart in them days.

Do you remember when Barnes had mobile shops that traveled around the housing estates, a guy that worked for them left and started his own business and took over the rounds. He used to have a couple of Bedford OB coaches converted into mobile shops, I think his name was Gibson.

Now that you mention it, they had those too! Ronnie Gibson is name that rings a bell. The same Gibson possibly?

I believe Muters pop was another famous name of that period or am I just having a laps of memory? It may be Woods that I am thinking of.

Muters indeed! Pop factory at the station. Careful what you say about the family pop as the name lives on. :D Nice people the Muter kids, though I've lost touch. Yes, Woods soft drinks too, but weren't they Morpeth or somewhere else locally?

• Like 1

Now that you mention it, they had those too! Ronnie Gibson is name that rings a bell. The same Gibson possibly?

Muters indeed! Pop factory at the station. Careful what you say about the family pop as the name lives on. :D Nice people the Muter kids, though I've lost touch. Yes, Woods soft drinks too, but weren't they Morpeth or somewhere else locally?

No.

Woods were down the the Furnace Bank, on the right hand side.

They closed just before the start of WW2.

I don't know when their factory building was demolished.

Joe

Yes he did Blank, it was not long before he was delivering the milk and cleaning windows again. I have a vague memory of the milk float being horse drawn but I could be getting mixed up with Ringtons tea as they delivered by horse and cart in them days.

I remember Brian Yarrow delivering milk from a horse drawn cart. The horse was called Tonto he used to let us ride up our street on the back of the cart. Him and his mother had the little shop at the top of Beech Grove (surprisingly enough it was called Yarrows!) and the dairy was behind the shop. I think Brian is still delivering the milk but he has a fancy electric milk float now. Progress? ;)

I remember Brian Yarrow delivering milk from a horse drawn cart. The horse was called Tonto he used to let us ride up our street on the back of the cart. Him and his mother had the little shop at the top of Beech Grove (surprisingly enough it was called Yarrows!) and the dairy was behind the shop. I think Brian is still delivering the milk but he has a fancy electric milk float now. Progress? ;)
Is Yarrow's still there oppisit the coffin chapel?

Yes Threegee it was Ronnie Gibson he actually lived just down the street from barnes.

As far as I am aware Woods was Bedlington, I remember a house on the estate opposite Barnes where you could knock on the door and you could purchase Woods pop from them, we used to have pop from them at the weekend.

We used to get our milk from a guy with a horse-drawn cart - the name Tonto sounds familiar. The beast knew its round - walking to the appropriate house, stopping whilst the Milky got the order, then walking-on to the next house on command of a whistle. There used to an old woman down our street who owned a parrot whose cage was in the front window; this bird picked-up the sound of the Milky's whistle and on a couple of occasions called the horse on when the guy was at a front door. He had to chase after the horse to restore order. He asked the old girl to move the parrot.

No.

Woods were down the the Furnace Bank, on the right hand side.

They closed just before the start of WW2.

I don't know when their factory building was demolished.

Joe

Joe. did they start production somewhere else as I remember their pop in the fifties. I remember a pop factory at the Station, not sure if it was Muters or Woods or am I just loosing my memory.

We used to get our milk from a guy with a horse-drawn cart - the name Tonto sounds familiar. The beast knew its round - walking to the appropriate house, stopping whilst the Milky got the order, then walking-on to the next house on command of a whistle. There used to an old woman down our street who owned a parrot whose cage was in the front window; this bird picked-up the sound of the Milky's whistle and on a couple of occasions called the horse on when the guy was at a front door. He had to chase after the horse to restore order. He asked the old girl to move the parrot.

:lol::lol::lol:

Joe. did they start production somewhere else as I remember their pop in the fifties. I remember a pop factory at the Station, not sure if it was Muters or Woods or am I just loosing my memory.

If you want the best source of information on Bedlington firms of the 50's and 60's, ask Evan Martin, or alternatively any housewife who was buying the groceries in those days. She would have to be in her 70's or 80's, but she would more likely know.

I left the UK in 1953, soe I wouldn't know about changes after that!

Joe.

I remember a Mynah (is that how you spell it?) Bird in a newsagents at the station. It could talk great style!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now